Moving house gives me a great excuse...

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
...for new speakers!

I've been off the forum for ages but having a quick look round this evening, looks like loads of the helpful folks are still on here so fingers crossed you can help with my latest conundrum...speakers!

We are moving house and whilst we have more space as a whole, the lounge is a we bit smaller than where we are at the moment which means I won't have quite as much breathing space for speakers. My current speakers, Kef R100s, are 12 inches are away from the back wall and of course rear firing. They sound great in our current place but I can't help thinking that sealed or front firing speakers with a larger mid/bass driver will be more suitable.

I would however like deeper and more punchy bass rather than the sometimes overblown bass I get from my current speakers. My current amp is an Arcam A38 which I don't intend changing for the time being and I have a budget of £1000-1500. Happy with standmounts or smaller floorstanders.

Your help building a shortlist as always, is very much appreciated!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You could try the R300/500, if you nave room to let them breathe.

You could also look at Q Acoustics Concept 40 and Proac Studio 148.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i think the obvious choice given your set up would be some pmc's.

you can pick up some used .22's within your budget or some older versions for even more of a saving.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Cno - Would love to try the next ones up in the R range but I won't have as much room in the new place hence looking at sealed or front firing speakers. I like the look of the Proacs though. I think the 118s might be more suitable but will have to have a measure up for the 148s!

Cheers!

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Micky - I heard some 23s ages ago on the end of an Arcam A49 and was very taken with their sound, although a bit of a stretch for the wallet! I'll certainly keep an eye out for the 22s.

Cheers!

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Can't vouch for them personally but the Tannoy xt6f is getting great reviews and is a down/slightly forward firing port.

Is the Spendor A5r out of the question on price?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Worth trying the Sonus faber Venere 1.5s. They have a front slot port, so are very happy sitting hard up against a wall. The sound is quite 'grown up' and mellow: an interesting contrast to the PMCs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
CnoEvil said:
A suggestion from left field - Diapason Micra 111 NW.

(Sorry, I misread your post and thought you had more room).

Love a bit a leftfield!
In that case:
GamuT Phi 3
Triangle 30th Edition Espirit Comete
Mark and Daniels Maximus Mini
Acoustic Energy AE1
Paradigm Studio 20

rainsoothe

Hi. Dunno how the A38 sounds, but I'm using Focal Aria 906 with A19 and they sound amazing. Plus, they're not too fussy about positioning. Others to audition should be closed box designs, so +1 to PMC Twenty 22 and ATC SCM11.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
p_m_brown said:
CnoEvil said:
A suggestion from left field - Diapason Micra 111 NW.

(Sorry, I misread your post and thought you had more room).

Love a bit a leftfield!
In that case: GamuT Phi 3 Triangle 30th Edition Espirit Comete Mark and Daniels Maximus Mini Acoustic Energy AE1 Paradigm Studio 20

Nice one, some interesting ones there for sure - the GamuT and Paradigm look interesting. Quite like the idea of a larger mid/bass driver to really get air moving!

Don't discount the pmc twenty 21,they've got plenty of bass for their size and if your lounge is a bit smaller,I think the 22's might just be a bit much.the twenty 21 are well within your budget and have the same drivers as the 23.Lovely in the diamond black they've got that punchy agile bass also.worthy of an audition (at home)if you can get one.

D

Deleted member 116933

Hi There.

I have some experance with PMC's and i have to say thery're a little marmite to be honest some people rave about the sound and others don't. The transmission line can do some funny things in the home enviroment (as i found out! loved them in the shop not so much at home) and though thery're front ported they still require a fair bit of breathing space. Especailly the 23's 50 to 60cm (if not more) and your getting somewhere and well over a meter from the side walls. I should image the same goes for the 22's if not more due to the bigger driver, didnt try them at home so can't really commenton them to much. The 21's you should be able to get alot closer to the rear wall than its bigger brothers. If you have a suppend floor (townhouse for example) the low firing port on the 23's will be a pain sending the bass through the floor.

But those observations where in my enviroment and will be completly different in yours.

But there are some rear firing speakers that can go pretty close to the wall also! But granted front firing are easier to place. If you want to get really close to wall look at nothing else other than sealed unit's ATC as mention above but i have no experiance with them at all so can't really coment.

I really think in this situation your going to have to get someone to let you try them at home within the your parameters. It will be a some what a blind experance in the dealers as everything will be ideal following the golden rules. By all means go and get a rough idea at the dealers but the acid test will be at home. Any dealer worth there salt will allow this.

Have you thought about small rear firing speakers like the kef LS50 (pretty bass light) and Revel m105 (like the kef but warmer) i have there bigger brother the m106 on some custom design 206 stands.

Just my 2 cents with speakers i have experance with but works for me might not work for you.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your insight into the PMC speakers. The little ones will probably be on the audition list but one of my main criteria for the new speakers is deeper bass, not necessarily more bass. My current R100s have a small 5" cone so deeper bass is not really physically possible, however, there is plenty of perceived bass due to the clever porting. That is my only slight concern with the PMCs but I will have to take a listen to qualify that concern

I quite like the look of the ATC SCM19s given they have a slightly larger midrange driver and are sealed, but are a little out my price range. Unless of course Rick at Music Craft can do me a stellar deal!

D

Deleted member 116933

p_m_brown said:
Thanks for your insight into the PMC speakers. The little ones will probably be on the audition list but one of my main criteria for the new speakers is deeper bass, not necessarily more bass. My current R100s have a small 5" cone so deeper bass is not really physically possible, however, there is plenty of perceived bass due to the clever porting. That is my only slight concern with the PMCs but I will have to take a listen to qualify that concern

I quite like the look of the ATC SCM19s given they have a slightly larger midrange driver and are sealed, but are a little out my price range. Unless of course Rick at Music Craft can do me a stellar deal!

Your most welcome!

When listerning to PMC 21's you mustn't confuse bass weight with depth (which i think you have sorted). You will find they don't really have alot of slam so to some they sound lean but there is a depth about them that some dont hear/see and the tweeter is glorious it really is. I really like the light oak... and that is somthing i miss with my current speakers. Oh and you a get a 20 year warranty with them also!!!

Rick will see you through it and sort you out im sure.... Exciting times have fun!!! report back when you found your bliss

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I sure will. So I have a fun listening day planned tomorrow -

Neat Motive SX2

ATC SCM11 (the 19s are HUGE so are out)

PMC Twenty 21s and 22s

Rega RX3

Plus some German speakers I have never heard of called Audio Physics of various types!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've heard Audio Physic speakers (with a Belles amp) and quite liked them...they should really have been on my leftfield list.

D

Deleted member 116933

p_m_brown said:

Neat Motive SX2

PMC Twenty 21s and 22s

Rega RX3

Plus some German speakers I have never heard of called Audio Physics of various types!

I rekon you will like the Neats they have a nice full sound at least with my naim they do!

You might be supised by the german speakers!!! i love it went dealers bring out somthing different its like you've found somthing that not body else has.

Also ask to audition a small sub with the standmounts and see if that dose anything for you! You may be supprised?

Im excited for yah i miss doing all the research now ive bought all mine..LOL i have nothing to do at night now.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
millennia_one said:
Im excited for yah i miss doing all the research now ive bought all mine..LOL i have nothing to do at night now.
It's at that this point that you can spend your time persuading other folk to buy sh!t....vicarious enjoyment that costs nowt.

rainsoothe

p_m_brown said:

Neat Motive SX2

PMC Twenty 21s and 22s

Rega RX3

nice list there - enjoy :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts