movie and music -best compromise

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

Some advice please for a newcomer. I'm looking for AV receiver, 5.1 speakers and maybe a CD player to hook up to PS3 and 42" Panasonic PZ70 TV.

I'm also a bit of a keen music listener.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Onkyo SR606 and maybe something like Monitor Audio's RB5s in a package (~£700)

-Are these speakers too "rich" for this amp?

-The Onkyo allegedly only outputs up to 720p/1080i. Does this mean I have to look elsewhere if I want to continue watching the PS3 in Full HD?

-How much should I spend on speakers/ CD player in relation to the £400 Onkyo?

Thanks.

magicshaunson

Apr 18, 2008
Visit site
Additional:

Would the Sony STR-DA1200ES be a better bet: heard it does the stereo a better, but no HD decoding.Is this an issue , as PS3 can now do all the major HD sound decoding itself?

A

Anonymous

Stick with the Onkyo, it supports HD audio, the sony doesn't. I have the BR2 AV package with the SR605, and I really like it, the stereo is good too. The BR5s might give you a better stereo sound with a little bit more presence, but it depends on the size of your room as to wether it will be too much.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the Onkyo 606 supports 1080p passthrough so yes, this will be fine. It's only sources which are inputting less than 720p / 1080i that it will upscale to this, it won't downscale anything (AFAIK).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts