Most/least favourite album or performance of the decade?

Yes, it's that time of the year and a new decade dawns....crikey, has it really been almost ten years since the Millenium Dome was the centrepiece of the 21st Centuary celebrations....

What is your fav album or maybe performance over the past 10 years?

I don't have one real standout album, albeit there's been some good'ns. For me the performance has to be Brian Wilson's 'Smile' album. I'm not a big fan of the Beach Boys, but given the album was first conceived in 1967 and completed in 2003 (?), and he went on to perform these tracks live must be one of the most incredible performances of all time.

Your thoughts, please.....

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Yes, it's that time of the year and a new decade dawns....crikey, has it really been almost ten years since the Millenium Dome was the centrepiece of the 21st Centuary celebrations....

I don't have one real standout album, albeit there's been some good'ns. For me the performance has to be Brian Wilson's 'Smile' album. I'm not a big fan of the Beach Boys, but given the album was first conceived in 1967 and completed in 2003 (?), and he went on to perform these tracks live must be one of the most incredible performances of all time.

I'd forgotten about "Smile". I saw Brian Wilson on his Pet Sounds tour about 5 times and then the same on the Smile tour in Royal Festival Hall. Brian's performance was by no means perfect, but the very fact he was there playing the songs was a miracle in itself. The band (The wondermints?) were excellent and the energy in the place absolutely unbelievable. So certainly thats my favourite performance.

As for album - think thats a tricky one. Its easy to forget albums from the earlier part of the decade, so I am sure theres some equally as good ones, however as I am forgetful I would probably say Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid.

matthewpiano

My favourite performance of the decade, and of all time, was an evening spent at the Bridgewater Hall attending an Alfred Brendel recital about 5 years ago. I doubt anything will ever come close to being in the presence of my all-time pianistic hero playing right at the peak of his form.

The best rock gig I've been to is harder to choose but, because the music means so much to me and because the performances were absolutely incredible on the night I'd have to choose the special gig John Lees Barclay James Harvest did to thank the fans at the Lowry in Salford, earlier this year. It was an amazing night and a real privilege to hear those truly great (and massively under-rated) BJH songs performed so beautifully.

The worst gig was Bob Dylan at Sheffield a couple of years ago. It was dire in every conceivable way.

In terms of albums, on the popular music side I'd pick out Johnny Cash's series of American Recordings, and Neil Diamond's '12 Songs' - all produced by the brilliant Rick Rubin. From younger artists I would choose 'Absolution' by Muse and 'Hail To The Thief' by Radiohead.

Reissues of the decade? The first four Neil Young reissues on the popular side, and EMI's 'Great Recordings of the Century' series for classical music.

On the classical side Antonio Pappano takes the crown for me. His Verdi 'Requiem' and Tchaikovksy orchestral recordings have been mesmerising. For piano music Marc-Andre Hamelin has continued to produce thought-provoking, challenging and beautifully played discs, and Stephen Hough has cemented his position as one of the finest pianists in the world.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:

The Killers last album.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:My favourite performance of the decade, and of all time, was an evening spent at the Bridgewater Hall attending an Alfred Brendel recital about 5 years ago. I doubt anything will ever come close to being in the presence of my all-time pianistic hero playing right at the peak of his form. The best rock gig I've been to is harder to choose but, because the music means so much to me and because the performances were absolutely incredible on the night I'd have to choose the special gig John Lees Barclay James Harvest did to thank the fans at the Lowry in Salford, earlier this year. It was an amazing night and a real privilege to hear those truly great (and massively under-rated) BJH songs performed so beautifully. The worst gig was Bob Dylan at Sheffield a couple of years ago. It was dire in every conceivable way. In terms of albums, on the popular music side I'd pick out Johnny Cash's series of American Recordings, and Neil Diamond's '12 Songs' - all produced by the brilliant Rick Rubin. From younger artists I would choose 'Absolution' by Muse and 'Hail To The Thief' by Radiohead. Reissues of the decade? The first four Neil Young reissues on the popular side, and EMI's 'Great Recordings of the Century' series for classical music. On the classical side Antonio Pappano takes the crown for me. His Verdi 'Requiem' and Tchaikovksy orchestral recordings have been mesmerising. For piano music Marc-Andre Hamelin has continued to produce thought-provoking, challenging and beautifully played discs, and Stephen Hough has cemented his position as one of the finest pianists in the world.

Interesting you mention the Pappano Verdi Requiem, Matthew - I got a copy, ostensibly to replace by Shaw recording on Telarc, and although it's undoubtedly a visceral performance, I find the recording disappointingly lacking in transparency, and the soloists a bit of a mixed bag so I went back to the Telarc - just shows you can't please everyone!

Anyway, for me the classical choice would be the Vernon Handley Bax Symphonies set on Chandos. I also have a fondness for organ music, and Jeremy Filsell's disc of Cochereau improvisations at Liverpool RC Cathedral is just amazing - and then there's Angela Hewitt's 2008 Well-Tempered Clavier on Hyperion. For rock I have so enjoyed getting into Porcupine Tree recently, especially "In Absentia", but Muse's "Black Holes and Revelations" is also rarely far away from my player.

A

Anonymous

My favorite performance of the decade and likewise of all time was the 2004 showing of the fully restored Kevin Brownlow version of Abel Gance's masterpiece "Napoleon" (1927). This also featured the live performance of Carl Davis' score performed by London Philharmonic (I think) and conducted by Davis. Sadly I shall never see it's like again as the copyright to the movie is now owned by the Coppolla family who forbid the performance of any variant on their vastly inferior version.

Music wise best of decade I would rate as Elbow's "Seldom Seen Kid", with the Live at Abbey Road Studios version being even better than the album.

On a more personal basis I'd also opt for the Arthur Lee and Love's Festival Hall performance of the "Forever Changes" album and also The Fat Lady Sings reunion gig!

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Can't believe this decade is about to end!

Too many to chose from but my favourite album is definitely one of:
Muse - Absolution
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Strokes - First impressions of earth
Iron & Wine - Ou rendless numbered days
white Stripes - Elephant
Bon Iver - For Emma, for ever ago

edit: maybe I shouldn't leave The Flaming Lips - At war with the mystics, out

A

Anonymous

Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea by the Silver Jews has been a massive favourite since it's release about 18 months ago. Still play it at least once a week. Probaby should also mention Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground by Bright Eyes.

Best performance was Half Man Half Biscuit at Liverpool Carling Academy about three years ago and Brian Wilson at Glastonbury about three or four years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts