Most influential recording, and why.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Oh, wiki again. I've seen that list - and without Stevie Wonder none of them would be around including MJ.

Not to be argumentative, but that's not necessarily true: Stevie started his career in 1962 and MJ started in 1964, so they were more contemporaries than really a clear case of one inspiring the other... I suspect they both drew some amount of inspiration from the works of each other and, of course, those who came before them.

Anyway, I think we've found the source of our disagreement. I don't limit the term "influence" to the person who is credited with creating a genre... If we go by that then by default the most infuential recording must be the very first recording, as everything stems from that... Even if no modern artist has heard that first recording...

If I said I was inspired to become a lawyer because my dad is a lawyer, would we argue that my dad didn't influence me and it was really the first lawyer in history, who influenced me?

Anyway, I guess we can just agree to disagree on the term influence in this context. But IMO MJ is easily one of the most influential artists and Thriller would be my pick for my influential recording.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
manicm said:
Oh, wiki again. I've seen that list - and without Stevie Wonder none of them would be around including MJ.

Anyway, I think we've found the source of our disagreement. I don't limit the term "influence" to the person who is credited with creating a genre... If we go by that then by default the most infuential recording must be the very first recording, as everything stems from that... Even if no modern artist has eard that first recording...

I don't totally agree, if no one hears the recording how can that be an influence? Many big stars have taken ideas from lesser known artists and made them well known, you often read that in reviews. I think you can go back before recordings, look at classical music in mid ages, no recordings then.

Maybe Jelly Roll Morton first recording?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Ajani said:
manicm said:

Anyway, I think we've found the source of our disagreement. I don't limit the term "influence" to the person who is credited with creating a genre... If we go by that then by default the most infuential recording must be the very first recording, as everything stems from that... Even if no modern artist has eard that first recording...

I don't totally agree, if no one hears the recording how can that be an influence? Many big stars have taken ideas from lesser known artists and made them well known, you often read that in reviews. I think you can go back before recordings, look at classical music in mid ages, no recordings then.

Maybe Jelly Roll Morton first recording?

I think you and I are on the same page as it relates to influence.

Should the person who creates a genre be credited with influencing everyone else who later becomes involved in the genre (even persons who never heard the creator's work)?

Or should the person who made the genre massively popular, and who many young artists grew up listening to and wanting to be, receive credit for influencing those young artists?

I lean towards the latter. Since I regard that person as being responsible for really spreading the genre. I appreciate that thegenre wouldn't exist without the creator, but it also wouldn't be popular without the genre master who spread it...

TRENDING THREADS