Most flexible HI-FI setup

christianjensen

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I move around alot, and was wondering what the most flexible HI-FI setup is, when you don't know which room and acustic space you will be using your setup in? What is most flexible? Floorstanding speakers, sattelite speakers with a sub? Other?

TIA

matthewpiano

In that situation I'd be looking at a good pair of active speakers, which include the amplification in the cabinets. Ideally I'd want something like the AVI ADM9.1RSS as it has the DAC built-in too. Just plug a laptop into the speakers and away you go.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The Sonos system is amazingly mobile. It has its own wireless network, and the speakers (which include amplification, DAC and streaming) are designed to be portable.

Matt

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
There is a very positive thread on another forum, from somebody using a pair of Sonos Play 1s. It has to be the simplest stereo set up going. However they have no line in so no access to the internet means no music.

Maybe investigate speakers with Bluetooth built in. Your smartphone, table, laptop will be your source.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
There is a very positive thread on another forum, from somebody using a pair of Sonos Play 1s. It has to be the simplest stereo set up going. However they have no line in so no access to the internet means no music.

Maybe investigate speakers with Bluetooth built in. Your smartphone, table, laptop will be your source.

The Play:5 at $399 per unit has line in and can be configured as a stereo pair.

The beauty of this is that you can use them as a stereo pair in a larger room or as mono singles in other smaller rooms. Changing the settings is dead easy.

If you prefer the look of the Play:1 or Play:3 (which can both be used either mono or stereo) but want line in (as Richard suggests) you could add a Connect and plug e.g. a CD player into that. The Connect wouldn't have to be in the same room as your music is playing in.

Matt

christianjensen

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I think Sonos could be the way to go as well. What is the simplest setup to get going given that:

- I primarily use Spotify for streaming musing, but also Youtube (less so)

- have no speakers

- have no amp

- Would eventually like to connect a CD player (wife is emotionally attached to old CDs) :)

Bridge + 2 x Sonoys Play:1?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Trouble is the Play 1 doesn't have line in. But you could put a pair in a small bag and take around easily.

As Matt says, a pair of Play 5s might suit more if you want to add a cdp.

How do you access YouTube ?

christianjensen

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Right now, I only have a simple speaker dock with an AirPort express connected, so it's all AirPlay at this point in time, with all the benefits and disadvantages of that...

It could make sense, I guess, to start with the bridge and two Play:1s to get a feel for the setup. If I need to upgrade with a CD player at some time, I could then throw in two Play:3 or Play:5s with a Connect, right?

That way I could give Sonos a spin, to evaluate and still be able to grow with it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
2 Dali Kubik Free for about £1k would be a decent setup and very mobile.

You can add a sub which makes a positive difference.

You can stream music to them via bluetooth - so exteremely versatile of the product you use or via any digital cabelled source such as a computer.

Stand or wall mount them.

Have demo'd them they are good - you get proper stereo imaging from them - not just noise like most docks, small speaker systems will produce

WHF 5 Star Product

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Those were the ones I was trying to think of.

I think Bluetooth has a lot to offer.

You are starting to get close in price to the AVI ADM9RS, which are amazing.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
christianjensen said:
Right now, I only have a simple speaker dock with an AirPort express connected, so it's all AirPlay at this point in time, with all the benefits and disadvantages of that...

It could make sense, I guess, to start with the bridge and two Play:1s to get a feel for the setup. If I need to upgrade with a CD player at some time, I could then throw in two Play:3 or Play:5s with a Connect, right?

That way I could give Sonos a spin, to evaluate and still be able to grow with it.

Exactly. The system is wonderfully expandable.

The news is that there's a software update in the pipeline which will mean you won't need to buy a Bridge. The Sonos network will now be able to connect wirelessly to your wifi router, and you won't need to have a Bridge or other copmponent hard-wired to it. I think this is due in the next week or two.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It depends how much performance you actually want.

Given the budget I really can not see past the AVI ADM9RS. For £1250 you get a remote control system with two digital and one analogue input, built in dac and a high quality pair of active speakers.

Connect your AEX to one of the digital ins, a CD player either digitally or analogue and you are good to go. Way better than any of the other options performance wise, just depends on how you see things in terms of practicality and functionality.

christianjensen

May 11, 2014
Visit site
That would make a lot of sense, to avoid the bridge and make use of WI-FI directly, seems like an extra component you could get rid of. Also, it looks like a serious update of the app is coming too: http://www.iclarified.com/40522/a-look-at-the-upcoming-new-sonos-controller-app-video

found the Sonos blog post about the software update http://blog.sonos.com/news/our-vision-for-rock-solid-wireless-evolved/

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Here's a non-Sonos alternative:

NAD D7050 £800

It has Airplay, Bluetooth and now Spotify Connect (which should help your battery life on whatever you're streaming from). It has 2 optical, 2 coax and 1 usb input (so you're well covered for adding a CD at some point). It has DSP settings for the PSB Imagine Mini and Imagine T speakers with a pre-out for subwoofer or a second amp.

Obviously it doesn't have the multi-room flexibility of the Sonos, but it remains a very adaptable product and apart from speakers manages to get all that into one box.

TRENDING THREADS