MOS-FET vs non MOS-FET based amps

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello, another topic which a bit bothers me as I am not so topology techie-profi guys like many of you ( rather a good listener ;) ) from my experience, amps which are equipped with MOS-FET transistors actually sound different. More mature with emphasis on airy treble. In general MosFet amps are more expensive. Is it just a matter of sound preference or indeed MOSFET amps sound better in any case compared to "normal" transistor amps. I have heard some MOSFET amps and need to say they really sound good. But also I heard many good sounding non MOSFET ones ( bipolar transistor based ) Is it just a "pluses and minuses" of both ? Or indeed MOSFETs are best way to go for transistor amps ?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
i have known 'mosfet' as in between 'ss' and 'valve'. Is has the positive and negative from both, so could well be just your thing. It depends on your choice of speakers too. Listening will give you an answer to your question. There is no 'right' or 'wrong'.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
The biggest difference I have noticed between bipolar and mosfet is in airy sound reproduction. Bipolar offer a bit full bodied and kinda rough sound ( more dynamic though ) whereas MOSFETs offer a bit lighter, airy and more resolution based treble with a bit refined sound. A bit more mature but again a bit less dynamic with tendency to warm sound.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
At a certain point, it was in to have Mosfets based amps.

Then, not too long ago, it was the golden age of bipolar. Everything needed to be that.

Now, we unpack the mosfets again.

Both made sound, and both can be ruined in attrocious engineer designs, or run perfectly in perfectly well designed amplifiers.

Since Mosfets are used again, the tendency to less absolutely dry and precise amplifers section is prefered ; even if I doubt that it can be heard during a normal home use 1 to 5w use.

Mesured frequency range and overall distorsion of Accuphase integrated amplifier during bipolar transistor era :
569528d1440fc.jpg

Same brand, but setting during the actual mosfet era :

5695295ce3bca.jpg

As we can see, the distorsions are located far behind the noise floor. But one will be prone to add pair harmonics distorsions at higher volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts