More than one HifI with NAS - How to set it up?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Currently have NAS hardwired to router and SQB Touch picking up the data over wifi, when i move house I plan to have this set up (although this time hardwired Touch to NAS) in the main room but want a new system to also pick up music from the NAS. I was looking at the Marantz CR603 as a relatively small, simple solution for my second system, the questions I have are

1) With the NAS in another room how would i set up the CR603 to access the music, I realise no wifi and would ideally like hardwired anyway, so, could I plug another router into phone point in second room and plug 603 into that and access the NAS that way?

2) Will the 603 pick up data directly from a NAS anyway, do I need to set the NAS (Netgear Duo) up in a particular manner for the 603 to 'pick up' the data?

Thanks in advance

nads

Aslong as the NAS is connected to a network and the two players are also then there is no issue.

Not quite sure how you are thinking of connecting the duo to the SBT but you will need a router or a switch so just plug the other player in aswell.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Currently have the Duo and the Touch over wifi, but will hardwire the sqb into the router when in new room, as access will allow.

The second system will be in a new room, with access to a phone point, so a second router in the room with the 603 plugged in would allow me to access the music on my Duo which will be plugged into the network in another room altogether?

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
So sounds like will need to wifi in the second room then as connecting two routers which would be over 20m apart would not be possible, so the CR603 a no goer, maybe a second sqb and a new integrated amp then

A

Anonymous

I think there is a solution that you can carry your network signal to another room by a home plug through electrical socket. I was recommended this method from my Linn retailer in case that wiring lan cable would be difficult. I guess it would work in your case as well.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
There is no need for two routers at all. It makes no odds whether you connect the Touch by wifi or ethernet. All you need to do is also connect the Marantz to the same router, either by a direct ethernt connection or via homeplugs.

Although check thoroughly that the Marantz will do what you want. These devices typically use DLNA to access music on the NAS so you need to ensure that your NAS is running a DLNA server. Then be aware that the browsing/search experience may be somewhat less that you're used to with the Touch & that the Marantz may not play gaplessly.

If I were you, if you like the Touch, I'd look at buying a more basic system & add a second Touch to that. As well as giving you the same user interface you would also be able to sync music in the two rooms.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Top tips indeed both, thanks, never heard of the Homeplugs but will certainly investigate further.

With regards the Marantz I think that you may be right with just going for another sqb, I certainly like the look, size, interface etc, I guess kinda keen to try something else, the new amp will allow for that though, now what to get in that respect, hmmm?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts