more information needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi

i have a yamaha dsp-ax461 amp which i bought in cyprus it has 2 hdmi in 1 out but according to the manual when these are used sound is only produced at the tv not through the speakers when i contacted yamaha uk they said the 461 does not have hdmi connections, seems daft that an av amp does not produce sound to the speakers from the hdmi input (and my 461 has hdmi) anyone know where i can get more information. cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not unusual for entry-level AV amplifiers to have HDMI sockets which merely pass signal through, rather than the amplifier accessing the sound and video carried on the HDMI connection.

It's purely a convenience feature, allowing a single HDMI connection to the TV.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I have an Onkyo HT-R518 amp which is the same - it won't process audio or video received over HDMI, and can only pass it along straight through to the TV. As Andrew says, the HDMI inputs on your Yam are there merely for the convenience of video switching - the amp does not process the video or audio at all, it just passes it along.

To be able to actually use your amp with surround speakers, you need to hook up your source (DVD/BD player, Sky, games console etc.) to the amp with another, separate digital connection (either optical or coaxial, depending on the outputs/inputs you have available to you at both source and amp).

Hope this clears things up.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS