More bass required, what is my best option?

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Having run in my new Cyrus 6XP D I decide I'm in love with the sound but I no longer think my Zensor 1s are bassy enough for my liking with this amp (My pre-upgrade amp was a NAD that just happened to be bass heavy so handy for the Zensors. My question is what are my options in thye sub-300 bracket? I have ruled out q acoustics because I love the Zensor sound and am seriously considering getting Zensors but this time the 3s. Obviously its hard to explain my desired bass response, but as a rough percentage based on driver size, will the 3s give MUCH more bass or just barely noticeable or what?? My other option is the Mission MX3s because I could put these close to a rear wall, which is required in my set up. But to throw a spanner in the works, I have neighbours to consider, sat on the other side of said wall! I don't need ridiculous bass, just a fair bit more. Also I am aware that £300 on new Zensors might mean better quality that Mission floorstanders for £50 LESS. My absolute budget is 300 ish, perferably less. In my last post I waffled on a lot and asked perhaps the wrong question, but this time I realise it's a bass boost that I need and wonder if bigger zensor drivers are the right way to go or not. Please do not recommend Q Acoustics or Tannoy, they are decidedly not for me.

Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
randomfeaturezero said:
Having run in my new Cyrus 6XP D I decide I'm in love with the sound but I no longer think my Zensor 1s are bassy enough for my liking with this amp (My pre-upgrade amp was a NAD that just happened to be bass heavy so handy for the Zensors. My question is what are my options in thye sub-300 bracket? I have ruled out q acoustics because I love the Zensor sound and am seriously considering getting Zensors but this time the 3s. Obviously its hard to explain my desired bass response, but as a rough percentage based on driver size, will the 3s give MUCH more bass or just barely noticeable or what?? My other option is the Mission MX3s because I could put these close to a rear wall, which is required in my set up. But to throw a spanner in the works, I have neighbours to consider, sat on the other side of said wall! I don't need ridiculous bass, just a fair bit more. Also I am aware that £300 on new Zensors might mean better quality that Mission floorstanders for £50 LESS. My absolute budget is 300 ish, perferably less. In my last post I waffled on a lot and asked perhaps the wrong question, but this time I realise it's a bass boost that I need and wonder if bigger zensor drivers are the right way to go or not. Please do not recommend Q Acoustics or Tannoy, they are decidedly not for me.

Thanks

It seems straight forward for you just to demo the zensor 3 with your amp and hear for your self.

If that does not yeld good enough results you could try a sub also

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I completely forgot to say, auditioning is out of the question as I live on the Isle of Wight and the only hifi shop here prefers to sell people video cameras in stead and has virtually no speakers for demos! That's why I need some idea of the amount of bass the 3s would compare to the 1s. And please, any info about five star competitors live the Monitor Audio bronze 2, if anyone has experience with Zensors or Monitors or anything else reputably good and perhaps even with 5 star rating, please advise on depth and prominence of the bass. I do lean toward the Dalis as they have the largest mid bass cone but the bronze 2 are reviewed by many as bassy too. So yes, I can't really audition, unfortunately!

randomfeaturezero said:
I completely forgot to say, auditioning is out of the question as I live on the Isle of Wight and the only hifi shop here prefers to sell people video cameras in stead and has virtually no speakers for demos! That's why I need some idea of the amount of bass the 3s would compare to the 1s. And please, any info about five star competitors live the Monitor Audio bronze 2, if anyone has experience with Zensors or Monitors or anything else reputably good and perhaps even with 5 star rating, please advise on depth and prominence of the bass. I do lean toward the Dalis as they have the largest mid bass cone but the bronze 2 are reviewed by many as bassy too. So yes, I can't really audition, unfortunately!

In my opinion the MA's are anything but bassy and I wouldn't see them working too well for you. The Dali 3's would be better I feel.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of Zensor 3’s, with a NAD 326 amp. You’d think this pairing would produce room-shaking bass, but that’s not the case. The Zensor 3 isn’t as “bassy” as you might expect, in my experience – less so than my previous Mordaunt Short 902i’s, in fact. However, I think the bass the Zensors produce is tighter and more natural-sounding than the 902i’s, which tended towards boominess.

Not heard the Zensor 1, so can’t offer a comparison between that and Zensor 3, I’m afraid.

gasolin

Are your speaker placed in an corner?

Do you want deeper bass (louder under a certain frequency lets say 80hz) or louder bass in general (more noticeable the amount of bass your speaker can reproduce, to keep it simple, just louder bass) or deeper bass and generally louder bass more omph

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Has to place speakers near rear wall? Wants MUCH more bass.

how long until we see the thread where he is looking for solutions to flabby, woolly bass that is drowning out mid and hi frequency detail. ;)

depending on your room, etc. a sub might give you better bass control and capacity to adjust as necessary.

gasolin

ID. said:
Has to place speakers near rear wall? Wants MUCH more bass.

how long until we see the thread where he is looking for solutions to flabby, woolly bass that is drowning out mid and hi frequency detail. ;)

If his speaker cable are long enough and he has a table or something else to use as a stand it's free for OP to try it

If that is enough he can place his speakers in a corner or buy the zenors 3 since i imagine zenors 1's in a corner gives about the same extra bass as the zensor 3 has, except for one thing, it can't make the zensor 1 go deep just a bit louder befor the bass starts to roll off

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts