Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6 or B&W 685 ? , Pls Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does someone have experience with MS Mezzo 6 or B&W 685 pairing with Rotel RA-04 / CA 640C V2 or any other amp or CD player? I have been doing some research but came back with little information. My old B&W 601 S3 which I loved so much for the last 7 years broke into pieces when my son accidentally pushed over the speaker onto the floor :-(

I listened to 685 with the same system I have (CA 640C v2 and Rotel RA-04) at the shop demo but find something a little bit missing compared with my old 601 S3 (or I just fell in love too much with the original made in UK thing :)

I am willing to get MS Mezzo 6 since the reviews are great but find little info about users who own them. If someone can share or advice me the good or bad of Mezzo 6 ?

IMO (I would be more attracted to get Mezzo 6 even though I have not tried them - no demo at the shop - due to great reviews about it)

Please advice. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with the Mezzos; however, my tuppence worth: if I were spending that much on speakers (they're about £700, right?) I'd definitely want to audition them first. The reviews may well be great on the Mezzos, but then again the 685s also great reviews, and they weren't to your taste. Nor to mine, as it happens. I would suggest going out of your way to audition them, even if it means a day trip somewhere. Take the kids - it'll be fun! You might even lose them en route, thus precluding the possibility of further damage to your set up. Failing that, go and demo other models that ARE available in your area. I'm sure you'll find something that does it for you. Good luck.

matthewpiano

PLEASE take tractorboy's advice. It could potentially save you making a huge mistake.

If you have the budget for Mezzo 6, forget about the 685s. There is no contest. Look at auditioning speakers that are in direct competition to the Mezzo 6 but don't buy blind if spending this sort of money.

A

Anonymous

Thks guys, problem is no shop in my city owns Mezzo 6 on display, even one shop told me they had to return them to distributor since nothing sold over the last few months they were on display, are they really unknown to the hi-fi world but has great reviews ? Thks

T

the record spot

The Mezzo 6s are £800 - Richer Sounds will do them for £699 if you take in WHF, but check they have a dem room. Think they do a 30 day money back deal though. Personally, I haven't heard either, but I've shortlisted the Mezzo 6s. They sound like a special set of boxes and well worth auditioning.

A

Anonymous

I forgot to mention that I listened B&W 684 on a shop demo, did not like it due to dull sound I believe. Or perhaps I just stay with bookshelf like Mezzo 2 to compensate my loss ? (since 685 did not really connect me )

matthewpiano

Look for a nice pair of second hand 601 S3s. You clearly loved the sound and there are plenty around. They were excellent speakers (IMO better than the 685s) and you'll get the sound you like without spending huge amounts of cash. I get the impression you wouldn't have made a change if it hadn't been for your son's accident so why look for something else for the sake of it? Buying something different without auditioning is the path to misery. Imagine if you'd bought 685s or 684s without auditioning them first!!

A

Anonymous

Thks Matthewpiano,

The reason now I am considering in buying floorstander is for future investment, my budget is around the level of B&W 684 and Mezzo 6, since latter interested me I am keen to get them. I would take seriously into consideration anyone in the forum experience with the good and bad sides of Mezzo 6.

I know it's like shooting in the dark if I buy mezzo 6 without auditioning them first, trouble is no shop in my city (forgot to mention I live in Sydney, Australia) have them. So, I am taking my chances if I do get them without having listened to them first. (will most likely similar the case when I got CA640C V2 and Rotel RA-04 only because great reviews about them :)

But I do hope someone in the forum could enlighten me about Mezzo 6, Many thanks.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid I haven't heard the Mezzo 6's but I did have the 2's here with some denon and CA components. They are nicely made speakers and don't sound bad at all although I did prefer some Kef iQ7, which where part of the CA package. They kept rythm better and felt more transparent and coherent. They also sounded better with the cheaper but fleat footed Denon's than with the controlled, powerful 840's from Cambridge Audio.

Just one man's opinion and there are quite a few forum members which don't like the Kef's. Personally, I think they are fine value at today's discounted prices but I could'nt tell you how they compare with the mezzo 6.

Perhaps they are worth investigating as a cheaper alternative.

Hope this helps rather than confuse the situation.

regards

A

Anonymous

The Mezzo's are a bit dark. Nice high-end. They don't reach out and grab you but they also don't beat you about the face. I really like them, but it's a competitive field at that price range. Personally I'd splash a couple more coins and get the Neat Motive 2's or Epos M16i. Why 685 or Mezzo 6? Seems like an odd two to narrow down to.

A

Anonymous

I should also mention that I hear these things weekly at least, and unless there's a mezzo 6 owner on here I've not heard of I think I'm your expert (cue riotous laughter). What equipment are you going to be pairing them with??

A

Anonymous

Thks Raypalmer,

The reason I narrowed it down to 685 and Mezzo 6 because I was thinking to replace my broken 601 s3 with 685, listened to them but I still prefer 601 S3 over 685, then I stumbled upon mezzo 6 (due to Mezzo 2 review being beaten by 685 on WHF).

I have never had any floorstander before and I think having one of them would be a different and exciting experience for me. My systems are Rotel RA-04, CA 640C V2, Chord Silver Plus cable speakers, and QED Qunex 4S Interconnect.

Thank you

A

Anonymous

It's a lively system. I think that would actually be a good all-rounder fit. The Mezzo has authoritative bass, well-controlled but not the absolute tightest in the price bracket. The watered down aspirated tweeter that it's gained from the Performance Six is very nice, supple and won't ever give you brightness. The imaging is good but not great, but detail and soundstage are fantastic. Especially on upright bass and drums there's really tangible depth. If you've got to go blind I think it's a good bet and it would work with your system.

If you'd said you had Creek or Nad or something I would have been hesitant, but the Rotel is pretty boisterous.

PS. Both finishes are really gorgeous, much more so than pictures give credit. Personally I like the Walnut more, the Oak can look a bit Banana-y in some light.

A

Anonymous

Raypalmer, Thank you so much with your detail explanations, just
another curiosity though, since I am using Rotel RA-04 which by the
sheet only provides 40 watt power handling, do you reckon it won't struggle to
drive Mezzo 6 in along run ? ( I am aware minimum power handling mezzo 6 is only 15 watt)

When you said imaging is good but not great, do you also think I'll be okay with Jazz ?

Thank you for the insights.

A

Anonymous

I usually hear them driven by 160 watts pc. But I've heard the Mezzo 2 driven by 15 watts and it thumped, so I imagine the 6 should do fine with your 40.

Jazz sounds good out of them, they're crisp enough for horn work but not so much as to sound nasal.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know if Mezzo is also manufactured in China or Asia? (Not trying to underestimate their skills - but in some cases is important I believe to have the item manufactured in Europe - originally invented and produce - as the highest quality is maintained) - Japan is the exception :)

A

Anonymous

Raypalmer,

If you don't mind with this direct question, would you prefer B&W or Mordaunt Short for floorstander yourself ( I guess in this case comparison between 684 with Mezzo 6 or you might think a different type of league)

I am a big fan of B&W since 2001 (Have the 601 series S2 and S3 for my HT setup) but knowingly the difference between my old 600 series with the new one, hence I am a bit reluctant to choose B&W and found Mordaunt Short as my alternative)

I really welcome your opinion for B&W vs MS weaknesses or their strengths.

Some people might think I am just a traitor :)

A

Anonymous

Ehhhh... personally I love Bowers and Wilkins. But not their 6 series so much lately. For the money there are a lot better floor standers (imho). I just find the 685/684 very aggressive and overly neutral. They don't deliver the emotion and relaxation that makes me enjoy music. Unfortunately this is all subjective to the point of ludicrousness. The fact that you heard and disliked the 685 tells me you've got to go elsewhere for your speaker. And if buying blind is what it's gotta be then the Mezzo's one of the good bets. It's well-liked, good reviews, easy to drive etc. Mordaunt short is a great maker. Their Carnival line is fantastic vfm in the cheap-as-chips market, the avants are stalwart little performers and the performance six is one of my all-time favourites.

Don't try to be brand loyal... if B&W's new speaker doesn't make you happy then nose+rubber hose to them. By all means jump ship, it's just usually a good idea to look before you leap. But if the Mezzo isn't around and there's nothing you know you do like available then I suppose a leap of faith is what it's going to take.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey Ady,

I'm ÿa big fan of the Mezzo 6. I posted a review of them on the WHF? review page on this site in the 'Your opinion' section.

Hope this helps you out, fella.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Bretty,

Another positive input to my end, thank you. I am not going back to square one, but I was thinking if I get Mezzo 6 pairing with my Rotel RA-04 and CA 640C V2. Do you think it's a bit over the top ? I mean when you listened to Mezzo 6 you had Roksan Kandy paired with the speakers, and I reckoned they sound great. The amp and cd price is pretty much in the same level with speakers (which most people would have for their system I assume?)

I would not mind going for the extra mile, but wondering if just in a near time I need to upgrade my Rotel RA-04 and CA 640C V2 due to Mezzo 6 demand performance ?

Really appreciate for you or anyone input.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I think you'll be significantly impressed with the leap in performance that the Mezzo's will give you with your existing kit, I don't think you'd be needing to upgrade it. ÿ

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hey Bretty! Im going to get my Mezzo 6 tomorrow...running with a CA 340a but am looking to upgrade...can you suggest me a good amp? Also I noticed in your signature that you have changed them...if you dont mind me asking...why so?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts