Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6 or 8 ?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am considerring to upgrade my MISSION MX 5 for the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 6 or 8 .

The 6 received better reviews than is older brother the 8 , but since I am used to a big and powerful speakers

such the MISSION MX5 I am afraid that the 6 will not be a good upgrade for me ?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I have 8's in a 7-1 setup and am very pleased. I guess it depends on room size as much as anything tho' my room is small. I think there presentation is smooth and sweet but well able to kick some volume. i am sure others will advise as well as suggesting other speakers based on size, budget, type of music etc. I suggest adding more detail to yr question.

Cheers

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
HI there, well as you can see I'm the owner of a Mezzo6. I do feel at times they lack a bit of bass...but I'm in a large room and you might not feel it. I think the 6 sounds a bit better in the bass but lacks the thump of the 8s. The choice is yours, although any dealer who has a 6 probably has an 8 too...check which one you like more. All this being said. The Mezzos are great speakers but there is also an enormous range of choices in this price bracket. I've heard the DC6ts from Tannoy and they are great too and have that extra bit of bass you might be craving although I think the Mezzos have a smoother midbass. Do let us know how you get on.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

Thanks for your replys ; my room size is 3x4 m aprox . , I am hearing many kinds of music from classic & jazz to pop , rock & punk .

I feel that the MISSION MX5 are very good in pop and rock (endless bass...) but less in classic and jazz (not detailed enough) .

I am also conssidering the : B&W 683 , DALI IKON MK2 (7 or 6 ) and VIENNA ACOUSTICS MOZART ?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
shafesk said:
Now you're talking, have heard great things about the Mozart and should sound good with the Kandy!

Hi Shafesk ,

Will the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8 be a good match with the Kandy ?

Any other comments regarding the Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 8 ?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
shafesk said:
Now you're talking, have heard great things about the Mozart and should sound good with the Kandy!

Hi Shafesk ,

Well I have not heard the Kandy, but I was seriously considering one when buying the Cayin so I've read all the material that is available on the Kandy. From what I can gather the Kandy is a fairly neutral amp with lots of power. I think add to that the bass weight the 8 will bring and the neutrality of the MS speakers then it should atleast be a good match on paper. If you have a Richer Sounds nearby then why don't you take your amp with you to hear if you like it?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
shafesk said:
ISAC69 said:
shafesk said:

Hi Shafesk ,

Well I have not heard the Kandy, but I was seriously considering one when buying the Cayin so I've read all the material that is available on the Kandy. From what I can gather the Kandy is a fairly neutral amp with lots of power. I think add to that the bass weight the 8 will bring and the neutrality nof the MS speakers then it should atleast be a good match on paper. If you have a Richer Sounds nearby then why don't you take your amp with you to hear if you like it?

Hi Shafesk

The Kandy is neutral amp indeed very warm and detailed . lately I upgraded my CDP to ROTEL RCD-1520 that produce

completly neutral sound without any fake influences on music so if the recording is good it sounds great and vis versa

and I like it , Then I noticed that although the MISSION MX-5 has a great bass and skill they tend to be restrained and

the details is not so good . Are the Mordount-Short Mezzo series on the neutral side ? Are they detailed enough ?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Isac, yes the MS is very neutral and the sound changes a lot depending on the amp and source. They are also very detailed, but its very organised such that the detail doesn't distract you from the music.

Regards,

Shafin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts