Monopulse! What amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, After much deliberation I will be getting some 2nd hand Monopulse Model S in a few weeks. Any recommendations for amplification that work well with Monopulse greatly appreciated. Will be in a fairly large 30ft x 20ft room. I use Spotify and Apple TV as source, so I'll need a dac, amp or that rare beast, an amp with built in dac, 2nd hand is fine. Regards.

Lucky person... :) These are fabulous sounding speakers.

TBH, I've only heard the 32S with Naim equipement (Nait 5i amp and CDP). If I was brutally honest they are the one of the finest combos I've heard.

If Naim doesn't appeal, look at something in the region of Arcam, Creek and perhaps Leema. This is pure guesswork and I would suggest you have a demo once they arrive.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys,

I reckon a Naim would sound immense with it, I really can't wait to get testing!

There's very few people who've heard Monopulse so it's kinda going into the unknown with synergy. I shall defo keep you informed. In the meantime keep suugestions coming!

Cheers.

lordgrace said:
Thanks guys, I reckon a Naim would sound immense with it, I really can't wait to get testing! There's very few people who've heard Monopulse so it's kinda going into the unknown with synergy. I shall defo keep you informed. In the meantime keep suugestions coming! Cheers.

It's a pity really because of the design and pungent colours they only have limited appeal. If they produced a conventional cabinet/looks they would be a biggish seller.

That's the only reason why I didn't buy.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
My Monopulse 32A's are in storage as I couldn't bring myself to sell them. Great speakers. I used a Leema Acoustics Tucana with them. Really made them rock!

A

Anonymous

Ok, I have managed to get a Musical Fidelity x-150 amp for a ridiculously low price so I will see how it fairs with the Monopulses once they arrive in a few weeks. I will use the analogue out from the ATV to begin with and go from there, maybe getting a DAC after a while. If the x-150 doesnt have synergy with the speakers I will sell it on and try something else. Will keep you updated!

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I wanted to provide you with an update as well as ask for your advice.

Over the past few weeks I have been using Monopulse Model S loudspeakers being fed by a Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated amp. Source has been Apple TV (first gen) as well as blu-ray player and Sky box.

The result has been perfectly ok. Timing in particular is brilliant but the actual sound is nothing to write home about and I want something more exciting and involving. I really feel that the Monopulses have the potential to be something special with the right electronics.

Clearly, a limiting factor is the analogue out of the Apple TV so an external DAC is an obvious addition. But I also have my doubts about synergy between MF and Monopulse.

I have been a fan of Naim sound since I heard a Unitiqute feeding some Guru GM10s at the Bristol Show earlier this year. It really was quite something. I really like the idea of a minimalist approach and don't want loads of boxes on my rack! Moreover, of the few people who have heard Monopulse Naim has been mentioned as a suitable partner (such as by plastic penguin).

So, I am currently considering the following options and would be grateful for your advice:

1) Keep MF X-150 amp and get a DAC (I like the look of the Audiolab MDAC)

2) Sell MF X-150 amp and get a DAC and a Naim Nait 5i integrated amp.

3) Sell MF X-150 amp, get a MDAC (with a pre) and feed it direct into a power amp (perhaps a s/hand Naim power amp?)

4) Sell MF X-150 amp and get a Unitiqute which has DAC and amp.

The Monopulses are slim floorstanders with 87db sensitivity - will they be ok with the Unitiqute?

Would 3 sound better than 4?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Regards.

lordgrace said:
Hi all,

I wanted to provide you with an update as well as ask for your advice.

Over the past few weeks I have been using Monopulse Model S loudspeakers being fed by a Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated amp. Source has been Apple TV (first gen) as well as blu-ray player and Sky box.

The result has been perfectly ok. Timing in particular is brilliant but the actual sound is nothing to write home about and I want something more exciting and involving. I really feel that the Monopulses have the potential to be something special with the right electronics.

Clearly, a limiting factor is the analogue out of the Apple TV so an external DAC is an obvious addition. But I also have my doubts about synergy between MF and Monopulse.

I have been a fan of Naim sound since I heard a Unitiqute feeding some Guru GM10s at the Bristol Show earlier this year. It really was quite something. I really like the idea of a minimalist approach and don't want loads of boxes on my rack! Moreover, of the few people who have heard Monopulse Naim has been mentioned as a suitable partner (such as by plastic penguin).

So, I am currently considering the following options and would be grateful for your advice:

1) Keep MF X-150 amp and get a DAC (I like the look of the Audiolab MDAC)

2) Sell MF X-150 amp and get a DAC and a Naim Nait 5i integrated amp.

3) Sell MF X-150 amp, get a MDAC (with a pre) and feed it direct into a power amp (perhaps a s/hand Naim power amp?)

4) Sell MF X-150 amp and get a Unitiqute which has DAC and amp.

The Monopulses are slim floorstanders with 87db sensitivity - will they be ok with the Unitiqute?

Would 3 sound better than 4?

Any suggestions welcomed!

Regards.

Can't comment on the Uniti or Cute, only heard the separate Nait 5i and XS. But the Uniti has the amplification from the Nait 5i and the Qute (I think) is again based on the Naits. Naim claim the Nait 5i is 2x50 watts - if that's so then call me "Squirrel Nutkins". To my ears those 50 watts sound more like 80/90.

Depends how you like to listen to your music: the Cute should be fine (hope Andrew and JD and other Naimers can confirm my theory) as long as don't want to blast the walls down. Certainly synergy-wise, I've no probs with Naim/MonoPulse combo.

A

Anonymous

Room shaking volume isn't required, I listen at medium levels mostly, with the odd crank up when the neighbours are out! I like the fact that with Qute I can bung in a USB stick with 24 bit songs (I only have 2 at present!) and for the bulk of my listening at 16/44.1 and Spotify the ATV can go through optical, controlling everything via my iPhone. I have no requirement for streaming over UPNP. and I hear recently that AirPlay is coming to the Qute which would be brilliant. P.s. The girlfriend loves the look of the Monopulses which I really wasn't expecting - I might get some Model A and see what she says then!

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
the American amp I'm using at the moment has a DAC that outperforms my xonar st soundcard which must put it in the region of an arcam rdac. They have a few european models left on the website outlawaudio.com for about $700 and these amps really provide a better sound than what I've auditioned upto £1500

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts