Monitor speakers. Where does the smart money go?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
trevor79:Remember speakers need a min 200hrs to bed in and can sound very poor until they have done so.

So a typically busy person who gets an hour or so a day to listen during the week and a few hours (maybe) at a weekend, could be looking at a home dem lasting up to 20 weeks - just for one pair of speakers - before hearing the best of out them?

Juggling three pairs on an extended home demo/comparison could mean three times that duration (especially as most people don't have three systems to keep them all running in concurrently whilst they are out at work.)

Alternatively you could ask the dealer (or manufacturer in the case of the EB2s) to run in a pair for 200 hours before sending them for demo and still possibly have them rejected/returned!

I can foresee one or two problems... "Hello Mr EB Rick. Really sorry it took quite a few months to return these speakers for refund, but I had to give them - and two other sets of speakers - 200 hours each to run-in before I could make any judgement and I only had a few hours a week for each speaker comparison and only one system to run them all in on. Oh yes, I have read my consumer rights regarding distance sellers and expect a full refund of the postage too. Thanks. Yours etc.."

Very good point, I wasn't thinking about run-in, and I should, given how long and to what degree my Neats are running in.

Some dealers/manufacturers do offer a 30 day money back satisfaction period, but if you were trying 3 or more pairs over that time even then you'd really struggle.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Yes, I read it, have no need to re-read it and "I have a choice of the following" in and of itself means zilch unless you explain why. Until then, you're just another reader that's glanced - perchance - over a bunch of boxes that people like and gives zero insight into how you arrived at the selection you've made.

"Shortlist" is another word that's suddenly appeared and had you gone down that route earlier (i.e. mentioning the word itself) then that suggest you have researched and not just grabbed three speaker names out the air and posted on here. Subtle I know.

Good point.

Where on earth has the OP plucked his list of three from?

Taylor74:

the record spot:Yes, I read it, have no need to re-read it and "I have a choice of the following" in and of itself means zilch unless you explain why. Until then, you're just another reader that's glanced - perchance - over a bunch of boxes that people like and gives zero insight into how you arrived at the selection you've made. "Shortlist" is another word that's suddenly appeared and had you gone down that route earlier (i.e. mentioning the word itself) then that suggest you have researched and not just grabbed three speaker names out the air and posted on here. Subtle I know.

Good point.

Where on earth has the OP plucked his list of three from?

Far from 'plucked' I can assure you. Hours of research / spec / and more useful forums utilised to find some that suit current set-up at around £700.

The OP is off now to a more informative forum to start a new thread as not a single posting on this last page has anything to do with his original post. Waffle on!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alears:...and more useful forums utilised to find some that suit current set-up at around £700.

The OP is off now to a more informative forum to start a new thread as not a single posting on this last page has anything to do with his original post. Waffle on!

Nicely flounced sir!
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well firstly I have to say that when getting a home demo from a retailer you are trying the demo models - buying from an internet retailer to try them and return them you're getting new ones that need to be run in. You can see which would be better in this case.

And secondly, oh dear. This is what happens when an OP is heavily questioned about why they've picked the shortlist they have done, and when people bang on about options that really aren't of consideration. There are plenty of forums out there where people will happily shift to if they aren't getting the advice they think they need. Maybe (not having a go at anyone specifically - blanket statement) more calculated replies and respecting the replies of any OP in the future might help keep people on the forum.....

If the OP wants to come back, we'll all promise to be on our best behaviour, won't we? (kicks a few in the shins)
emotion-1.gif

chebby:Alears:...and more useful forums utilised to find some that suit current set-up at around £700.

Nicely flounced sir!
emotion-1.gif

Stunning entrances and dramatic exits being my forte Sir. I do apreciate everyones considered advice but I've been on enough forums to know when the thread (or is that plot?) has been lost.

Thanks also to David @ FrankHarvey for your attempt at re-direction.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Alears:
Would be grateful for future upgrade advice as to which and why.

I know speaker choice very subjective but the only ones from list below that I can audition at home are the EB2's.

So, I have the choice of the following. Which would you consider 'best buy' for a small (12 x 14ft room). Music tastes from rock to acoustic blues and even a little classical.

ProAc Studio 110's ex-dem @ £595

ATC SCM 11 ex-dem @ £749

EB Acoustics EB2 new @ £669

Looking at the OP's original thread one would have thought that it was a reasonable enough request. He had a choice of 3 speakers and he wanted opinions as to the merits of each. Instead, this thread has degenerated into a debate on active and passive speakers. Why do people insist on foisting their pet theories on someone who is not interested or doesn't care a hoot. All he wants his opinions on the 3 speakers he listed. Now surely this is not too difficult to understand!

A

Anonymous

We were just trying to help the OP get the best sound, I thought.

If he is interested in ATC it would be worth reading an ATC article on the subject:

EDITED BY MODS - except, of course, it's in breach of house rules

I'll quote instead:

EDITED BY MODS - please do not republish copyright material

I recall an article I read, where ATC stated something along the lines of no standalone amplifier, even if it was the best available, would match a similar active system.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
why buy them? see if the dealer will post their demo pair, with the understanding return postage will be refunded if you decide to buy. i've done exactly that in the past, and means the dealer isn't paying for your home dem.

T

the record spot

Craig M.:why buy them? see if the dealer will post their demo pair, with the understanding return postage will be refunded if you decide to buy. i've done exactly that in the past, and means the dealer isn't paying for your home dem.

If the dealer will do that, all well and good.

John Duncan

Afraid I can't comment on the OP's choices, since I haven't heard any of them. I'd be inclined to add the PMC DB1i (have to be ex dem given budget) and EB1 over the EB2 in that room though (if only because it's only 12x14 and presumably you'll want furniture in there as well...).

T

the record spot

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Alears:....and I quote.......... 'An unqualified reference to a 'monitor' speaker often refers to a 'near-field' (compact or close-field) design. This is a speaker small enough to sit on a stand or desk in proximity to the listener (called a 'bookshelf' speaker in hi-fi parlance), so that most of the sound that the listener hears is coming directly from the speaker, rather than reflecting off of walls and ceilings (and thus picking up coloration and reverberation from the room).'

I have a issues with this.

Firstly, monitor speakers, as it mention are 'near field'. Most normal hi-fi systems are far from near field. Most people sit across the room to their speakers, not 2 feet away from them.

Secondly, the nearer you sit to a conventional two way speaker, the more you're aware of the two separate drivers, producing their own specific frequency range. Anyone who has ever got close to a two way speaker will know that moving your head 1cm in any direction can have a huge impact on what is heard as far as balance is concerned. The best speakers for near field monitoring would be those that use a dual concentric driverlike the KEF UniQ designs.

Also, sitting on top of a desk will produce mid/high frequency reflection off the table.

HAving heard - and I make nil apologies for mentioning them again - several pairs of actives, the Genelecs are a two-way design which sound excellent for domestic use as well as pro-audio. They are neither as clicnically detailed as other studio monitors, but are as musical as the best home speakers. In addition, you can stand some way back from even a basic model like the 8030A which I heard. They throw out a big soundstage and you're far from restricted to sitting at a computer for them. They'd blow the KEF UniQs you mention out the water and this from someone who rates the KEF Q35.2 speakers highly even today.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
brittondave:did my post just get deleated?

Yes, sorry, brittondave - did a cull of the inter-retailer fighting derailing the thread, which you mentioned as being so offputting, and unfortunately your last post, as a reply to one of those comments, bit the dust.

Hopefully the thread is now back on-topic, and you'll consider it worth staying here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts