Monitor speakers. Where does the smart money go?

Would be grateful for future upgrade advice as to which and why.

I know speaker choice very subjective but the only ones from list below that I can audition at home are the EB2's.

So, I have the choice of the following. Which would you consider 'best buy' for a small (12 x 14ft room). Music tastes from rock to acoustic blues and even a little classical.

ProAc Studio 110's ex-dem @ £595

ATC SCM 11 ex-dem @ £749

EB Acoustics EB2 new @ £669

A

Anonymous

My friend is a recording engineer and says that smart money would go in to "active speakers".

I think he uses a Finnish brand called Genelec. They sound huge.

T

the record spot

Another shout for Genelecs. If you're thinking about going down that road, try the Genelec 8040A - £800 a pair, heard some a few weeks ago for a second time in the last few months and was blown away again. Simply terrific speakers, both for price and performance. They do indeed sound huge.

For similar money but sadly no personal demo to draw on, I'd look at the Acoustic Energy AE22 Actives as well. Roughly £800-£850 I think and well worth looking at not least for their rather impressive looks as well as the apparently superb sound.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't comment on the EB acoustics, but eith the ProAc or the ATC's will be a good step up from the 685's. Because you're into different types of music, I'd recommend the SCM11's.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

I can't comment on the EB acoustics, but eith the ProAc or the ATC's will be a good step up from the 685's. Because you're into different types of music, I'd recommend the SCM11's.

The Studio's quite happily play different genres ... honestly, I tried it
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There's just a couple of genres I've tried I'm not convinced by. They'll suit a lot of people, but I'm just being cautious in the interests of the OP
emotion-1.gif

At the end of the day, only an audition will confirm if the particular user is happy with their styles of music with a specific speaker, but we find the SCM11's play anything we throw at them.

Alears:

I know speaker choice very subjective but the only ones from list below that I can audition at home are the EB2's.

So, I have the choice of the following. Which would you consider 'best buy' for a small (12 x 14ft room). Music tastes from rock to acoustic blues and even a little classical.

ATC SCM 11 ex-dem @ £749

Hi Alears

I've not heard the EB2's however between the 110's and the SCM11's, the SCM11's are the ones i'll highly recommend. The SCM11's use the same superbly engineered CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) professional studio mid/bass drive unit which is also used in ATC's SCM16 profesional monitors.

The SCM11's closed box design and more importantly flat and honest presentation will also make room positioning far easier without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist.

Primare electronics and ATC monitors work really well and is a combination that now quite a few of my clients have been using over the years. The SCM11's uncoloured, neutral, natural and powerful presentation will reveal the qualities of your components by enabling them to breathe.

The ATC's massive performance potential will also accomodate future component changes.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Don't consider active speakers since you have more than decent amplification.

T

the record spot

Why "don't" this and "don't" that? Yes, the amps are good, but the OP is looking at alternatives, one of which are actives and rest assured, those Genelecs, Acoustic Energy's and so on and way more than capable of standing up for themeselves.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Why "don't" this and "don't" that? Yes, the amps are good, but the OP is looking at alternatives, one of which are actives and rest assured, those Genelecs, Acoustic Energy's and so on and way more than capable of standing up for themeselves.So he should throw away his amplification? I think you're not being realistic, RS.

T

the record spot

who said throw them away? Or better still, who said the actives couldn't do it as well as the separates? I suggest you're being a tad blinkered by return T.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:who said throw them away? Or better still, who said the actives couldn't do it as well as the separates? I suggest you're being a tad blinkered by return T.Now you're just being silly. Have the last say, I'm not going to be drawn in further.

Alears:

ATC SCM 11 ex-dem @ £749

I think our Mr. Duncan used to have that amp. From memory, the AVI Neutrons sound superb with Primare and from what I've read so do ProAcs.

A

Anonymous

I'm with Tarq on this one. Keep the stunning amps. Actives may or may not do the job as well but to me it's moot with the loss in cash for selling them. Depends on circumstances and what they were bought for, etc. The ATCs will give the best studio monitor presentation for the money. Of course, you may be glad to sell the Primares but I wouldn't!

T

the record spot

Tarquinh:Now you're just being silly. Have the last say, I'm not going to be drawn in further.

Or, alternatively, you're just being blinkered. People change kit for all reasons a lot of the time. Some want more bits nd pieces, others want to reduce. With two and half year old twins running round the place, I can see the appeal in reducing the box count at home with ones that sound as good and with less attraction for little fingers. That would be my rationale. Others will have different ones. That is neither silly, nor point-scoring, but real world and practical.

Sorry you can't see beyond the hifi spectacles perspective, but that's where hobby and real-world part like the Red Sea for me. I love the hobby as much as anyone, but I'm not blinded by the possibility of other options that don't involve source-amp-speakers-etc in the traditional configuration.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
If the OP can potentially spend £3K+ on this upgrade then it may be worth auditioning some active speakers in that price range. Active speakers undoubtedly have inherent advantages over a separate amp and passive speakers and I'm sure that an £800 pair of active speakers are extremely competitive compared to, say, a £400 integrated amp driving a £400 pair of passive speakers. However the OP has the best part of £3k's worth of pre/power amplification - does anyone seriously think that replacing that and a decent pair of price compatible speakers, with a pair of £800 active speakers (all due respect to the Genelecs and the recommendation - I'm sure they are great) is going to be an improvement?

Alears - I too would say keep the great amps, but possibly set your sights higher with the speakers, I certainly think your amps would warrant £2k speakers - better to save a bit longer if you have to, rather than spend c. £800 now and then in 6 months time develop that nagging feeling that they aren't getting the most out of the rest of your system.

Whatever you do, audition in your own home - the interaction between speakers and room is critical.

Good luck and enjoy the auditioning.

Guys,

Apologies for being away from my computer for so long. Did not expect such a response.

Many thanks to Rick and everyone for your input, and to The Record Spot I can only say I have struggled over many years to bring my system to its current state and have no intention of getting rid of the amps. I thought it clear from my original posting that I wished to get peoples ideas from the list of 3 speakers I put-up. I have researched quite thoroughly as I always do and did not want alternatives suggested, I thought that would appear clear. Obviously not.

Looks like I will have to save a few more pennies as the odds currently seem to be going the ATC's way, as I had a hunch it might! Thanks to all of you for your time and advice.

A

Anonymous

If you sold the amplification then the proceeds would probably be enough to buy the active monitors outright?

As good as this Primare combo may be it will never be able to compare to an active system where on designer optimises the amplifier to the loudspeaker.

Taylor74:

If you sold the amplification then the proceeds would probably be enough to buy the active monitors outright?

As good as this Primare combo may be it will never be able to compare to an active system where on designer optimises the amplifier to the loudspeaker.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. I would be extremely lucky if I made anywhere near £3500 by selling the amps.

I would have not intention of getting into active speakers I've never heard of, losing one upgrade path, and potentialy losing the whole hi fi system if a fault should develope in one of the active speakers. (This is exactly why I would never comtemplate buying a DVD / TV combo!)

A

Anonymous

Sorry if I misunderstood.

I thought you were specifically asking for a "monitor speaker".

A

Anonymous

My concern is that the amplifiers are tying you down.

You have "invested" £3k in amplification, so you want to base a system around that combo.

However, with the addition of a small passive two-way, like the ATC or ProAc, the total system cost will be almost £4k.

Think of the active monitors at that price point.

How do you honestly think the two will compare?

A

Anonymous

Taylor74:

You have "invested" £3k in amplification, so you want to base a system around that combo.

However, with the addition of a small passive two-way, like the ATC or ProAc, the total system cost will be almost £4k.

Why are you banging on about this?? The OP has made his position quite clear. He doesn't want active speakers, never did, so let it rest there.

Personally I'm with Dan and would save for better speakers. That's fine amplification and something like the Dynaudio contours would be an excellent match.

Taylor74:

I happen to quite like my amplifiers. Regardless of the amount 'invested' I would refer you to my last post as to why I would not comptemplate the active monsters that have been proposed. These, it would appear, also be quite unsuitable for the room size in question. Without wishing this thread being hi-jacked by the 'active' brigade I would like to return to a choice between my original three speakers listed.

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:
- does anyone seriously think that replacing that and a decent pair of price compatible speakers, with a pair of £800 active speakers

I think a mistake was made because the 8040a are around £1400.

It is the loudspeaker that makes the sound; the amplifier just has to be fit for purpose.

The 685 may well sound better driven by a clean and powerful amp, rather than a budget model, but once the speaker is being driven properly you have reached the end of the road. Diminishing returns kick in and one will still own a cheap passive two-way, regardless of whether the amplifier driving it has 200w or 2000w.

I think the poster has split the budget completely wrong by purchasing such expensive amplifiers. The amplifier and loudspeaker budget should have been pooled in the beginning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts