Monitor speakers vs Hi-Fi speakers for home set up

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Looking to move house in the hopefully not to distant future, when we do I'll be using the extra space for a music room. I'm looking for new speakers and amp.

The amp is an easier choice, but speakers I'm not sure, I play a lot of electronic music and I'm wondering what speakers to buy. Should I go for monitor or hi fi speakers, my friends have been saying get some Funktion One F101's but I just get the feeling they will be overpriced, pretty much like Bose.

My budget will probably be £1000, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
A grand for speakers.....

All you need to decide is what type of speaker your want - floorstander or stand mount (your budget to be split bewteen speaker and stand). depending on roomsize a small floor stander is the best compromise. Something with the rigidity of a standmount with enough internal volume to deliver decent bass.

The choices are many - go listen to a few prefebly with your amp.

You may get overwhelmed with the 'advise these pages can offer..... :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
A grand for speakers.....

All you need to decide is what type of speaker your want - floorstander or stand mount (your budget to be split bewteen speaker and stand). depending on roomsize a small floor stander is the best compromise. Something with the rigidity of a standmount with enough internal volume to deliver decent bass.

The choices are many - go listen to a few prefebly with your amp.

You may get overwhelmed with the 'advise these pages can offer..... :)

Speakers and amp Thompson, pay attention.

There will be plenty of recommendations for conventional speaker and amp combinations, so I am not going to go there.

For electronic and a lot of other 'modern' music I think studio active designs offer a lot. The ability to deliver tight, punchy bass is unmatched in passive systems of comparable price and I feel this can be pivotal.

A quite modest cost the Presonus Eris 8 offers a seriously powerful delivery for a very modest cost, less than £400 in fact. There are other options at higher cost, Adam A7x for example is an obvious one, plenty of others though.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
try Genelec 8040a / KRK VXT 6 active monitors, and then listen to any hi-fi speaker/amp combination. the brand does not matter. you will get the difference right away. especially if you listen to electronic music the direct and powerful feed of the active monitors is what you need. personally i cannot listen to this stuff on a nice and sweet hi-fi kit.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Consider AVI ADM 9RS, they are £1250 but you won't need to pay out for a DAC or amplifier because it's all built in. They look just like conventional stand-mounts but because they are active they will give you superb performance and no wondering if the different components match; the maufacturer has already done that for you.

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for this everyone, would i be able to connect the AVI's through a mixer that has Techincs Sl 1210s and possibly Pionner CDJ's??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts