Monitor Audio Silver 8G?

Sir Ken Smith OBE

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking at getting some Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G speakers. The prices have been reduced in my neck of the woods for the 7Gs. Does that mean the 8G's are imminent? Is there an expected date for them?

Sir Ken Smith OBE

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
After a bit more digging, I found that the Silver 6Gs were in production between 2017 and 2021 so maybe it's a 4 year lifespan for the 7Gs as well? Perhaps we'll get the 8Gs late next year or 2026?

Gold 300 6Gs are way out of my budget and overkill for my amp and CD/DAC

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

twinkletoes

After a bit more digging, I found that the Silver 6Gs were in production between 2017 and 2021 so maybe it's a 4 year lifespan for the 7Gs as well? Perhaps we'll get the 8Gs late next year or 2026?

Gold 300 6Gs are way out of my budget and overkill for my amp and CD/DAC

Thanks anyway!
Ah another "waiter" LOL . By all means if it's a push monetary wise leave them and save! But to wait on a what if /latest and greatest is a pointless practice. There will be hardly any difference between the outgoing and the new model.

My speakers for instance had nearly 20 years between the models and there is still hardly any audible difference between the 3 and 4 a side a touch more bass. One isn't better they're just different.

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
Ah another "waiter" LOL . By all means if it's a push monetary wise leave them and save! But to wait on a what if /latest and greatest is a pointless practice. There will be hardly any difference between the outgoing and the new model.

My speakers for instance had nearly 20 years between the models and there is still hardly any audible difference between the 3 and 4 a side a touch more bass. One isn't better they're just different.
The difference between models may well only be seen in your bank balance...... :)

gasolin

Who is talking about a wiim amp ?

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G £2499

Monitor Audio Gold 50 6G £1699

Monitor Audio Studio 89 £1799

Reactions: Al ears

manicm

The new Gold 6G Series is a demanding speaker - even the 50 6G.

Reactions: Al ears

I did wonder where WiiM amps came into it.....

My understanding is the way companies like MA make speakers is along these lines. They design and commission a series, say, the Silver 6G. They specify, typically, two sizes of stand mount, two or three floorstanders, and probably a centre channel for AV. Then some stands for the smallest two designs.

They get a Chinese company to price for a production run. That might be 5,000 of the cheapest, and reducing numbers for the costlier ones. Say 15,000 to 20,000 pairs in total. The chosen company makes the whole lot, ships them in a few pallets. Then a few years later, when they’re running low, the cycle starts again. The leftovers are sold via Richers or Tysons at 40% off, and the new range is launched.

Newer models conform to the fashion of the day, maybe black not chrome trim, or different colours, like grey paint rather than rosewood veneer, whatever the trend is. Meanwhile, drivers change colour or use different metals, for example aluminium or titanium for tweeters.

Just the economics of a large range. Meanwhile, companies like Harbeth or ATC make them as they go, never holding more than a handful of pairs in stock.

By all means set me straight if I’ve got this wrong.

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts