Monitor Audio Silver 5-1 speakers waste of money ?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Considering the MA Silver package but I wonder if my room layout would negate any benefits over my current AE setup. I would be willing to spend the £2.5K but only if it offers a real upgrade and is not a waste of money.

From my photos you can see that I have a long lounge, with the setup at one end. One side is open, the other with windows/curtains. The TV and fronts are recessed by about 60cm giving the fronts room to breathe but they are both backed into corners somewhat. I can't really move the system.

Furthermore - would the MA rears work on stands just to the back of the setee - not sure how they would 'point'. The sub is to the side of the setee and i could possibly move this to the left of the TV.

I do hope I can get some positive advice which will either encorage me to splash the cash or else settle back to enjoy what i have.

My speakers are in mint condition so i am reluctant to upgrade if my room layout and acoustics are limiting the advantages of such an upgrade. (Although my room would look better with a nice oak veneer!)

I hope a few can spend a little time and effort to advise - very much appreciated.

Cheers

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
And (I guess) - is there experience of overcoming the 'sofa against the wall' syndrome? Any experience with using bi-pole or di-pole rears in this situation?

thanks in anticipation.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Judging by your stated budget, I'll assume you're talking about the RX6AV package.

I think it would be overkill, but then, the speakers you already have, for the apparent size of the room, could be considered overkill anyway. Whether or not you use the full capabilities of a particular speaker package, you'll still get some benefit from the replacement speaker's better quality reproduction - whatever that speaker package ends up being.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David. I understand the 'over kill' and wonder if there is a better alternative to improving the sq particularly for cinema. I really don't like front stands but you are suggesting the MAs are just too big a system.

Any comments most appreciated.

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They don't necessarily have to be "too big". Unless a speaker was stupidly too big for a room, it can be set up to work well in a room that's a little too small. I'm not sure how you have things set up at the moment, but I'd look to not be setting the crossover points too low. Set them at around 70Hz, maybe 60Hz (worth experimenting). All speakers can be set to' small' so they're not reaching too deep - this does mean the sub will do a little more work, but it does ease the load on the speakers, so they can sound clearer. There's a lot you can do, and if you're prepared to spend an evening (or a day) messing with your current system, you can try some options to give you an idea of how different approaches will change things.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your advice again. I guess that in my preent small room a speaker upgrade may not be the way forward. I guess WhatHiFi could be more helpful in their advise with respect to the suitablity of kit for larger or smaller rooms? I shall then continue for the time being, to tweak my settings and move the speakers around a bit. Must be careful with my bak tho !

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts