Monitor Audio Silver 100

camcroft

Hi. Has anyone used the 100s I have the RX1s from Monitor and was curios what the newer model would sound like saying that it is larger and has a different larger woofer. Any thoughts. Thanks

D

Deleted member 188516

Hi. Has anyone used the 100s I have the RX1s from Monitor and was curios what the newer model would sound like saying that it is larger and has a different larger woofer. Any thoughts. Thanks

depends on the source component(s), amplifier used, room there in...

camcroft

Thanks for replying narrow but longish room 6 x 3.5mts system at present is as follows , Cambridge Audio CXA 60 Amp - Marantz CD6006 UK - Project Debut Carbon Turntable , Schiit Mani phono stage, Van Damme UP-LCOFC RCA cables, Monitor Audio RX1 , Van Damme UP-LCOFC Speaker cable , Atacama Nexus 7 speaker stands. Thanks I know the width is not good but thats what I am stuck with the speakers are not very far apart like they should be again thats what I have and they are very close to the back wall I am using bungs at the moment to combat too heavier bass.

Thanks for replying narrow but longish room 6 x 3.5mts system at present is as follows , Cambridge Audio CXA 60 Amp - Marantz CD6006 UK - Project Debut Carbon Turntable , Schiit Mani phono stage, Van Damme UP-LCOFC RCA cables, Monitor Audio RX1 , Van Damme UP-LCOFC Speaker cable , Atacama Nexus 7 speaker stands. Thanks I know the width is not good but thats what I am stuck with the speakers are not very far apart like they should be again thats what I have and they are very close to the back wall I am using bungs at the moment to combat too heavier bass.

Sorry camcroft, I'm scratching my head trying to fathom why you want bigger speakers when you're already using bungs to reduce the bass on the smaller RX1s?. Bungs not only reduce bass but dull down the other frequencies

The new Silver 100s are also rear ported. Bigger bass, bigger bass issues.

If they have to be so close to the wall I would suggest Neat Iotas or a infinite baffle model.

Our room is similar in size but I've had my old RS6s firing across the narrow part for years -- about 2 feet from the back wall.

camcroft

Saying that the 100s are bigger / deeper really slight difference in the height I would try to bring them as far away from the walls as possible but not in anyones way as there is a door about 2 feet away to the right so I can't move them outwards and then I would try them with and without the bungs. I do like the MA sound so if I can get bit more decent sound from them all will be good then and I do love the fact that they are gloss black.. I have bought some and was curious to see what other peoples opinions would be . I haven't received them yet they are second hand I wanted to look at floor standers but the boss gave me the thumbs down so I have to do what I am told as you do. Thanks for your replies.

manicm

I had the RX1s too, excellent speakers. My thinking is that, due to your room constraints, the Silver 100s would be a sideways move, and not suitable.

I actually would try and audition a high-end Dali compact, or the B&W 607 - even though it may be a mismatch on paper.

camcroft

Well they have arrived today well what can I say they sound excellent placed more or less in the same position bungs in no boomy sound similar sound to the RX1s but more full bodied and as I have bought them second hand dare I say they have been run in / burned in already.

Reactions: manicm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts