Monitor Audio RX6 and Arcam A18 CD17

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I've just demoed MA RX6 with Arcam A18 and CD17 after demoing first with Marantz 6003 amp and CD and was really impressed with the additional clarity of the Arcam amp and extra layers the CD17 gleaned off particularly vocal tracks. The soundstage was bright and had a lot of depth, so close to going with that set up, but first proper hifi purchase and will be putting Panasonic plasma through it too so hoping that will also sound very distinctive

Some rockier tracks the balance definitely swayed to the top/bottom end and I felt perhaps mid lacking a bit.

Anyone out there already got or thinking about similar set up, would like to suggest alternatives?

Oh and also the room where the equipment will be situated has double high ceilings I'm guessing that will have an effect on acoustics - will the floorstanders do a better job as a consequence?

thanks for any input!

Aldrums

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
My initial impression of the title was one of a laid back, smooth sounding system. The A18 is definitely much more refined an amplifier than th e Marantz, so is probably a no brainer as far as purchasing is concerned. If you can strech to an A28, I think that would perk the system up a little and possibly have the desired effect you're looking for. If not, then something has to go. If you want to keep to a one manufacturer system, it's either the MA's or the Arcams. My vote would either be a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i combination to bring the presentation forward a little, or......well, it gets trickier with speakers as there's not much around to compete with the RX6's at their price point, but I suppose you could try the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 or 8, or Acoustic Energy Aelite 3's. So seeing as how good the RX6's are, and given how close the Arcam combo came to seeming to be ideal for you, I'd try the Naim alternative out.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forums
emotion-1.gif

I demo'd the Arcam A18 and the CD17 with the RX6's and didnt like the soundstage at all... Very muted and dull IMO.

I currently have the system below with the M/A RX6 speakers and it's superb so dont rule it out without a demo. See if you can demo the Rega Apollo alongside the amp and speakers as well. Superb comboination.

Other amps to consider would have to be:

Leema Pulse
Creek EvoII
Rotel RA1520
Yamaha AS2000
Rotel RA06SE
Poss: NAD C165 pre amp and the C275 power amp

CDP players to demo:

Rega Apollo
Arcam CD17 (with a different amp other than the Arcam A18)
NAD C545BEE
Marantz 6003
Cyrus 6SE CDP

If youre happy with 2nd hand the likes of an Arcam DiVA A85 or the FMJ A32 integrated amps would be superb and easily matched with the likes of the Rega Apollo CDP or an Arcam DiVA CD192 CDP

It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to and what your overall budget is?

A

Anonymous

Brilliant thanks Dan and Harvey Hifi both really useful advice.

I think my budget is up to about £2k for set and funnily enough as I walked away from the shop post-demo I found myself wanting a bit more from the amp/cd combo - not too fussed about having matching units - the speakers I loved and I read (on this site) that the Rega Apollo CD is really something.

Music collection ranges from classical piano/orchestral, through to folk, rock, electro/dance (funnily enough it's the acoustic/real instrument music that really shines on the demoed stuff - some electro music really sounded flat/narrow).

I suppose the majority of our listening will be band/orchestral music so looking for clarity but nothing clinical/dry?!

I understand cabling can make quite a difference and the shops can do offers on that sort of thing, in your experience how much £ from budget should I allow to get the best out of the equipment?

Thanks again for input!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Harvey!! That's a new one
emotion-2.gif

It's David
emotion-1.gif

I would definitely give the Naim combo a try, or substitute one of the Arcam boxes for a Naim one. I think that'll give you what you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

Hahahahhahaha oops! my bad

Cheers for the advice David will do for sure

merci

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
See I wasnt overly enamored by the Naim gear with the M/A RX6 speakers as I dont feel that the Naim amp or CDP has the bass depth and punch that the RX6's like

I listen to a lot of electronica music but I also listen to a fair bet of metal as well as classical and a good mix of vocals across the board and the Naim gear was flat to me

I do agree that the Arcam A28 would be good choice but then again a 2nd hand Arcam A85 or A32 would be better still.

The Rega Apollo is a brilliant CDP and I think would be one of the best under £1k that'll gel with a varying range of amps

Are you open to 2nd hand gear at all or do you want all new Aldrums?

A

Anonymous

Hiya Dan - 2nd hand/ex demo would be fine I reckon. Presummably ex demo kit would be the safest option?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It would be a safe option yes but not necessarily the best one...

A lot of decrnt gear can be had 2nd hand via eBay or other hifi related forums so it's all a case of figuring out what it is you need and like and then seeing where you can go from there

The only draw back is that a majority of the time you cant demo unless the seller lives locally and youre able to demo on their gear etc...

A

Anonymous

Any opinions on this combo:

Monitor Audio Rx6 with Arcam A28 + Arcam rDac?

A

Anonymous

Get the Nad 326 instead of the Arcam A18 and save a $1000 instead.

matthewpiano

MoData:Get the Nad 326 instead of the Arcam A18 and save a $1000 instead.

Erm... On what basis? I used to have a NAD C326BEE. It is a very good budget amp but it is absolutely no competition for the Arcam.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:MoData:Get the Nad 326 instead of the Arcam A18 and save a $1000 instead.

Erm... On what basis? I used to have a NAD C326BEE. It is a very good budget amp but it is absolutely no competition for the Arcam.

Well, I was sort of kidding, but sort of serious.

I've actually got the Arcam 28 at home now. The dealer said I could keep it for a week or two and bring it back if I don't like it.

The Arcam 28 retails for around $1700, the Nad 326 for around $500.

You would imagine that at three times the price, the Arcam would clearly sound a lot better. Unfortunately, I can only say that it is just marginally better.

here's the interesting thing. I wrote an email to the Monitor Audio folks asking them for a recommendation for an amp to go with the Rx6.

Here's the reply I got:

"I have not listened to the amplifiers that
you have mentioned below with the exception of the Arcam FMJ. The Arcam is a
fairly reserved integrated. It offers good detail and control but in my opinion
lacks the dynamic clout for overall impact. The Naim is one of my favourite
sounding amps, very silky and human with a beautiful air to them but again lack
a little in power. With the RX6, I like to provide as much power and current in
order to maximize the speed and punch that the speakers offer. My favorite
integrated with the RX6 at the moment is the Sim Audio 3.3 or the 600i though I
fear the latter is a good deal more money."

Not very helpful, since the Sim Audio 3.3 retail for around $3500, and I want to stay under $2000. I'll send him another email with that extra parameter. If he's talking about as much power and current, I'm thinking the Nad's might actually be a better match. If nothing else, they'll provide cheap current. :)

A

Anonymous

At this point, I'm liking the Arcam rDac + Arcam A28 combo better than the Arcam rDac + Nad 326. I can't really place a finger on what's wrong with the Nad326. Just sounds too shrill in my living room. The Arcam's mellower tone works better with my room's acoustics, I guess.

I'll try to grab a nait for a demo this week and write about it.

This is all I'll have time for, so it'll either be the Arcam 28 or the Nait5i. Just don't have time for this anymore.

The Rega Dac won't hit the market anytime soon, will it (specially in the us)?

A

Anonymous

I ended up getting the Nait XS and loved it.

I'm thinking of doing the Nait XS with the new Rega Dac and the Monitor Audio Rx6 speakers.

They are just a tad too bright. Any cables you recommend to temper that down a little?

On a different note, I'm then left with the Arcam rDac and the Nad326bee. Can you suggest speakers to go with this combo? I can also bring the Nad326 back. In which case, I'll need an Amp+Speaker reco to go with the Arcam rDac.

MoData:
I ended up getting the Nait XS and loved it.

I'm thinking of doing the Nait XS with the new Rega Dac and the Monitor Audio Rx6 speakers.

They are just a tad too bright. Any cables you recommend to temper that down a little?

On a different note, I'm then left with the Arcam rDac and the Nad326bee. Can you suggest speakers to go with this combo? I can also bring the Nad326 back. In which case, I'll need an Amp+Speaker reco to go with the Arcam rDac.

Hi MoData

Nice one. Naim's Nait XS is a superb amplifiier and Rega's DAC should be the icing on the cake. Some generic speaker cables with a few hundred strands of OFC will be ideal.

I'll recommend you hold on to the C326BEE with the rDac and consider Monitor Audio's BX2 or BX5's speakers. Standard 79 strand of OFC speaker cables will be ideal for these components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:Some generic speaker cables with a few hundred strands of OFC will be ideal.

It is difficult to find cable that is just called 'generic'.

You aren't shy about naming 'generic' mains extensions (Wilco) so can you suggest a brand or source of this mythical stuff? (Apart from yourself of course.)

Maplin maybe?

Or are we talking about cable that can only be bought by the drum?

I wouldn't mind trying some. (I could punt my NACA5 cables on ebay and make a little profit if the 'generic' cable sounds the same, or better.)

TRENDING THREADS