Monitor Audio RS6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Recently I audition the RS6 and was impress with the sound . I then ask the salesman to demo the RS8 but he said the RS6 is better than the RS8. I did not have a chance to compare the two as the RS8 is not available in the shop . I got another query,

1. Is the RS6 better than the old Silver 5i ?

2. How is the RS8 when compared with the Silver 8i ?

I am currently having the Silver 8i and thinking of changing.

Thanks

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've compared the RS6 to the RS8 and I personally prefer the RS6. The RS8 has so much low fequency output that midrange detail is compromised. This is just my opinion. If you love bass and play a lot of dance music then the RS8 would be awesome. If you are looking for a revealing speaker with nice detail and fast bass then the RS6 is a better choice and cheaper to boot.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it's all about room size, the RS8 is better in much larger rooms, whilst the RS6 is better for medium sized rooms. Neither are perfect for small rooms.

But to answer your other Q, the RS6 is quite a bit better than the 5i's...

A

Anonymous

I auditioned both and got the rs8 although sometimes I wonder if the RS6 would have suited my needs. I used the rule 'the bigger the better' which is not the proper rule to apply when choosing speakers. Anyway I'm very happy with them.

The main factor is going to be your room size. I found the RS8 very nice sounding when played at normal volume. They turn bassy when driven hard, but that's because of the room.

If your room is between 15-25 m2 I think RS6 will be more than enough (your neighbours will also be happier). If more than 30 m2 you could give a chance to the RS8.

A

Anonymous

What music did you demo RS6 with to conclude they were good?

I listened to them on the end of an Arcam FMJ combo recently and have never heard Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor reproduced so poorly.

The bass was a booming ill-defined drone, and the strings sounded like a Casio keyboard. It was awful.

If a loudspeaker cannot reproduce accurately the sound of real instruments in does not have much hope with anything else except the crashing noise of home cinema, maybe.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Each to his own Eddie. As always OP - listen to them with your own ears before parting with your hard-earned.

FWIW, when demo-ing them, I listened to Rodrigo y Gabriella, Rimsky-Korsakov, Dire Straits, Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana unplugged, Vivaldi. So a pretty varied mix, and I still get a huge smile on my face whenever I listen to them.

I think they are what one would describe as a "marmite" speaker...

A

Anonymous

Hmm... I had auditioned RS6s with Marantz amp/CDP combo recently and now have bought my own. The ones you listened to must have been faulty or blown out or something - mine are nothing but extremely accurate, detailed and timely. Bass is strong but not boomy - and they haven't been run-in yet! I use them with a Marantz amp - maybe its a better synergy. Even lossy mp3 files sound good (kudos to Dacmagic).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chainrock:Hmm... I had auditioned RS6s with Marantz amp/CDP combo recently and now have bought my own. The ones you listened to must have been faulty or blown out or something - mine are nothing but extremely accurate, detailed and timely. Bass is strong but not boomy - and they haven't been run-in yet! I use them with a Marantz amp - maybe its a better synergy. Even lossy mp3 files sound good (kudos to Dacmagic).

I agree. Eddie's audition doesn't sound right to me - Arcam matches perfectly with the RS6s too. Overblown bass?? No chance, very tight quick bass, yes. And as most will say, they give a very accurate sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:

... they are what one would describe as a "marmite" speaker...

Yep, cloying and soft though the following is just my opinion and I appreciate many would disagree.

I think eddy pound has a point. They are quite incapable of reproducing most genres accurately though as home cinema speakers they my be fine. Veiled with a capped and edgy treble and mushy bass, look nice though. I've used them many times with lots of different brands (trawl my postings if you must) and the only thing I slightly disagree with eddypound is that arcam seems to match slightly better than others probably due to the inherent clarity of many of the companies products though I dont find them to hot either but thats another subject. For example Roksan's K2 system did not fit in well but in all honesty they need better speakers.

Buy some Dali xx (forgot the model number) at £250 and add a good, fast, small sub. Much better probably.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Yep, cloying and soft

A tad unnecessary DM.

I was trying to put the point across that these speakers, above it seems all others, divide opinion.

By all means suggest alternatives for the OP to audition (as you have done with the Dali's) but if someone (who has auditioned them against others) prefers them, why rubbish their opinion?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
fatboyslimfast:

Yep, cloying and soft though the following is just my opinion and I appreciate many would disagree.

I think eddy pound has a point. They are quite incapable of reproducing most genres accurately though as home cinema speakers they my be fine. Veiled with a capped and edgy treble and mushy bass, look nice though. I've used them many times with lots of different brands (trawl my postings if you must) and the only thing I slightly disagree with eddypound is that arcam seems to match slightly better than others probably due to the inherent clarity of many of the companies products though I dont find them to hot either but thats another subject. For example Roksan's K2 system did not fit in well but in all honesty they need better speakers.

Buy some Dali xx (forgot the model number) at £250 and add a good, fast, small sub. Much better probably.

I normally agree with the Drummerman but not here. However, it would be very boring if we all agreed all the time.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:drummerman:

I normally agree with the Drummerman but not here. However, it would be very boring if we all agreed all the time.

Indeed. You get a lot of drive units and nice looking wood but don't forget they are built to a smallish budget and I somehow think they have got their priorities wrong. Like I said, they look great in a show room and impress immediately due to their Home Theatre sound so perhaps they have their priorities right
emotion-11.gif
. The platinums are so much nicer ...

I think even Mezzo 2's sound better and that's not exactly a compliment either.

drummerman:

fatboyslimfast:

I don't subscribe to those comments, although I do, in the main, appreciate drummerman's experience. The truth is: yes, the RS6's are better than their big siblings in terms of a more controlled bass and faster sonic character. However, the RS6's achilies heel is if you partner them with a bright system on hard flooring they become edgy and lose their sonic balance. If you have carpeted floors this seems, to my ears, to eliminate any nasties.

I can't comment on the 5I's.

A

Anonymous

I'm with Drummerman on this one. I thought the RS8s were very compromised as the bass extension was at the cost of the midrange and speed. To make them work you'd need plenty of space and a lean, tight sounding amp.

I used to have the standmount Silver 4i model and replaced them with the RS1. The latter were considerably better at everything and I got significantly more enjoyment from them. They're still not a well balanced speaker though.

The Dali Lektor standmount and sub suggestion is a very good one. Seriously.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As with everything hifi, only your own ears can tell you if its right. If he likes them then that's all that matters but I perhaps would try a few more alternatives and most important, a home trial if available, especially where speakers are concerned.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:
Gerrardasnails:drummerman:

Indeed. You get a lot of drive units and nice looking wood but don't forget they are built to a smallish budget and I somehow think they have got their priorities wrong. Like I said, they look great in a show room and impress immediately due to their Home Theatre sound so perhaps they have their priorities right
emotion-11.gif
. The platinums are so much nicer ...

I think even Mezzo 2's sound better and that's not exactly a compliment either.

....and so much bigger and dearer!!

Maybe me and my friends and family don't know what to listen for but I've not had anyone say anything bad about the sound from my living room when I play music. I would love to give the Platinum range a go but they are much more expensive. I've not heard anything around for £6-700 mark that are better than the RS6. For the record, I have a carpeted floor and my speakers stand on granite plinths.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:What music do RS6 owners listen to ?

Last night I tried New Order, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Metallica, Way out West, Sasha, Aerosmith, Coldplay, some hip-hop, and many more - no evidence of what you described. I have tiled floors with a medium-sized rug in the middle.

A

Anonymous

chainrock:Autechre

I think that's the first mention Rob and Sean have had on here. Woo.ÿ

drummerman:As with everything hifi, only your own ears can tell you if its right. If he likes them then that's all that matters but I perhaps would try a few more alternatives and most important, a home trial if available, especially where speakers are concerned.

agree totally - don't decide until you have heard others around the same price point. There may be others that hit his button far more than RS6. Different strokes. . . . .

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

I think that's the first mention Rob and Sean have had on here. Woo.

Love their debut album! Now looking for some of their newer stuff.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
So, which is better Mezzo 6, RS6, or Mezzo 2 ?

I see the normal RS6 haters, no matter what, they hate it. And those who like them. Now, they are saying RS6 is good for only movie sound, where did they learn it from ?

TRENDING THREADS