Monitor audio rs6 - tweeters not working.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Not a happy man at present. Bought some RS6s off ebay only to find the tweeters on both are not working no sound at all. Anyone know if indeed these are faulty and how much to replace? Truly gutted at the moment. Selling has been informed but what a hassle.

John Duncan

<grandmother-eggs>

Are the jumpers between the low and high frequency binding posts in place?

images

</grandmother-eggs>

A

Anonymous

I recently replaced a tweeter on my br5's cost me £34 direct from monitor audio

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes unfortunately the jumpers are in place. I hear sound (vocals and bass) from the two woofers (more vocals from middle woofer) but nothing from tweeters and it sounds muddy.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
Yes unfortunately the jumpers are in place. I hear sound (vocals and bass) from the two woofers (more vocals from middle woofer) but nothing from tweeters and it sounds muddy.
Well actually I used speaker wire for the jumpers but I tried this exact same connection with my BR5s and they worked!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Bummer.

Have you tried connecting directly to the HF terminals with no jumpers in place? Just to be sure it's not a connection problem. Although unlikely with both.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Crocodile said:
Bummer.

Have you tried connecting directly to the HF terminals with no jumpers in place? Just to be sure it's not a connection problem. Although unlikely with both.

Yes I did try just the HF terminals and still no tweeter sound from either speaker. Will it de more likely a blown tweeter or something else? I guess I'll have to call Monitor Audio for a quote on two new tweeters!

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Could be internal wiring or crossover but extremely unlikely for it to happen to both in transit. Did you collect or were they couriered?

It's easy enough to remove the tweeter in the RS6, just four torx screws on the front. Not sure how they're connected, whether soldered or not. If you take them out be careful, especially if the magnetic grille has been removed.

The plate carrying the binding posts should be equally easy to remove for inspection.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If the seller is amenable I'd just return them for a refund. If they've been abused enough to blow both tweeters, who knows what other ills they may have suffered?

I wouldn't worry about the seller being amenable. Contact him and arrange a full refund. Its about time people learnt the have to be truthful about what they put on ebay. If he sold these as fully working and they obviously are not then you should demand a refund and probably your petrol costs as well. Just mention posting bad feedback and see what happens or use EDbay's Dispute system.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Alears said:
I wouldn't worry about the seller being amenable.
All very well in theory but what happens if the seller refuses? The Ebay/Paypal dispute process will require that the speakers are returned by a trackable courier, so rocking up on the seller's doorstep won't cut it. Ignoring the cost of shipping a pair of RS6s (always assuming the boxes are available), then all the seller has to do is refuse the delivery. Better to do it amicably rather than go in all guns blazing with threats.

Items that are collected & paid for in cash are in a bit of of a grey area as far as the dispute process is concerned, as there is no evidence that the transaction took place at all.

Looking at it from the seller's perspective, if the speakers were working & he's now landed with a pair with blown tweeters, he's likely to think that the OP has damaged them. The OP should really have requested a demo before parting with the cash but that's easily said in hindsight.

Crocodile said:
Alears said:
I wouldn't worry about the seller being amenable.
All very well in theory but what happens if the seller refuses? The Ebay/Paypal dispute process will require that the speakers are returned by a trackable courier, so rocking up on the seller's doorstep won't cut it. Ignoring the cost of shipping a pair of RS6s (always assuming the boxes are available), then all the seller has to do is refuse the delivery. Better to do it amicably rather than go in all guns blazing with threats.

Items that are collected & paid for in cash are in a bit of of a grey area as far as the dispute process is concerned, as there is no evidence that the transaction took place at all.

Looking at it from the seller's perspective, if the speakers were working & he's now landed with a pair with blown tweeters, he's likely to think that the OP has damaged them. The OP should really have requested a demo before parting with the cash but that's easily said in hindsight.

Amicably is better I agree. The dispute process is there for just this reason. Not sure where you got the idea that the OP paid cash. I certainly hope he didn't, and if he went to collect in person then an audition should have been carried out when he did. Its very improbable that you would blow one let alone two tweeters in a transit situation so the seller probably knew they were duff when he sold them. If this was not mentioned in the items description then the OP has full recourse to the Dispute Process and should use it.
Lets just hope he didn't pay cash!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I have BR5s It looks like they use same tweeter as RS6. Shall I take one out and put it in RS6 to test? From what I read there are only torx screws nothing else.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
mattjax05 said:
I have BR5s It looks like they use same tweeter as RS6. Shall I take one out and put it in RS6 to test? From what I read there are only torx screws nothing else.

There must be something connecting the speaker to the wiring.

I am of the impression there is no soldering?

A

Anonymous

As I commented before that I have just replaced a tweeter on my br5s they are very easy to change just undo the bolts and you will find the wires connected to the speaker using a kind of spade connection on the tweeter end which is pushed into a connection which is crimped together to hold it in place

Word of warning make sure you keep hold of the cable that comes out of the speaker it's not very long

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Put the br5 tweeters on the rs6 and they sound great. So I need new tweeters, phoned up MA earlier and they may have some in stock half price. Now I just need to consider what actions to take against seller who is not making contact.

A

Anonymous

hi guys im new here .just got back from weekend away to find out my son has had a party and blown one of the tweeter in my bx6 how do i change it

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
roygrey said:
hi guys im new here .just got back from weekend away to find out my son has had a party and blown one of the tweeter in my bx6 how do i change it

If you want to learn your son a lesson, then take the speaker to the dealership where you bought it and have them do the repair and make your son pay for it.

If you want the cheaper version, just order a new tweeter from MA or your dealer and install it yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts