Monitor Audio RS6. Not sure if i have bought the right speaker now I have them home.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Days man, not minutes!!!

My RS6s took about two weeks to get to where they are now, so I would give it time. I certainly don't find the hardness you mention, so hopefully it is a running-in thing.

If however, after a fortnight (of reasonable use obviously, just waiting two weeks and not using them won't do much!), you still find the same, then I would suggest that your ears are not MA Silver-friendly (or inversely, the MA-Silver range are not your-ears-friendly!)

A

Anonymous

1 - Thread starter say he demo the speakers and then buy online. I say tough luck to this man because if he had bought from his dealer then his dealer will be helping him right now! Ha.

2 - I don't see why many people like RS6. They so bright and artificial. Jazz is "yuck" on RS6.

3 - I don't think two wrongs make a right. By these I mean RS6 is bright so you put with Arcam UK because that is dull. You may get a sound that is in the middle - ok. I would buy neutral amp and neutral loud speaker.

matthewpiano

santino.b.it:
1 - Thread starter say he demo the speakers and then buy online. I say tough luck to this man because if he had bought from his dealer then his dealer will be helping him right now! Ha.

2 - I don't see why many people like RS6. They so bright and artificial. Jazz is "yuck" on RS6.

3 - I don't think two wrongs make a right. By these I mean RS6 is bright so you put with Arcam UK because that is dull. You may get a sound that is in the middle - ok. I would buy neutral amp and neutral loud speaker.

Harsh. We've all made potential mistakes buying hi-fi and the op may well find he likes the sound onces the RS6s have run in. If not Ebay provides a great way out.

A

Anonymous

santino.b.it:

I like this guy
emotion-14.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
santino.b.it:

Hmmmm another really helpful post!!!

If youre not going to write anything thats constructive and helpful please dont bother at all!!!

The guy's come on here to ask peoples opinions about how long the RS6's will take to warm up and run in properly.

There has been some good posts on here about what to do and also that his amp may not be up to par. There are also some people on here with both Arcam and M/A speakers or one or the other who have givin him good opinions.

It doesnt need someone to come on here to personally slate either or both!

A

Anonymous

I am sorry if my post hurt some feelings but English not my mother tongue no.

Compare to some fine Italian speakers I hear the RS6 is just not that good. The trebel frequencies is popular criticising of the loudspeakers.

The poster say "not sure if bought right speaker". I say "No, maybe you have not; it a bright speaker".

I think it look like this thread is more about RS6 owners club patting on the back and making excuses about "running in" or something. I didn't think these is a Naim forum! They like that excuses.

Give the RS6 some time, but if you dont likes do not be afraid to ignore What Hifi and buys your difference loudspeaker. Maybe Sonous Fabers :) :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all you comments guys,

I willl keep you posted.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Only ever criticise Arcam if you don't like a natural sound and you want something that puts its own spin on the musice. If you want faithful reproduction then you can do a lot worse than Arcam. I do realise this isn't everyone's bag, but it's mine.

A

Anonymous

well what i will say is that, normally they don't even change you just get used to the sound and you grow to like it more, basically if you go back to the b&w's in 2 years time and you've been listening to the ma rs6's, the b&w's may sound different once again, basically your ears can adapt to a different sound over time, this isn't a bad thing, i don't think. But either way all speakers can do the same thing . just, some really good quality speakers like the monitor audio platinum (expensive speaker) may not change that much as they already just sound, perfect i guess. do you get what I'm trying to say?

A

Anonymous

naim is holmes:well what i will say is that, normally they don't even change you just get used to the sound and you grow to like it more...

Sorry mate, but speakers do change after several hours of running in...

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys, Well its been 2 years since I bought the RS 6's. I have upgraded the cables to kimber and recently upgraded my amp to a reasonably priced second hand Arcam A22.

The change in amp made a huge difference to sound. Everything became more neutral and the 100w per channel gives so much more control than the A65+.

Anyway, sorting through the loft, I came across my old B&W 602 s3's and thought I would hook them up to compare the MA vs B&W sound again after my initial concerns about the MA's. Guess what.....I think I still prefer the B&W's, although both speakers have pros and cons.

The B&W are so much smoother, and all C.D's sound great regardless of their production quality. This is great in as much as I can play any artist and enjoy the music. Bass is also great and the speaker seems to intergrate well across the frequency range.

The M.A's on the other hand can sound stunning with certain recordings, but a lot of my CD collection is less enjoyable. I find myself only playing well produced material. Rock music sounds horrible. The bass on the M.A's is also powerful and more taught than the B&W's but I am not sure if it sounds too much (Hard to describe). The treble is fast and articulate and well produced electronic material such as Shpongle sounds fantastic. The problem appears to be in the mid range. Back to back with the B&W's, the mids sound too forward and vocals sound horribly colured. The B&W's are so much more neutral and smooth.

Listening to the speakers back to back, I prefer the sonic balance of the B&W's although the MA's sound and look a better quality speaker.

So now I am thinking, what do I upgrade to? I am after the smooth neutral sound of the B&W's but with a more refined articulate sound. I think drummer man recommended the Rega R3's sometime ago. Are these still a good choice for second hand money?

Comments appreciated........

Matt

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i'd say you would like the sound of dynaudios products but i have no experience of them with your amp, maybe somebody else has partnered dynaudio and arcam. if you like the b&w sound why not look at their cm range of products, probably a better match with your arcams

A

Anonymous

to be honest i also find myself playing the cds that sound best , complex tracks are not the best on my system , rock especially so , i was blaming my amp , oh gawd i hope it is the amp
emotion-8.gif

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The Monitor Audio rx6 is a very, very good speaker, maybe only the Paradigm Monitor 7 can perform in the same way in that price league.

The rx6 will perform better with a better amp, NAD 355 is a very nice amp combo with the rx6. Naim 5i and Exposure 2010s did both a very good job. But if you take the Naim XS it wil perform even better.

If I had the money I would change my NAD 355 /cd 345 to the Naim XS/cd5xs with the RX6 and then upgrade the speakers in a couple of years to Sonus Faber or Spendor wich performed brilliant with Naim and are more neutral speakers.

I think the marantz 6003 has not enough guts to perform well with rock/metal music, i think you should look at NAD or if you have more money Naim or Exposure.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FWIW I don't think santino.b.it will be back to offer further advice: I think he's a bit busy running his own entirely-independent-not-tied-to-any-maker-of-active-bookshelf-sized-speakers forum these days...

A

Anonymous

I've had similar experiences to you, Blueorb, with the RS series of speakers. They can certainly sound impressive but the metal cone and tweeter material seems to impart some colour and hardness. My fix from RS1s was to buy the Spendor SA1. These have a plaster polymer cone and fabric dome tweeter, both giving a much more natural and sweet sound. See if you can audition some other speakers with cone materials other than metal and possibly a fabric tweeter.

The Rega RS series or even the earlier R series are superb VFM, with the 5s being a good swap for the RS6s. They would suit a smooth amp like the Arcam too. Don't get me wrong, theye're not warm and cosy speakers but maintain a much more natural balance than the RS6s. These RS5s on eBay seem like a fair price.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I've never understood all the fuzz about Monitor Audio speakers. When I heard the Dali Lektor series I finally realized how a midrange should sound. Very natural and flowing.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Blueorb:

Hi Guys, Well its been 2 years since I bought the RS 6's. I have upgraded the cables to kimber and recently upgraded my amp to a reasonably priced second hand Arcam A22.

The change in amp made a huge difference to sound. Everything became more neutral and the 100w per channel gives so much more control than the A65+.

Anyway, sorting through the loft, I came across my old B&W 602 s3's and thought I would hook them up to compare the MA vs B&W sound again after my initial concerns about the MA's. Guess what.....I think I still prefer the B&W's, although both speakers have pros and cons.

The B&W are so much smoother, and all C.D's sound great regardless of their production quality. This is great in as much as I can play any artist and enjoy the music. Bass is also great and the speaker seems to intergrate well across the frequency range.

The M.A's on the other hand can sound stunning with certain recordings, but a lot of my CD collection is less enjoyable. I find myself only playing well produced material. Rock music sounds horrible. The bass on the M.A's is also powerful and more taught than the B&W's but I am not sure if it sounds too much (Hard to describe). The treble is fast and articulate and well produced electronic material such as Shpongle sounds fantastic. The problem appears to be in the mid range. Back to back with the B&W's, the mids sound too forward and vocals sound horribly colured. The B&W's are so much more neutral and smooth.

Listening to the speakers back to back, I prefer the sonic balance of the B&W's although the MA's sound and look a better quality speaker.

So now I am thinking, what do I upgrade to? I am after the smooth neutral sound of the B&W's but with a more refined articulate sound. I think drummer man recommended the Rega R3's sometime ago. Are these still a good choice for second hand money?

Comments appreciated........

Matt

The RS6s must be bad if some 602s with a hole in the driver! still sound as good/better.

And I thought Kevlar was bullet proof.
emotion-5.gif

I had to put the grilles on my own 602s last weekend. A friend and his family came over to see my Wife, and their 2 year old kept climbing on the arm of my sofa and grabbing the phase plug! Not having kids myself, it's hard to judge the appropriate amount of OI! for a 2 year old.
emotion-2.gif

Could have been worse I guess. No lasting damage and at least he couldn't reach the tweeter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts