Monitor Audio RS5/ Rega R3/ or else?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

greetings from the east. I’m new to the forum, this is my first post and I’ll start right with asking for a little help. I’m sure someone can give me precious infos here.
emotion-5.gif

I’m planning to get a new speaker package (5.0) for both HT and music. This latter includes rock and a little classical (and more important than movies), the room is 12’x17’x12’ (nice height), curtain, carpet floor, my amp is Cambridge Audio and the speakers shouldn’t be hectic about positioning.

Despite auditioning a lot (Kef IQs, Polk Audio, Mission, etc.), I haven’t found a real favorite in the desired price range yet, but I still missed out some promising alternatives (there’s not that much opportunity here to listen to whatever you want... that’s why I’d like info as a guidance). E.g. the well regarded Monitor Audio Silvers. RS6 would be too much I think (for both my room and budget), so RS5 (as a front) could be nice, but what about the CA amp? I fear this combo would be too bright, with harsh trebbles, am I wrong?

Other alternative is Rega R3 (plus R1/ Ara surround, etc.). It’s supposed to be very good for music, but some folks disfavoured the Regas for HT. They have detail and also tight bass, so what’s the reason to this? Lack of openness, poor performance in creating a soundstage or just the fact that you can get punchy HT speakers for less?

Please comment ont the two above speakers and/ or mention any other alternatives.

(Additionally: I have listened to Dynaudios and Dalis too and – sound-wise – I really liked them. But... this latter looks disappointing to me, even Ikon range has vinyl covering, and a Dyno set is already out of my budget. Proac, Spendor too... By the way, anyone heard of the Danish System Audio speakers?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts