Monitor Audio PL100 Question

avalon

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello all.

Long-time lurker from Australia, now getting back into hifi after a forced absence.

I am considering a second hand pair of the MA PL100's. Amp is a Marantz PM7200 and older Marantz CDP (soon to be updated to current model). I mainly listen to female and male vocals, instrumental and ambient. Large living space.

My question is whether the PM7200 will do the speakers justice, and will the combination work? I'm assuming that I will have to run the amp in class A/B mode. I won't be able to listen to the combination before purchase.

The vague plan is to gradually upgrade around the speakers.

Appreciate any thoughts or input.

Cheers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Welcome Avalon :)

While the PM7200 will power the PL100's to a reasonable level, it won't do them justice. It'll be fine until you upgrade as long as you don't get twitchy on the volume control :)

Hi avalon

PL100's will benefit from even higher quality of amplification. As long as you're not after constant disco like levels then in the mean time the PM7200 will be sufficient for the PL100's. Non class A configuration will give you greater quantity of power however do also try running the PM7200 in class A mode as it will sound better and might also still have enough power to meet your listening levels.

Btw, what colour are the PL100's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

avalon

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
David and Rick, thanks for your replies.

Rick, not sure if they are the rosewood or ebony. Does one sound better than the other? :grin:

Any thoughts on the synergy between Marantz and the PL100.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts