Monitor Audio GSW 12 Sub Set up.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning all. Has anyone got any tips they might be able to share with regards proper set up procedure for a GSW12 Sub. The manual is great at telling what it does but not very good and telling you how to make it do it. When I first demo'd the unit it was awesome and really added to the whole sound stage, however I ran an auto set up procedure via my amp and it now sounds very week and seems to have lost it's punch and vibrancy. I have gone through the menu setting via the amp and reset them to my preferred levels and though the sub works I still can't seem to get the kind of attack from it that I oricinally fell for. Any advice?

Thanks Adamk69

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I forget off the top of my head which setting it was, but I think it was called 'slam'. Turn this up to max and buckle up......
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

SLAM!!! LOL!!! Brilliant! I have not found that one but I think it might be 'Impact' you are thinking of. Although all subs should have a 'Slam' mode. The various modes set the sub up at various preset EQ Levels. The trouble is I am short of the vocabulary needed to understand most of it!! Yes I am a techno moron. An auto set up would be really handy with this product as the options are many for fine tuning, I will have a run at the Impact mode and see what happens.......

Thanks David

A

Anonymous

Well, It certainly has Impact. LOL! Just ran a quick chapter or 2 of Transformers on BD and there certainly some sonic activity that was missing in Movie mode. I shall keep playing......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Adamk69:Well, It certainly has Impact. LOL! Just ran a quick chapter or 2 of Transformers on BD and there certainly some sonic activity that was missing in Movie mode. I shall keep playing......

What speakers do you have in your set up? I set my speakers to small on my receiver and then let the receiver control the sub (I have the RSW12 but the same should apply). My front floorstanders are set to 80hz crossover and the centre 90hz. I have my Radius rear sat speakers set at 100hz. On my receiver, the volume level for the sub is -20 - +10db. I have mine set at -15db and it is LOUD!!!!

A

Anonymous

I have the following speaker set up:

GS20 Fronts / GSLCR Centre / GSFX 's at the rear and a pair of RD90 HD's at the side mounted up high. I have heard back from the chaps at Monitor audio and they suggested a factory reset which I have done. This seems to have solved the problem and the sub is back to it's ridiculouly bombastic self. The problem started when I ran the audessey set up via my Onk 905, I have since returned to my original settings as I felt th Audessey mode produced a far more subdued performance than I was after. I had the sub turned to -6 to get the kind of thump I was after and even then it seemed lazy. We are now back to rattling the doors and windows at anthing more than -18. Thanks for the thought! IT IS A MONSTER!!!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Adamk69:
I have the following speaker set up:

GS20 Fronts / GSLCR Centre / GSFX 's at the rear and a pair of RD90 HD's at the side mounted up high. I have heard back from the chaps at Monitor audio and they suggested a factory reset which I have done. This seems to have solved the problem and the sub is back to it's ridiculouly bombastic self. The problem started when I ran the audessey set up via my Onk 905, I have since returned to my original settings as I felt th Audessey mode produced a far more subdued performance than I was after. I had the sub turned to -6 to get the kind of thump I was after and even then it seemed lazy. We are now back to rattling the doors and windows at anthing more than -18. Thanks for the thought! IT IS A MONSTER!!!!

I can only imagine as mine is a beast. Can you imagine the Platinum one with a pre power combo!!

A

Anonymous

I have had the dubious pleasure of that listening experience. I only say dubious because I left the room almost in tears and wondering what to sell first in order to attain the system. It was made up as follows:

PL300's / PLC350 / PL100 rears / PLW15

The source system was a top end NAIM set up with a retail price boardering on the the mortgage level with cabling to match. It was movie madness and to be fair musically, although stunning, the room needed to be at least twice the size for them to breath properly. They are also one of the best finished speaker products I have seen outside of top end Sonus Faber. Ahh we can but dream..... They are still in situ to my best knowledge.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Adamk69:
I have had the dubious pleasure of that listening experience. I only say dubious because I left the room almost in tears and wondering what to sell first in order to attain the system. It was made up as follows:

PL300's / PLC350 / PL100 rears / PLW15

The source system was a top end NAIM set up with a retail price boardering on the the mortgage level with cabling to match. It was movie madness and to be fair musically, although stunning, the room needed to be at least twice the size for them to breath properly. They are also one of the best finished speaker products I have seen outside of top end Sonus Faber. Ahh we can but dream..... They are still in situ to my best knowledge.

That's my dream system! But I'd use Leema Acoustics amplification. Where did you hear it?

A

Anonymous

It was at Audio T in Camberley, Surrey. It is well wort a visit. It was about 6 mths back but they may well still have the kit installed. They also ran a Pioneer BDLX91 and the £5000.00 Pioneer AMP (not sure of the model but it was very large) for the movies and had just got the latest Marantz DLP Projector in as well.

A

Anonymous

Just reread your message and noticed your kit listing, respect!

A

Anonymous

It's pretty straight foward.

There is a factory reset procedure. To do it, turn the unit off at the back, press and hold the dial on top of the cabinet (by the display) and turn the sub back on.

There should be a message appears that says something about the version (completely different to the Monitor Audio Welcome message). To complete the factory reset, you need to save the settings.

A

Anonymous

You're welcome, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. It is like a different unit, we are talking BIG BASS!

A

Anonymous

How are you getting on with the OPPO? I must admit it's a new one to me, I trust it's a class peice of kit going by what it is matched with? I bought a BD35 to see what the BD format was like last christmas. I was running a DVLX50 prior to that and a large library of DVD's that meant if the difference wasn;t that good then I would not fork out more. Needless to say the BD format with 7.1 HD surround is just stunning so a new and better BD player is on the shopping list.

I demo'd the BT2500 Denon and the BDLX71. While the denon was very good I would have had to add shelf space in the kit rack for it as it is a big unit and nees space to breath plus it's expensive or at least was. The Pioneer LX71 was a good match for the TV but was still nearly £600 at the tme? I like the look of the OPPO though so would be interested in your comments and with how it mates with your system.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I couldn't try the OPPO before a bought it, but researched it thoroughly. Having had an OPPO DVD player I felt sure it would be a winner, the service from OPPO is second to none, through the order process to the quality of the product it's self was excellent.
The OPPO is a smooth operator everything I put into it DVD, DVD-audio, SACD, CD's, Bluray's and video files are played without a glitch. I now use a 5.1 configuration as this works better in our room than a 7.1 due to the seating locations; I have Bi-amped the front speakers which pays dividends when listening to music, better control and faster clearer transients.

The audio and video are a major step up from the Sony BDP-S350/OPPO DV-981HD combination I used before video just appears more 3 dimensional sound has a better snap and control at the lower registers is better defined.
I have since tried the Denon and Pioneer players that you mentioned just being inquisitive as i already had the OPPO BDP and found Bluray picture and sound to be similar to each other but the load times were just horrendous. DVD playback from the OPPO is in a different league sharper and panning shots are more fluid.

My Sony TV doesn't support 24fps but the OPPO appears to manage motion better than the other players.
If I were you I would go for the OPPO, while there have been a few firmware updates these are common across Bluray players to support the atrocious java code written by film companies, OPPO appear to have a firm grip of any issues and remedy them quickly. They also respond to support e-mails in a professional and timely manor.

I hope this helps you with your choice as these are always individual and emotional choices.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I couldn't agree more, the load times were ridiculous for the players mentioned and even the Panasonic struggles in this area so it would be nice to have a player that loads the disc in the same 24hr period in which you wish to watch it. (try saying that with a mouth full of marbles!)

I have had a look a this player (BDP-83) now on OPPO's site and they are advertising it at $499.00. does that seem reasonable and would you know if there is any additional work that needs doing to it in order for it to plug and play in the U.K with region 2 discs?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, scrap that last question I have found a U.K supplier and their site tells me what I all I need to know ref the regions etc. Thanks anyway though. They are CRT Projectors, ever heard of them?

A

Anonymous

I was running a 5.1 configuration due to seating and room layout aswell when a thought struck me.... without boring you with the process I ended buying a pair of R90 HD's which I mounted up high (about 6 inches from the ceiling) a third the way down the room. They are mounted on some pretty tasty wall brackets bought from Maplin (the MA are rubbish) which have safety chains and point down and towards the back of the room but fairly much directly at the best listening postion. They have filled out the middle of the sound field beautifully and gave me the 7.1 surround that I wanted without having to compromise the seating.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
While that sounds like a good idea, I feel like the Bi-amping of the main speakers has rejuvenated my taste for music it sounds quite spectacular again.

I was running a Denon AVC-a11sr with Quad speakers 12L's, L-center 11L's back and Mission M3DS as surround, then I changed the amp for the onkyo and found that music suffered.

A year down the line I started on the upgrade path again looking just to replace the M3DS's ended up with a complete MA setup (**** happens), I had MA3's, CC200 and MA700's in the past , music has appeared to recover its snap clarity and drive, Bi-amping was the icing on the cake. I think i amy stick with this for a while. SUB now sounds explosive and fast with movies and music after reset re re-cal. I use LFE for movies and line in for music it sounds awesome calibrated line in using Alan Parsons sound check cd.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cwalduck:
I couldn't try the OPPO before a bought it, but researched it thoroughly. Having had an OPPO DVD player I felt sure it would be a winner, the service from OPPO is second to none, through the order process to the quality of the product it's self was excellent.
The OPPO is a smooth operator everything I put into it DVD, DVD-audio, SACD, CD's, Bluray's and video files are played without a glitch. I now use a 5.1 configuration as this works better in our room than a 7.1 due to the seating locations; I have Bi-amped the front speakers which pays dividends when listening to music, better control and faster clearer transients.

The audio and video are a major step up from the Sony BDP-S350/OPPO DV-981HD combination I used before video just appears more 3 dimensional sound has a better snap and control at the lower registers is better defined.
I have since tried the Denon and Pioneer players that you mentioned just being inquisitive as i already had the OPPO BDP and found Bluray picture and sound to be similar to each other but the load times were just horrendous. DVD playback from the OPPO is in a different league sharper and panning shots are more fluid.

My Sony TV doesn't support 24fps but the OPPO appears to manage motion better than the other players.
If I were you I would go for the OPPO, while there have been a few firmware updates these are common across Bluray players to support the atrocious java code written by film companies, OPPO appear to have a firm grip of any issues and remedy them quickly. They also respond to support e-mails in a professional and timely manor.

I hope this helps you with your choice as these are always individual and emotional choices.

that's interesting to me as I have the same screen as you (by the way, do you still love the W2000? I'm still impressed with mine). I do notice the lack of 24fps but I would not change my screen for that reason alone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts