Monitor Audio BX5 light on low frequency punch?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, although I have used these forums as a source of information in the past this has been the first time that I really need some inside/expert advise, tbh all advice would help.

I recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio BX5 speakers to run through my Cambridge Audio Azur 640A MKII amp, although I have had less than a dozen hours of break in time, i have been less than impressed with the bass response. The speakers on the whole are fabulous the high and mid frequencies are far in excess of my expectations and certainly do show what can be done at this price range, in addition the fantastic slim design is perfect for my current living conditions and shows how MA make full use of the construction space. However the only concern i have is for the low frequency response, in music requiring a deep bass punch the speakers seem to be a little hollow, the best I can think of describing it is that the bass response is there in theory and you can tell the speaker is producing what should be heard on the track, but it’s just not a powerful deep punch and as a result seems to be a little hollow in the deep bass frequencies. I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything, due to the fact that I managed to get a steal on the speakers one option I was considering pursuing was a dedicated small subwoofer. I know this is one area that causes some debate in audiophiles, i.e. the acceptance of separate subwoofers in stereo set ups but for this purpose I think this could be a viable option. Or will this clear up with break in?

A

Anonymous

I have the BX5's and don't have any issues re deep bass at all; mine go very low indeed & hove no trouble hitting the deep bass notes

For me your issue lies with your amp

I've never been a fan of the C/A gear and always found their soundstgae to be clinical and the bass a bit shy/wooley

Have you heard your speakers with any other amp; my advice would be demo them withna NAD C326BEE & you'll soon hear the difference

ltmatl

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
mine needed quite a bit longer than 12 hours to sound their best, but now the bass is great. Just give them time before you change anything.

Topcat3115

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Ma's need at least 50 to 60 hours of running in....and possibly more if you only listen to them a low levels...THEN... you will hear the bass kick through..What the others told you is a possability also...but running in is very important... There are 2 ways...Firstly you can just do the general playing back at a generous level on a regular basis with the bass turned up to get the rubbers moving and more supple.......OR (as MA suggest) you can put the 2 speakers facing each other (about a 1" gap...but remove the binding straps from the ONE speaker only..this will cause an out of phase (used when using them as rear speakers in a sound surround system).. turn them on at a very low level and leave them run for 3 to 4 days.... Personally..I ran a Sound loop of very low frequencies for about 2 hours a day ( along with listening to them as well ) and they were run in around 3 weeks... You can get the low frequeny from You tube..it starts at 5hz and rises to 100 hz at 4second intervals... Don't go too loud though...at certain levels it WILL kick ass, so don't go mad with the volume...and tie things down.. :)..

I know this is a late reply, but I've just purchased mine and love them to bits... for the money they are fantastic...revealing.. sound staging incredible.. treble mid range and bass are superb...Hope you eventually got to like yours..Cheers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Give them another 10-20 hours. BX5s have good depth and punch to the bass, although you should keep in mind that the slim form/smaller cabinet volume means that they won't have as much as speakers with a bigger cabinet.

You can also try different positioning, etc. I've seen speaker manufacturers demo subs to supplement floorstanders, but unless your room is very big I think the BX5s should have plenty of bass. It isn't going to be fat woolly nightclub PA system bass though. If it is your first hifi it can sometimes take a little while to get used to tight, detailed tunefull bass.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I got a magazine test of your speakers and they came out with flying colours, measuring superbly for a budget speaker. Bass was particularely praised, being both very well extended and even. They also dont seem to pose any particular reactive problems to average amplifiers but I assume the test system was somewhat more capable than your cambridge audio. - My guess is the Monitor Audio is showing up the deficiencies of your amplifier and I'd be inclined to change that.

A subwoofer will certainly help filling in but you have to get the match right. I am very much in favor of a good subwoofer in a stereo system and use on myself.

regards

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard them with the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A, but I've heard them with lower powered amps (Marantz pm6004/7004, CEC AMP 3800) and they seemed to have no trouble getting decent punch and depth out of the speakers in the middle of a large room (no walls nearby to reinforce the bass), so your Cambridge Audio shouldn't have any trouble driving them well (in theory)

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Maybe its a bit of breaking in needed, but to be honest I blame the amp, CA are good in the higher mids and have clear highs but they seem to have no upper bass punch , this is the main problem IMO , I had one from richers on trial and felt I needed to turn the bass contol up, but even that only had a subtle effect,

changed it for a marantz PM7001, much better bass :dance:

Fred24

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
To OP

I seems to be having the same problem with BX2 ( good mid and high frequencies, but lack of bass). BX2 and BX5 equally have received good reviews on WHF and IMO these MAs will tend to have similar tonal charactestics since thay from the same series and share similar technology , drivers etc. As I have suspect I think the Amp is the culprit.

I regret buying the AS500 as they quite bright and that has not helped my MA BX2 at all.. just imagine my old DM38 used to drive more bass from the BX2 however it was lacking in detail etc..i even tried a different source as i thought it was the CD player but to no avail..even speaker position was ok, 0ver 6 months running in..

so this have proven that the Amp might be the weakess link....it seems those MA bronze seems to work better with a warmish Amp..i will not think they will have gained 5* for nothing,,they certainly deserve every bit but with the wrong kit they simply wont shine..

i know how you feel especialy when listening to song you have known all your life which contain certain bass line from drum or guitar and you seems to be wondering where they have vanish..atleast it have stolen my listening pleasure for a while..

Hope this help..

gasolin

Fred24 said:
To OP

I seems to be having the same problem with BX2 ( good mid and high frequencies, but lack of bass). BX2 and BX5 equally have received good reviews on WHF and IMO these MAs will tend to have similar tonal charactestics since thay from the same series and share similar technology , drivers etc. As I have suspect I think the Amp is the culprit.

I regret buying the AS500 as they quite bright and that has not helped my MA BX2 at all.. just imagine my old DM38 used to drive more bass from the BX2 however it was lacking in detail etc..i even tried a different source as i thought it was the CD player but to no avail..even speaker position was ok, 0ver 6 months running in..

so this have proven that the Amp might be the weakess link....it seems those MA bronze seems to work better with a warmish Amp..i will not think they will have gained 5* for nothing,,they certainly deserve every bit but with the wrong kit they simply wont shine..

i know how you feel especialy when listening to song you have known all your life which contain certain bass line from drum or guitar and you seems to be wondering where they have vanish..atleast it have stolen my listening pleasure for a while..

Hope this help..

Should have bought a denon ceol or marantz mcr503/603 instead of the Yamaha As500 to replace your denon dm38dab?

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The problem is probably positioning / room acoustics. Try moving your listening position and the speakers around by very small amounts. If you are sitting right in front of a hard wall or other reflective surface cover it with something to stop all the treble coming straight back at you.

Worth spending a bit of time on this before you go spending hundreds of pounds to replace a very capable amp.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
londonguy said:
you people know you are responding to an almost 2 year old thread dont you? Im guessing they are run in by now.

LOL, I didn't even realize it was a dead thread that had been resurrected :oops:

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The BX5s probably sound worse than before due to all these years of excess wear, especially on the woofers and equipment...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts