Monitor Audio bronze 2 speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
knaithrover said:
Vladimir said:
manicm said:
Considering the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is about half the price of the cheapest KEF, I have to take the crusade against this speaker with a pinch of salt, especially since I had its predecessor the BX2, and now I have the RX1.

Was the finish of the BX2 the greatest? Clearly not. But at the end of my Arcam Solo Mini it was a very clean and bright, but never harsh, sounding speaker. It did tend to give its best at higher volumes though.

As is always possible, perhaps the OP had mismatch. And from what I've gleaned, if he found the Bronze 2 bright, he's going to have the same problem with the KEF.

The RX sound also nasty. Those aluminium drivers enter breakup mode and it's audible. Maybe the next generation will improve on this.

My ears disagree, RX1's are excellent speakers in a small room set up imo, they look nice too.

My ears disagree. Wouldn't keep a pair even if it was free.

If you get a free pair can I have them?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Vladimir said:
knaithrover said:
Vladimir said:
manicm said:
Considering the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 is about half the price of the cheapest KEF, I have to take the crusade against this speaker with a pinch of salt, especially since I had its predecessor the BX2, and now I have the RX1.

Was the finish of the BX2 the greatest? Clearly not. But at the end of my Arcam Solo Mini it was a very clean and bright, but never harsh, sounding speaker. It did tend to give its best at higher volumes though.

As is always possible, perhaps the OP had mismatch. And from what I've gleaned, if he found the Bronze 2 bright, he's going to have the same problem with the KEF.

The RX sound also nasty. Those aluminium drivers enter breakup mode and it's audible. Maybe the next generation will improve on this.

My ears disagree, RX1's are excellent speakers in a small room set up imo, they look nice too.

My ears disagree. Wouldn't keep a pair even if it was free.

If you get a free pair can I have them?

No problem. I have tinitus so I prefer gentler upper end as I age.

TempWhatHifiName121

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I really like mine, but need to be paired correctly. So mine sound really good with my Nad d3020, but only budget with my Arcam. Different rooms though.

With my Nad they are very musical, fun, fast and detailed. In a small room, with mostly hard surfaces. Exactly like the WHF review describes. And I preferred them to the Silvers when trying out - I was quite surprised.

So down to synergy and tastes.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Simon Floyd said:
I really like mine, but need to be paired correctly. So mine sound really good with my Nad d3020, but only budget with my Arcam. Different rooms though.

With my Nad they are very musical, fun, fast and detailed. In a small room, with mostly hard surfaces. Exactly like the WHF review describes. And I preferred them to the Silvers when trying out - I was quite surprised.

So down to synergy and tastes.

My BX2's were matched with an old Nad C320bee with similar results, extremely musical with depth. RX's sound good with Arcam amplification, they really sing with my FMJ19

TempWhatHifiName121

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I had a Nad 320 and thought that is sounded very poor with the MAs. I dont like the Nad sound, it is a bit dull tbh. But, the D3020 is quite different. I have also listened to the newer digital NAD amps, looking for an upgrade, and have found then dull too. No musicality, detail or fun. The D3020 appears to be a departure, and Sevenoaks said the same on an audition. Same goes for the Blue sound stuff when I auditioned it - a bit lifeless. Which is a shame as great idea.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Wellll......I've just taken delivery of a pair of KEF Q300s this morning, and had them on for an hour or so.

They are literally in a different league to the Monitor Audio Bronze 2. Gone is all the harshness of treble, they are a bit deeper so living in a flat I can't have them on too loud if upstairs is in, but aside of that even at low levels, the male and especially female vocals are crisp, clear and not fuzzy at all. The seperation is great, listening to this is a pleasure again and in the last couple of years it almost feels like I had forgotten what that is like. I would have got them initially, probably, if they hadn't been the price they were but now for 200 quid off, they are a steal in spite of my taking a hit on my MS's when I sell them.

I would be mad to put the MSs back on the stands again.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
As I got them online I was fully prepared to send them back and look further afield and consider floorstanders but I won't be doing that now.

Thanks to everybody for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts