Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speaker upgrade

wallaceandrosie

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Hello there...

Can anyone suggest a suitable upgrade for a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers which are currently being used with a Marantz PM6007 amp, or do you think an upgrade is even necessary? I've always really liked the sound of the MAs and noticed a real improvement when I upgraded to the Marantz amp from a decades-old NAD C352, so I'm wondering whether spending £700 or so on new speakers would make an appreciable improvement in sound. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance...

There are many possibilities at that price, including a number of popular floor-standing models. Are you in a position to visit a store like Richer Sounds, Audio T or Sevenoaks, or maybe you have an independent dealer within reach?

Dali, Wharfedale, Q Acoustics and Monitor Audio are often recommended and widely available.

Different speakers will definitely give a different presentation, but ultimately it’s your ears and room they need to suit. Your Marantz will manage fine with anything in this price range as long as you’re not trying to fill a stadium!

There are many possibilities at that price, including a number of popular floor-standing models. Are you in a position to visit a store like Richer Sounds, Audio T or Sevenoaks, or maybe you have an independent dealer within reach?

Dali, Wharfedale, Q Acoustics and Monitor Audio are often recommended and widely available.

Different speakers will definitely give a different presentation, but ultimately it’s your ears and room they need to suit. Your Marantz will manage fine with anything in this price range as long as you’re not trying to fill a stadium!
True, I would throw in B&W for good measure as they seem to work well with Marantz.
audition is the key as the MAs are not bad at all, so audition at home if possible.
And, if space available, look at small floorstanders

wallaceandrosie

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site

wallaceandrosie

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
That's great - thanks for your quick response! I can certainly get to a Richer Sounds. I'm by no means an expert and was wary of spending money on something that the Marantz didn't justify! Thanks again...

matthewpianist

I would add B&W and Focal to the excellent list @nopiano has supplied. Both pair very well with Marantz.

Ultimately, you need to do some listening to decide whether a change within your budget is worthwhile to you. The Bronze 2s are very good standmounts, so it depends what kind of change and/or improvement you are seeking.

Reactions: WayneKerr

wallaceandrosie

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Agreed, listening's the key... They're never going to be played at high volume (upstairs neighbours..!) so as you say, it's a question of whether the investment is justified...

wallaceandrosie

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Good point... As I said, I'm by no means an audiophile and I don't listen at very high volumes, but I listen to a lot of opera and large-scale orchestral music, and I suppose - to use a technical term - I would like a bit more bass 'oomph'..!

matthewpianist

Good point... As I said, I'm by no means an audiophile and I don't listen at very high volumes, but I listen to a lot of opera and large-scale orchestral music, and I suppose - to use a technical term - I would like a bit more bass 'oomph'..!

This is where looking at floor standers may be a good idea. As you are happy with the MA sound I'd suggest looking at the MA Bronze 200s. They build nicely on the strengths of your Bronze 2s but add the additional depth of bass to really bring the cellos, double basses and lower brass alive. If you listen to any piano music, they're good there also, and there's also more body to voices than you'll be getting with the Bronze 2s. You'll be able to hear the baritonal qualities in Bergonzi's beautiful tenor voice to full effect.

I would also suggest considering the Acoustic Energy AE109.2 and the Q Acoustics 3050i.

Reactions: Al ears
Hello there...

Can anyone suggest a suitable upgrade for a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers which are currently being used with a Marantz PM6007 amp, or do you think an upgrade is even necessary? I've always really liked the sound of the MAs and noticed a real improvement when I upgraded to the Marantz amp from a decades-old NAD C352, so I'm wondering whether spending £700 or so on new speakers would make an appreciable improvement in sound. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance...
You could look at a better amplifier. I know this flies in the opposite direction to previous responses, but when I heard the older Bronze they work well when their metaphoric legs are stretched. If Marantz is the route then the 8006 will give those MAs a better workout.

If you're happy with the sound then stick with it. My philosophy has always been, "if it isn't broke...."

That said, it won't hurt to try both options at a local dealer.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts