Monitor Audio BR5 vs Monitor Audio RS6

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What kind of music do you listen to?

What are you using for an amp and CD player / source?

What size room have you got for your hifi?

A

Anonymous

RS6 is a superior speaker in every way. if you do a pepsi challenge and listen to them one after the other you can hear just how much clearer and more realistic the silver speakers are.The bronze 5's are very good though.Really punchy and lively.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Fraziel for the feedback. You answered my question but I appreciate feedback from others who have listened to both the Monitor Audio BR5 and Monitor Audio RS6.

My question is, all things being equal (same CD player, same amp, accessories, large enough room size, etc), how does the RS6 compare with the BR5?

What HiFi? has commented favourably on the BR5 and RS6 but have never pit both these MA speakers together. We know too that sometimes, a more expensive sibling is not necessarily of better quality.

If there's any out there (such as Clare) who can give more feedback, it would be very much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

i have heard them both.Did not hear them on the same day though. The BR5 is a belter but the RS6 is a better speaker.I have heard most of the mon audio bronze and silver range except the silver 8's or the av stuff. Silver stuff is better.You could consider the S5's as well.

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
I also have heard them both (RS6 and BR5)and bought the RS6. I bought the MA RS6, not because it was much better than MA BR5 but because i plays music in a way that I love.

In my opinion the BR5 is a more balanced speaker, but the RS6 are more rhythmic and punch the music in a very strong way. I also felt that the RS6 are a bit better in general but they are a bit agressive in the treble region.

If I couldn't afford the RS6 the BR5 could be my option. They are good and also better than MA RS5 that I could hear in the same audition.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Flatsound:Well guys, after 2 weeks my RS6 sound amazing. They just needed time to break in. I'm more than pleased with these speakers

The RS6 is a brilliant speaker - beg borrow or steal for the extra £200 or whatever the difference between the BR5s is.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
MA RS6 is a stunning speaker. The 5 stars it still retains from WHFSV can vouch for their SQ, period. Out of the box or in a showroom with unmatching amp and cdp, RS6 may sound bright, not musical, lacks bass, kind of comments. I can tell you as well as other RS6 users here, they sound stunning when brought home and after a proper break-in period.

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:MA RS6 is a stunning speaker. The 5 stars it still retains from WHFSV can vouch for their SQ, period. Out of the box or in a showroom with unmatching amp and cdp, RS6 may sound bright, not musical, lacks bass, kind of comments. I can tell you as well as other RS6 users here, they sound stunning when brought home and after a proper break-in period.

Yes vinod_david, more i listen these babies more i like them. They sound so musical

A

Anonymous

Flatsound:[..] If I couldn't afford the RS6 the BR5 could be my option. They are good and also better than MA RS5 that I could hear in the same audition.

The Monitor Audio RS5 is absolutely the better speaker compared to the Monitor Audio BR5. It's Silver vs Bronze... I have listened to them a lot of time and the difference is amazing! Just make sure you listen to speakers that are not brand new.. but have been used for a while. If you listen to a brand new RS5, it's not as good sounding as it is after about 60 hours break in period. Maybe that's the reason why you didn't like the RS5?

Compared to the BR5, the RS5 has a much better stereo image, better controled bass, more detailed midrange and much clearer in the highs. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan, I know you enjoy the 685's but any regrets about selling the RS6's? Also how does the speed of attack and rhythm of the RS6's compare to the BR2's? because i am caught in two mnds about bookshelf speakers and floor standers.

A

Anonymous

HiFiNewbie, get the RS6s if you can afford them! I have BR2s and I auditioned RS6s this weekend - what a difference! See my notes here.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Hi Dan, I know you enjoy the 685's but any regrets about selling the RS6's? Also how does the speed of attack and rhythm of the RS6's compare to the BR2's? because i am caught in two mnds about bookshelf speakers and floor standers.

TBH no; i loved the RS6's but they paved way (as well as my Arcam system) for my B&W XT, onk AV and PV1 sub surround sound system so i've got all the power i need there really.

The B&W 685's are superb and the bass they produce is staggering; more so for the size of them! Plus they suit the rear living room better than the RS6's would have.

The RS6's are chalk and cheese when compared to the BR2's. Obviously its hard to compare standmount speakers to floorstanders but the bass weight as well as the overall soundstage the RS6's give trounce the BR2's.

Deopending on the rest of your system and your jusic tastes; the RS6's will work very well but i will always say; avoid bright/forward CDPs and amps as the RS6's treble can be very bright sometimes

A

Anonymous

The NAD C352 is perfectly neutral so no problems there and it is definitely a speaker I shall be giving some serious though to, in chestnut to, they look fantastic, so hopefully they sound fantastic to, judging from the impressive performance of the BR2's (at least this with amp) then a trouncing of the BR2's would be great.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The RS6's will be spot on with the NAD; i demo'd my RS6's with my mates C352 and his C355BEE and the C352 sounded better; much smoother soundstage and more controlled bass :)

BUT... To throw a spanner in the works.

The RS6's sound oh so much better when bi-amped; go get yourself a NAD C272 haha

A

Anonymous

I hear you Dan, I know we had this convo before but i just hope that having the speakers approx 8 inches from the side walls and a little more than 10 inches away from the back walls will be sufficient in a room which is 3.4m *2.7m
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah; should be fine. Just use the foam bungs to balance them, out if necessary.

IMO i think you'd be best asking for a home demo as well just to make sure as if there is a lot of bass boom then buying the RS6's could prove to be a costly mistake :(

A

Anonymous

I am probably being a plank but seeing as though I have never felt any need to use bass bungs with the BR2's, then why might that arrise with the RS6's? surely I would just be getting a lot deeper but controlled bass and thus hopefully booming wouldn't be an issue.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:

I am probably being a plank but seeing as though I have never felt any need to use bass bungs with the BR2's, then why might that arrise with the RS6's? surely I would just be getting a lot deeper but controlled bass and thus hopefully booming wouldn't be an issue.

They are different machines my friend. You won't believe the difference between the two MA speakers. As for the bungs, I've not needed to use mine. In your size room, if you had them playing really loud you might get some boom (they are very powerful), however, you won't need to turn it up too much. Mine are about 12 inches from the rear wall and have been right in the corner of my room without issue. I do believe you will be sold as soon as you hear them in action - I was!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The power they give out leaves the BR2's standing!

The bass resonance could be an issue but you will only find out when you demo them, and as above, more so if you demo them at home.

Theyre superb speakers but definitly need room to breathe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts