Monitor Audio Apex

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
HI all

thinking about getting the Monitor Audio Apex, 3 x A40 front and 2 x A10 rear with 2 x 265IDC ceiling speakers for atmos. Ive already got a silver W12 sub. I have the Kef LS50 2 wireless for stereo use so I dont want more speakers at the front on the floor or bookshelf for the purpose of aesthetics. I want to wall mount the apex A40's around the TV. I also already have a Denon 4300 av receiver.

My only reservation is the age of the apex range, they came out around 10 years ago, are they still good today? They still seem to be the same price and not discounted anywhere but id hate to think they get a refresh any time soon having paid the amount they cost.

I cant see any potential other options that can be wall mounted and would work well with the ceiling speakers ( allthough not bought yet) and the sub and the denon amp.

They will not be used for music due to the Kef's so it is solely for AV use and although I know a full range system such as for eg the Silver series may be better sounding I want wall mounted speakers

I am pretty much sold on them but Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas before I take the plunge.

Thanks

I know little about the Apex but think you will find if they were good ten years ago then they will still be good today. Having said that with A V setups the center speaker quality is crucial, and that is what the A40 is. Why you would want three of them I have no idea as two A10s would suffice for the fronts. Save yourself some money I would say.
Speaker design doesn't change too much over time, and Monitor Audio know a thing or two about speaker design.

Last edited:
Agree with Al ears. Speaker design doesn't change much over the years. We're now used to the mobile phone generation where we eagerly anticipate a new model each year.

Monitor Audio did refresh the Radius range couple of years ago, but Apex came few years after Radius HD.

Also, if you speak to the dealer, you should get some discounts. Try David at Little Audio Company. He's a forum member here too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

abacus

If you have got the room and can afford them, then go for as many A40s as you can as it’s worth the extra outlay, it also means the sub crossover can be lower giving you a much more integrated sound field.

Other speakers to look at (Depending on the amount of room you have available) are the KEF T series, https://uk.kef.com/collections/t-series B&W M1 satellite speakers https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/mini-theater/m-1 and the ATC HTS series http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/hts-on-wall/hts7/

As mentioned in other posts speakers tend to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Bill

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replay guys
I’m pretty sold on the range. Just in terms of having 3 a40’s at the front surely this is the same as going for floor standers alongside a centre instead of just bookshelf, the benefit would be a fuller sound ?

D

Deleted member 196519

Hi thanks for the replay guys
I’m pretty sold on the range. Just in terms of having 3 a40’s at the front surely this is the same as going for floor standers alongside a centre instead of just bookshelf, the benefit would be a fuller sound ?
Fuller sound and a lot more musical.

Sliced Bread

I appreciate you’re all but set on the Apex system, but it might also be worth finding a demo of one of M&K’s offerings.

I’ve heard they’re pretty good and have the option for tri-pole surrounds

TRENDING THREADS