Monitor Audio Airstream S200 vs S300

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, need a bit of help/advice.

I'm planning on getting my dad a wireless speaker so he can pump his "deep house" music around the house. I've had a look around and found the Monitor Audio S200 and S300s which both look good in terms of quality and price. Have you guys any preferences on which you'd go for?

Have you any other suggestions that you'd choose over these 2? The wireless speaker needs to be capable of packing a LOT of bass.

Many thanks,

Tim

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well the S300 can certainly pack a lot of bass, but we found it could be a bit loose and overbearing at times. The other thing to note is that the S300 only has AirPlay wireless streaming (not Bluetooth), whereas the S200 has both which makes it more flexible. Depends what your Dad will be streaming his music from, but we'd probably go for the S200. You can read both reviews here:

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/airstream-s200/review

http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/airstream-s300/review

Ell d

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello!

Like Tim, I'm about to get one of the above and working from the great reports of the s200 I assumed that the s300 was essentialy a bigger and punchier version of the s200 which for £50 extra would make it an obvious choice. If the extra punch and bass comes at the expense of what makes the s200 great do you think I'm best off getting the s200?

any opinions appreciated!

thanks!

Luke

treidlia

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys

I was having the same dilemma.

I like the footprint and the quirky shape of the S200.

I've an IOS/airplay house, and am not a fan of bluetooth streaming, so the extra connectivity of the S200 wasn't a factor for me.

For me (bedroom system) the S300 seemed physcially big perhaps obtrusive? and probably over-powered at 140W.

S300 can be placed in 'ready' mode to accept a pushed airplay signal, S200 has to be turned on at the unit when you want to use it.

S300 dropped a few more euro/pounds after christmas, and s200 didn't, so the difference in cost is now almost zero ( i've seen both for £200 with online sellers)

Bass response of the S300 is tangibly better, on paper, 65 vs 80Hz at low end.

S300 has APC and remote, S200 doesn't.

SO I pushed 'go' and ordered S300, should arrive in next few days. Happy to give first impressions.

TRENDING THREADS