Modernisation

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got a couple of questions to see if there is a modern way of setting up these days. Can you burn your cd's to a storgae device at cd quality, and still get the same sound quality? Are there any wireless speakers that are good enough to challenge wired?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
In theory, correctly ripped to a lossless codec, a CD rip will sound at least as good as the original CD, all things being equal.

As for your second question, I have no idea, but the WHF team would have plenty of ideas.

Yes, you can copy your CDs and get better sound quality, if you can afford Linn DS, Naim HDX and the like. Certainly you can equal CD.

A thread like this:-

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/mp3-320-kbps-vs-flacwav

might be good reading to get a feel for the divergent views on formats beyond physical media.

Wireless speakers are rarer, but I've seen good comments on Audio Pro, though there are doubtless others. For wireless systems, which include speakers, Sonos are the mainstream leaders - look at Play:5 or Play:3, which include amps.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
jonniebag said:
Got a couple of questions to see if there is a modern way of setting up these days. Can you burn your cd's to a storgae device at cd quality, and still get the same sound quality? Are there any wireless speakers that are good enough to challenge wired?

I don’t know the specifics but when ripping a CD it can be checked against a database to make sure it is 100% accurate. Accurip does one service. Not strictly necessary but if you want reassurance.

I have no idea on the second question.

A classic setup would have an amplifier powering the speakers and sending the sound signal through a cable.

A wireless speaker would require a wireless sending device from the source for the sound, the speaker to contain a wireless receiver for the sound, the speaker to contain amplification for the sound, the speaker to either be battery powered with a big enough battery or have a power supply and cable to the socket to power the amplification.

I would be very sceptical of a system of that complexity doing an equal job of a cable and moving cone.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jonniebag said:
Copying the music from an audio-CD to another storage device like computer or networked hard disk drive (NAS) is nicknamed 'ripping'. The achievable sound quality of the copy is governed by which format you choose to save the ripped files. Broadly speaking these can be divided into three types: uncompressed files like WAV and Apple's AIFF, lossless compressed files such as FLAC and ALAC, and 'lossy' compressed files such as MP3. The potential sound quality of uncompressed copies and lossless-compressed copies will equal that of the original CD. And in fact, if the quality of your computer's playback hardware (crucially, the Digital to Analogue Convertor, or DAC) is better than that in your CD player, the 'rips' will probably sound better quality than the original CDs played in your player.

A

Anonymous

Providing you have broadband internet, and a computer running iTunes, you have the basis of a high quailty CD ripping device. Add a Sonos ZP90 and a quality stereo amplifier and pair of speakers, and good sounds should be the result. You can choose the quaility of the CD rip from a setting within iTunes - higher quality uses up more hard disk space, but with the low prices of high capacity (1TB +) drives now, that is less of a problem.

As an alternative to Sonos, Simple Audio have come up with a similar solution but using powerline technology rather than wireless - see http://simpleaudio.co.uk/

A

Anonymous

Heven'tpersonally come across any "wirelesss" speakers of note save to say that 99% of them are not truly wireless. As stated already they still need a power supply and unless battery operated come with the baggage of an ugly mains cable verses a slightly more concealable speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

Updated a couple of the components to:

Rotel RA-921 Amplifier

Marantz CD 6003

Dennon TU 260L II Tuner

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2

I also own an iPhone 4 and a Panasonic TXL37V10B, if you happen to have any nifty ideas.

A

Anonymous

Updated a couple of the components to:

Rotel RA-921 Amplifier

Marantz CD 6003

Dennon TU 260L II Tuner

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2

I also own an iPhone 4 and a Panasonic TXL37V10B, if you happen to have any nifty ideas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts