Modern Plasma TVs in Bright Rooms

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a TV for our room where one wall is literally glass. I really like the look of Plasma TVs - the colours, blacks, viewing angles and motion handling are unbeatable in my opinion however everywhere I read says that I should really go down the LCD/LED route based on the light my room gets.

So I want to ask you thoughts: is that still true that LCDs so significantly better in brightness than even the more modern Plasma TVs ? And should i get Plasmas out my head and move to LCD/LED for that room?

Thanks.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Will the TV be directly opposite the glass wall? If so, that might give me pause.

It's not always as simple as the "buy LED for a bright room and plasma for a dark room" rule of thumb suggests. High end plasmas have effective anti-reflective filters, while LED screens can be more reflective than many people acknowledge.

You didn't mention your budget, so I'm not sure if you're looking at high end models. It'd be a good idea to pop along to a large department store with a brightly lit AV department. Switching plasma TVs out of "Dynamic" mode will give you some sense of how these TVs will perform in sunlit room.

The Samsung F8500 is designed to "go as bright as LED." This is marketing rhetoric to some degree, but it might be a good compromise in your situation. It's a very good TV, too. Then there's the Panasonic GT60 and VT65. For what it's worth, the GT60 produces marginally brighter images than the VT65, though the VT65 has a slightly more effective anti-reflective filter. Again, it'd be worth comparing these models under bright shop lighting.

sae2003us

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for your message.

So my budget is around the £1500 mark (that's the higher side).

Your note sounds that plasmas may just be ok in the 'glass room' (and no its not opposite the wall).

Will follow your suggestion and head into a bright department store.

Thanks.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Paul. said:
Buy from John Lewis incase you need to change your mind ;)

Hello Paul,

Sorry to briefly hijack this thread. My signature link is out of date. It was kindly set up for me by What Hi-Fi in March last year, but since then there have been three major equipment purchases, and an expansion into a fourth room. I don't seem able to edit the equipment details of parlour, kitchen and bedroom. So, as you have a neat link in your signature which takes you to your system page, can you please tell me how to create the link? And, most importantly, I would like to be able to edit the actual equipment details when I buy more stuff.

Paul.

Hi SJ, Click on your name above your avatar, then click the tab marked edit. There will be a box marked signature which will show your "Click here to read about my system" link. To get it to show the HTML for the link, you need to click the disable rich text button.

Below is an example of the text you need, replace the italic bit with the link to your thread, then replace the bold bit with what text you want displayed in the button.

<p><a href="http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/pauls-br805-system-thread">Paul's BR/805 system thread</a></p>

Once you are finished, re-enable display rich text.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
That's very useful Paul, many thanks! I've only just had time to try your instructions, and they seem to work! I'm just waiting until Monday when I'll get the chance to take some pictures of my kit, so that I can do it all at once. Merci beaucoup! :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts