Modded Oppo 95 should be on its way soon :D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
michael hoy said:
Sorry, it is the FLAC.

I am not sure whether to go for the 93 or 95 yet, my only other choice would be the Denon 2012 but these seem to be still unavailable here.

Personally speaking I wouldnt have a denon as theyre so picky about what theyll play. The oppo truly is a class beater to my mind and will play almost anything thats thrown at it (bar the bizarre MP3 problem!)

The other alternative universal disc player is the Yamaha BD-S1067, any thoughts or experience on that? Thanks.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Sorry, it is the FLAC.

I am not sure whether to go for the 93 or 95 yet, my only other choice would be the Denon 2012 but these seem to be still unavailable here.

Just now got streaming running using TVersity

FLAC 24 bit at first was utter distortion

I then stopped any transcoding that might be going on so it fed the oppo a pure file which worked a treat. So FLAC 24 bit 96Khz streams no problem

I also tried a few movie files which worked fine :)

michael hoy

aliEnRIK said:
michael hoy said:
Sorry, it is the FLAC.

Just now got streaming running using TVersity

FLAC 24 bit at first was utter distortion

I then stopped any transcoding that might be going on so it fed the oppo a pure file which worked a treat. So FLAC 24 bit 96Khz streams no problem

I also tried a few movie files which worked fine :)

Had a similar problem before with transcoding so do not use it, what is the menu like for accessing the files.

Appreciate your time on this.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Had a similar problem before with transcoding so do not use it, what is the menu like for accessing the files.

Appreciate your time on this.

Streamings not really my thing, and I had to download TVersity so I wasnt expecting it to transcode anything

Well the only thing I dont like (but this is for anything on hardrive or disc or whatever) is you first have to select if its photo, video or music

So if your in the video selection youd have to go right back to the beginning to select music

If your in the music selection then its quite straightforward. Just browse for the correct folder. Click to play and away you go.

Downside for me is I listen to 2 channel through the dacs (tv is blank) so when I come to select other music I have to change channel on my amp so I can see it onscreen to select it. There other other ways around this problem for me but I dont want to change my setup (At least not for now)

A

Anonymous

may I add a few answers to questions here first off both 93 and 95 have multi channel analogue outputs ,albeit the 95 also has dedicated stereo analogue outs as well. The 95 benefits from a better toroidal Rotel power supply transformer and of course the 32 bit Sabre DACS, as far as I am aware video processing is identical in both machines but some say that the better ps unit in the 95 makes the video better but if i`m honest we regularly have both on demo here and I certainly do not notice any difference at all in pq which is excellent by the way. the ability to play virtually every known file format apart from mp3 (AS YET) is great, and I also know of someone who streams mp`s when he renames them. SACD, DVDA playback is default in both machines, infact i haven`t as yet known them to fall over with anything

[edited by mods - please re-read House Rules about trade members]

A

Anonymous

what are they Rik if you let Oppo UK know they will usually try to find a fix to any known issues

they really are very good with customer services

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
albriscoe said:
what are they Rik if you let Oppo UK know they will usually try to find a fix to any known issues they really are very good with customer services

well aware of that pal :)

Im not that bothered as they are odd files - I was just testing all sorts out really

Im very happy with it playing 99% (minus Mp3s) of everything

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Bit more of an update for anyone thats interested in this beast

Finally got round to trying the multi channel oluts. After a bit of a 'run in' period, the 95 is definitely better sounding through the multi outs than using my Marantz av8003 to decode (pre amp costing approx 2.5k to buy now!). The detail is astounding, voices in particular are so much easier to follow. It really does make all but the very best high end processors redundant. This is using Atlas Titan phono cables (im not going on record to say it would sound good listening through freebie cables). Still not got round to trying the balanced outputs yet

DVD scaling looked poor at first, but after a good run in is definitely far better than my other equipment

Blurays look better than through my PS3 or my S370 (Contrary to what other people might say)

Now, if they could just get this MP3 sorted..........

A

Anonymous

How about these mods for the oppo 95?? (also at a premium price) but interesting thoughts. Never seen tubes on bluray player before. Goes to my other thread on mods

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/22

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/25

http://www.audiocominternational.com/oppo-bdp95eu-p-235.html

http://www.upgradecompany.com/upgrade-company-shop-online/oppo?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=7

A question I have any idea what one can stream video wise to an Oppo say from a Nas (dnla spec)

Another

gilanii said:
How about these mods for the oppo 95?? (also at a premium price) but interesting thoughts. Never seen tubes on bluray player before. Goes to my other thread on mods

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/22

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/25

http://www.audiocominternational.com/oppo-bdp95eu-p-235.html

http://www.upgradecompany.com/upgrade-company-shop-online/oppo?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=7

A question I have any idea what one can stream video wise to an Oppo say from a Nas (dnla spec)

Another

There's never going to be an end to all these "upgrades"! The Oppo 95 is already an upgraded 93.

Oppo 95 has already received a 'reference status' in one of the reviews. How much better do you want it to get?

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if there is a majore difference or not, never heard one myself or seen one in the hifi shows (either that or not been clued into such previously)

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if there is a majore difference or not, never heard one myself or seen one in the hifi shows (either that or not been clued into such previously)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I am now using OPPO 83 NUForce Edition and very happy with the 2 channel output.

I have no chance to compare my 83NE with 95EU but some review said both are very similar on stereo output but 95EU sounds more tube like and should be better when listening to vocals.

I will change my player to 95EU only if there is a hugh difference and I think at the moment I will live with my 83NE for some time.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
WHF has just released its review on OPPO 93EU (just having 4 Stars). I am looking forward to a similar review on 95EU which is claimed to be a high ended product before making up my mind if I will upgrade my OPPO 83NE to this new model.

I wonder if aliEnRIK has further updates with his 95EU.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Inter_Voice said:
I wonder if aliEnRIK has further updates with his 95EU.

What would you like to know pal?

Well, just wanted to know whether you have found something that falls short of your expectation.
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK said:
Bit more of an update for anyone thats interested in this beast

Finally got round to trying the multi channel oluts. After a bit of a 'run in' period, the 95 is definitely better sounding through the multi outs than using my Marantz av8003 to decode (pre amp costing approx 2.5k to buy now!). The detail is astounding, voices in particular are so much easier to follow. It really does make all but the very best high end processors redundant. This is using Atlas Titan phono cables (im not going on record to say it would sound good listening through freebie cables). Still not got round to trying the balanced outputs yet

DVD scaling looked poor at first, but after a good run in is definitely far better than my other equipment

Blurays look better than through my PS3 or my S370 (Contrary to what other people might say)

Now, if they could just get this MP3 sorted..........
do you even understand anything about what happens when a componant upscales sd to a hd screen rik?

it basically uses an algorithm to work out (guess, if you will) how to stretch the image to the higher resolution screen, be it 720p or 1080p, the algorithm is not organic, it's not able to think for itself, it doesn't learn, it cannot improve, it.... you getting my drift?

your enthusiasm has gotten the better of you once again rik, or your interpretation of what a poor picture and a good picture is changes over time, because your oppos upscaling prowess simply can't, it's not possible, it couldn't happen..

or maybe i just don't know what i'm talking about again :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
the algorithm is not organic, it's not able to think for itself, it doesn't learn, it cannot improve, it....

can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead?

you getting my drift?

Oh. I prefer my version...

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
maxflinn said:
the algorithm is not organic, it's not able to think for itself, it doesn't learn, it cannot improve, it....

can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead?

you getting my drift?

Oh. I prefer my version...
very good :)

A

Anonymous

what rik has proven by that statement is that

a) his eyesight is poor

b) his interpretation of what a good picture is is poor

c) he want's to believe his oppos upscaling has improved

d) he needs to believe it's improved

e) a combination of the above

see an algorithm is a complex mathematical equation, now 4 times 4 is also a mathematical equation, albeit less complex.

but no matter how long you burn in 4 times 4 it's still going to be 16

just 16

not 16 with better blacks, smoother motion or more bass, just 16

the oppos scaling is a mathematical equation, it can't improve, just like 16 can't improve.

in a court of law a proffesor would explain that..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
what rik has proven by that statement is that

a) his eyesight is poor

b) his interpretation of what a good picture is is poor

c) he want's to believe his oppos upscaling has improved

d) he needs to believe it's improved

e) a combination of the above

max,

Not sure whether you plan to get locked every thread in which you get involved, but please do not insult fellow forum members. Final warning

TRENDING THREADS