Is There a Floor in My Plans?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
This might begin to read like an 'Off Topic/Misc' thread, but bear with me. :)

After 17 years of putting off the evil day we finally jumped in and rid our living room of the rather disreputable carpet we inherited with the house. Enjoying the occasional party and having various small furry critters running amok (not to mention the perceived logistics involved) had meant that we kept putting it off and putting it off. However, we had to face it, the wretched thing needed to go.

So, what have we replaced it with? Yep, the ever popular poor man’s floor boards, ‘antique oak’ to be precise. It took one man just 4hrs to do the job. It probably would have taken us days! I have to admit that with the majority of the furnishings back in place it all looks very nice – almost as if it has always been there – it looks right. It fits in just nicely.

Or does it? What about those room acoustics? We soon noticed an extra reverb to the sound in the room. On Saturday night there were six of us enjoying a sociable evening and I must admit that on occasion I was finding it difficult to catch what was being said if there was more than one conversation going on. This bodes ill for the upcoming experimentation with new hi-fi equipment.

Typically, as my luck runs, with the OH away from tomorrow through to Friday, I had planned some auditioning during the evenings of Tuesday to Thursday. Once the purchase and installation of the new flooring became a reality (it was pretty much an impulse buy, brought on by a free fitting offer – yeah, that old chestnut) it was ‘agreed’ that this weekend just past was the ideal opportunity for the fitting. “You can put your hi-fi and other bits back in while I’m out of your way for a few days”.

Fortunately, with the fitter taking just half a day to finish the job, and Herself deciding to take an afternoon snooze (watching all that hard work tired her out), I managed to get a wiggle on and by the time our friends came round that evening to view the new installation, 90% of the room was back to normality. We even had music from the fully operational hi-fi…albeit at convivial conversation friendly levels.

But as to how it will sound when I crank the volume up to proper listening levels, that’s the concern. Admittedly, on Sunday morning I had a quick listen, but I cannot say one way or the other what the acoustic effect really is. That will have to wait for Wednesday evening – when all the new boxes of delights have arrived; which, of course, means I will be coping with new kit and new room acoustics, both.

Yet that may not be a bad thing. If I am listening to my existing set-up under slightly changed conditions, it won’t have the comfortable familiarity that can possibly prevent you listening to it critically. Everything will be on an equal footing, arguably. Maybe those harsh veneer surfaces will be just the kind of test environment to sort the ‘men from the boys’ as it were.

Watch this (floor) space…

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Similar experience recently when we ripped the carpet up in our living room and have sanded the boards. Yet to put the curtains back up (!) but heavy curtains behind the listening position and a large rug deaden 2 of the worst reflection points. The sound is definitely a bit more 'lively' but this is actually a benefit with an AV setup. So rugs and other soft furnishings should pull it back a bit, then you'll probably adjust to the new sound within a few weeks. Consider acoustic panels if more needs to be done.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
As daft as it may seem, I might experiment with something as simple as bringing a double duvet downstairs at some point to act as a rug subsitute. In fact, we did briefly discuss the possibility of getting a central rug to deaden the sound a touch, but a quick look at a few online sites led us to the conclusion that maybe we need to leave it a while:

a) There are some foul creations out there!

b) Let's just see whether we get used to the sound.

Acoustic panels? You gotta be joking! The closest we'll get is Herself being persuaded to hang one of her hand-made quilts on the wall again.
smiley-wink.gif

Ah, Shooter, I knew someone would bite.
smiley-laughing.gif
If all goes well, I should be auditioning a Naim Uniti (possibly the new version) against the vorsprungdurchteknik of the T+A Music receiver that some so-and-so recommended I try. Oh, and also the Audiolab M-DAC will be in the mix. I just need to get that whole networking malarkey sorted in the meantime. Wish me luck.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
We had the same reaction as you to most rugs online. Eventually trawled through ebay where we found something mutually acceptable and for a good price.

When I said acoustic panels I meant art masquerading as acoustic panels, like I've used in my hifi system. Home made soft furnishings should also do a decent job!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
smiley-laughing.gif
If all goes well, I should be auditioning a Naim Uniti (possibly the new version) against the vorsprungdurchteknik of the T+A Music receiver that some so-and-so recommended I try. Oh, and also the Audiolab M-DAC will be in the mix. I just need to get that whole networking malarkey sorted in the meantime. Wish me luck.

Brill, this should be really interesting, lots a permutations to the end result and some really nice gear there, the 3 should give you differing results and i hope all positive, makes it even harder to decide :)

I'm envious, it should be really good, good luck.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
shooter said:
ESP2009 said:
smiley-laughing.gif

Brill, this should be really interesting, lots a permutations to the end result and some really nice gear there, the 3 should give you differing results and i hope all positive, makes it even harder to decide :)

I'm envious, it should be really good, good luck.

Thanks - I might even keep you lot informed if I'm feeling charitable by the end of the process. :evil:

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
We had the same reaction as you to most rugs online. Eventually trawled through ebay where we found something mutually acceptable and for a good price.

When I said acoustic panels I meant art masquerading as acoustic panels, like I've used in my hifi system. Home made soft furnishings should also do a decent job!

:) Nah, what I have is even better: an ever-changing pattern of five roving ferrets - suitably furry and soft (apart from the sharp, pointy teeth...and claws!) :grin:

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I will be sure to keep you all posted. I'll probably do a split of topics - one for the room acoustics and one for the streamer saga.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
It always makes me larf when I see those hifi ads showing a room with a wooden floor, wall to ceiling windows and no furniture! Carpets, curtains, upholstered furniture, hanging tapestries, the more the merrier I say.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi ESP, I'm not sure I should go into the detail of what happened to the sound, when I put in a Laminate floor - needless to say, the carpet has made a welcome return, and euphony has re-emerged.

I wish you better luck - can you use the ferrits as mobile bass traps?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
:) Nah, what I have is even better: an ever-changing pattern of five roving ferrets - suitably furry and soft (apart from the sharp, pointy teeth...and claws!) :grin:

Haha, have an amazing image of ferrets being used in place of rugs and curtains now, for the sound benefits. Wonder if my other half will swallow that one lol

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Believe me, ferrets on a veneer floor are anything but quiet. Particularly if there are five rampaging round.

Fortunately, we do have two large comfy sofas and various features of the room to break up the sound a little. Of course, I will take a look at the link for more serious edification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts