Modded Oppo 95 should be on its way soon :D

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

sorry andrew, i wasn't trying to be insulting, just trying to figure out how rik arrived at his assumption..

my apologies rik...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
what rik has proven by that statement is that

a) his eyesight is poor

b) his interpretation of what a good picture is is poor

c) he want's to believe his oppos upscaling has improved

d) he needs to believe it's improved

e) a combination of the above

see an algorithm is a complex mathematical equation, now 4 times 4 is also a mathematical equation, albeit less complex.

but no matter how long you burn in 4 times 4 it's still going to be 16

just 16

not 16 with better blacks, smoother motion or more bass, just 16

the oppos scaling is a mathematical equation, it can't improve, just like 16 can't improve.

in a court of law a proffesor would explain that..
Although I have some sympathy with your suggestion that the upscalling in itself does not improve over time, I am not very happy with your definition of algorithm (and I write them) Wiki's

In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm (i /ˈælɡərɪðəm/) is an effective method expressed as a finite list[1] of well-defined instructions[2] for calculating a function.[3] Algorithms are used for calculation, data processing, and automated reasoning.

Is better than I could do. Algorithms often have no mathematical equations in them at all.

A

Anonymous

hammill said:
maxflinn said:
what rik has proven by that statement is that

a) his eyesight is poor

b) his interpretation of what a good picture is is poor

c) he want's to believe his oppos upscaling has improved

d) he needs to believe it's improved

e) a combination of the above

see an algorithm is a complex mathematical equation, now 4 times 4 is also a mathematical equation, albeit less complex.

but no matter how long you burn in 4 times 4 it's still going to be 16

just 16

not 16 with better blacks, smoother motion or more bass, just 16

the oppos scaling is a mathematical equation, it can't improve, just like 16 can't improve.

in a court of law a proffesor would explain that..
Although I have some sympathy with your suggestion that the upscalling in itself does not improve over time, I am not very happy with your definition of algorithm (and I write them) Wiki's

In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm (i /ˈælɡərɪðəm/) is an effective method expressed as a finite list[1] of well-defined instructions[2] for calculating a function.[3] Algorithms are used for calculation, data processing, and automated reasoning.

Is better than I could do. Algorithms often have no mathematical equations in them at all.
ok i'm not up on my algorithms, obviously :)

though i don't believe they are intelligent, and even if they somehow were, how would they know when the upscaling they were designed to do could be bettered? and what could they do to improve it?

mathematics do play a big role in electrical componants, but mathematics don't burn in, hence my surprise at the suggestion of improved upscaling..

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Whereas of late you seem determined to cause trouble wherever you can.
it must seem that way, though i'm not, i guess i just get frustrated at not being able to debate certain things, threads often can't develop like they used to, while it's probably difficult to marshal i think the good debates (sometimes a little heated) are (were?) the best thing about the forum...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Like I said Max, "I have some sympathy with your suggestion that the upscaling in itself does not improve over time"

A computer program can learn - a lot of natural language recognition research is based on this premise, but I agree that it would be hard to imagine upscaling code doing so.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn said:
it must seem that way, though i'm not, i guess i just get frustrated at not being able to debate certain things, threads often can't develop like they used to, while it's probably difficult to marshal i think the good debates (sometimes a little heated) are (were?) the best thing about the forum...

No, they are a strength here, but there's a difference between debating and just laying down a statement of supposed fact in a confrontational manner, and then belittling those who choose to challenge you on your statements.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:

No, they are a strength here, but there's a difference between debating and just laying down a statement of supposed fact in a confrontational manner, and then belittling those who choose to challenge you on your statements.
fair point andrew, i'll word things more carefully in future.

though it has to be said that a few (who i won't name but one is obvious) do exactly that over and over..

anyways, i'm off to the gym :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:

fair point andrew, i'll word things more carefully in future.

though it has to be said that a few (who i won't name but one is obvious) do exactly that over and over..

What a lot of people need to do is provide some evidence to back up their assertions, rather than just making de facto statements that can pretty rapidly be shown to be incorrect.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
What makes me smile is the fact the the poster has said that his oppo 95 is far better then his sony ps3 or sony blu-ray player,well it should be for a player costing £900.00 +.You can't compare a product that cost's a few hundred pounds to something that cost's nearly a grand.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre said:
What makes me smile is the fact the the poster has said that his oppo 95 is far better then his sony ps3 or sony blu-ray player,well it should be for a player costing £900.00 +.You can't compare a product that cost's a few hundred pounds to something that cost's nearly a grand.

I stated that because it was claimed that all bluray players should play blurays exactly the same.

ie - there is no difference

As my thread I posted yesterday stated - this is not the case. However, regardless of price (Which is what youve referred to, and might I add the 93 is 500 quid or less which has the EXACT same video architecture), if what was read off a disc was sent exactly as it should, then all players would look the same via HDMI. Theres no reason why they shouldnt - save using poor processing hardware.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn said:
sorry andrew, i wasn't trying to be insulting, just trying to figure out how rik arrived at his assumption..

my apologies rik...

You must think im stupid if your trying to claim you were not being insulting.

Apology 'never' accepted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts