MM to MC, plus new Chord phono stage - upgrade or foolhardy?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I love my Chord DAC, and I'm feeling slightly underwhelmed by my turntable's current performance* when it's up against anything digital. Putting these two seemingly unrelated thoughts together has got me lusting after the new Chord phono stage. Noticing it seems to take only moving coil carts, would I benefit hugely from such a move? Does anyone have any thoughts? * it's my new speakers fault. Previously things were pretty evenly matched between analogue and digital, but now that's not the case and I'm missing my vinyl.

A

Anonymous

I've just moved to a Denon DL103 phono cartridge which is a low output MC. Certainly notice more air and depth to the music. However, I made the mistake of buying a cheap mc phono stage (Cambridge 640p) which manages to rob the life out of the music.

In other words, what you suggest about going for a decent phono stage as well as moving to MC is a good idea indeed. Which MC were you considering?

A

Anonymous

I'll be exploring the Dynavectors next, probably the 10x5. Excellent reputation.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tarquinh:
I've just moved to a Denon DL103 phono cartridge which is a low output MC. Certainly notice more air and depth to the music. However, I made the mistake of buying a cheap mc phono stage (Cambridge 640p) which manages to rob the life out of the music.

In other words, what you suggest about going for a decent phono stage as well as moving to MC is a good idea indeed. Which MC were you considering?

The Chord is the item to blame....it's a damn good dac mated to a good transport.The Roksan doesn't stand a chance against a couple of grands worth of Chord!. Certainly improving your MF phono stage will help. I agree with Tarquinh, I've got a CA640p and fine with budget stuff it may be but once you move up the food chain it shows it's weaknesses and the same could be said for the MF but to a lesser degree. The Denon 103 is a fine starter MC but if you can stretch to the 103R then you really will be in smiley face territory
emotion-2.gif
At the end of the day only a change in turntable will bring 'Chord killing' changes, but that's not to knock the Roksan.

A

Anonymous

Mitch65, I think you have the turntable solution listed in your equipment...

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Ahh... but that brings it's own problems (if you can call them that). I've only recently upgraded from a Rega P3-24 to the LP12 and I've already bought a new arm and have my eye on a top line MC in need of a rebuild - so it's relatively cheap!. But you are right, the only real limitations are my budget and me.

Hi,

Can understand your lusting after Chord 'phono stage but may be a bit of overkill. With your Roksan I could suggest a move to Denon DL-103R cartridge with Trichord Dino phono stage would be a good move. The Dino would let you experiment with moving magnet cartridges as well should you so desire.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I'm using a Dynavector p-75, they are around the £550 mark. I bought ex-demo but cant remember what i paid for sure, somewhere around £400.
It trounces a Benz Lukaschek (£1100) which i have and don't use because the P75 is so good.
My turntable is a VPI SSM with a Dynavector XX2-MK2 cart and the P75 holds its own, no problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts