Question MM over MC

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have been using Ortofon bronze and black with a raga pre amp for 5 years my question is would there be a improvement in sound quality if I use a raga fono mc mk4 with a budget MC cartridge.

Hi everyone,

I have been using Ortofon bronze and black with a raga pre amp for 5 years my question is would there be a improvement in sound quality if I use a raga fono mc mk4 with a budget MC cartridge.
What turntable and amplifier do you use?

Usually I would agree with @Al ears I would suggest MM are every bit as good as MCs but if your system is more high end it's possibly worth exploring.

What turntable and amplifier do you use?

Usually I would agree with @Al ears I would suggest MM are every bit as good as MCs but if your system is more high end it's possibly worth exploring.
I think that might depend on the word 'budget ' before MC.
If you damage an MC cartridge it's bin it and buy another, unlike MMs, so if on a budget avoid cheap MCs

Reactions: WayneKerr

manicm

MC can be a real improvement over MM, but the rest of your system must be in sync. DAVE STAR did not state which turntable he has.

A good MC will show up a budget turntable/phono pre-amp/amplifier as weak, and reveal sonic idiosyncrasies.

If the rest of the system i.e. turntable and amp don't warrant it, then no. But if there's a budget MC cartridge, then why not try it out? It's only hifi after all.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Just to confuse matters there are high output MCs that you can use with a MM phono stage. I run a Hana SH into a Roksan K2 and it sounds terrific. Whether it's the Shibata, the MC bit or the lovely phono stage I don't know and don't have the budget to experiment to find out.

This is a problem with carts isn't it? When mine, which gives me a sound that I still find an absolute joy, wears out, am I really going to risk a half grand on something else just to test it? The chance that a dealer will have something to emulate my setup (Linn Axis and Monitor Audio Studio 20SE complete the kit) is precisely zero. So one would be asking for a home trial for something pretty fragile and 'perishable'. Like for like it is, then.

Hi , Thanks for your answers to my question, that has made my mind up.
Just to let you know my equipment is a Technics 1500c, Rega mm pre amp, Yamaha A-S301 amp and Q acoustics 3050 speakers.
Regards Dave.
No, it’s not really worth it as your system is well balanced with the 2M Bronze being a very decent cartridge.

However, without the expense of a new phono stage you can try the flavour of an MC, from one of the world’s most famous cartridge makers, Denon. Their DL-110 is a high output MC you can use into your MM Rega pre.

It is lower output than your Ortofon, about 1/3rd as much, but unless your volume control is already at 2 o’clock, you should have enough gain. It’s no more costly than your Bronze. It’s a compromise, but nevertheless if you’re itching to change, it’s well worth considering.

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Just to confuse matters there are high output MCs that you can use with a MM phono stage. I run a Hana SH into a Roksan K2 and it sounds terrific. Whether it's the Shibata, the MC bit or the lovely phono stage I don't know and don't have the budget to experiment to find out.

This is a problem with carts isn't it? When mine, which gives me a sound that I still find an absolute joy, wears out, am I really going to risk a half grand on something else just to test it? The chance that a dealer will have something to emulate my setup (Linn Axis and Monitor Audio Studio 20SE complete the kit) is precisely zero. So one would be asking for a home trial for something pretty fragile and 'perishable'. Like for like it is, then.
Hi, Your so right, stylus and carts are so expensive not everyone can experiment with them.
I think I should just enjoy what I've always used and spend the money on more vinyl.
Many thanks Dave.

Reactions: good_enough

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
No, it’s not really worth it as your system is well balanced with the 2M Bronze being a very decent cartridge.

However, without the expense of a new phono stage you can try the flavour of an MC, from one of the world’s most famous cartridge makers, Denon. Their DL-110 is a high output MC you can use into your MM Rega pre.

It is lower output than your Ortofon, about 1/3rd as much, but unless your volume control is already at 2 o’clock, you should have enough gain. It’s no more costly than your Bronze. It’s a compromise, but nevertheless if you’re itching to change, it’s well worth considering.

Hi, Thanks for that info and link that is worth thinking about.
Many thanks Dave

manicm

Hi , Thanks for your answers to my question, that has made my mind up.
Just to let you know my equipment is a Technics 1500c, Rega mm pre amp, Yamaha A-S301 amp and Q acoustics 3050 speakers.
Regards Dave.

Were you thinking of getting the Rega Fono MC Mk4, or do you have it already?

I'd say if you're on a significant upgrade path and you do get the Fono MC, then get a good MC cartridge, otherwise try the Denon NoPiano suggested in your current system.

Your Technics turntable is great, and will improve as you want to upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

Whilst I would agree that, at around £200, the Denon DL110 can be considered to be a budget MC but would it be better than his Ortofons?
I doubt it, however presentation will be different.

Whilst I would agree that, at around £200, the Denon DL110 can be considered to be a budget MC but would it be better than his Ortofons?
I doubt it, however presentation will be different.
Possibly not better, and objectively probably less good at tracking, but it might give a hint of that MC flavour. Hard to describe, and different with each brand, but maybe a bit richer and more atmospheric.

Even as I’ve typed those words, I’m not sure they make much sense!

Reactions: Al ears
Keep the 2M Bronze/Black fit KIT1 upgrades to the 1500c
or upgrade to new SL1200GR2

View attachment 5354
Do you use this Funk Firm kit yourself? It always strikes me as looking a bit flaky, but it might be terrific.

Reactions: Al ears

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Do you use this Funk Firm kit yourself? It always strikes me as looking a bit flaky, but it might be terrific.
I tried an achromat (thinner version so I didn't change VTA) and it sounded a great deal worse than the standard felt on my Linn Axis. Muddied the bass, big-time. Compared side by side using cans and speakers and junked it after a half dozen sides. Hopeless.

YMMV as they put it.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS