Mission's 778 series CD transport and music streamer could be half-width hi-fi heroes

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I agree with the “relatively refreshingly sensible £549/$549 price tag” comment. It must be one of the very few separates to not be trying to wring larger margins from every unit sold. I paid £129 for this amp’s spiritual predecessor, the Mission Cyrus One, in 1983 which, according to the Bank of England calculator, is £422 in today’s money. That seems fair to me.

Sigyns

May 10, 2024
Visit site
I agree with the “relatively refreshingly sensible £549/$549 price tag” comment. It must be one of the very few separates to not be trying to wring larger margins from every unit sold. I paid £129 for this amp’s spiritual predecessor, the Mission Cyrus One, in 1983 which, according to the Bank of England calculator, is £422 in today’s money. That seems fair to me.
Someone who clearly doesn't understand economics (I have a Masters in Applied Economics) or what actually the Bank of England's calculator compares. It simply compounds the annual average CPI. It doesn't take into account the relative purchasing power of money, nor the cost of production, distribution, marketing etc; nor retail costs for dealers, which have risen hugely in recent years (largely rent increases, and Business Rates) at the expense of margin - staple retailers' average margin has nearly halved. It is not at all a fair way to compare pricing of products over time using a CPI compound calculation. However, having spent the past couple of days in Munich (yesterday attending an industry only day), these Mission products look to be one of the stars of the show (they were not playable), together with other British (at least erstwhile British) products Arcam's SA35 and SA45, and the extraordinary (and very much British) Chord Suzi pre and power amp.

Last edited:

JamesDK

May 7, 2021
Visit site
Someone who clearly doesn't economics (I have a Masters in Applied Economics) or what actually the Bank of England's calculator compares. It simply compounds the annual average CPI. It doesn't take into account the relative purchasing power of money, nor the cost of production, distribution, marketing etc; nor retail costs for dealers, which have risen hugely in recent years (largely rent increases, and Business Rates) at the expense of margin - staple retailers' average margin has nearly halved. It is not at all a fair way to compare pricing of products over time using a CPI compound calculation. However, having spent the past couple of days in Munich (yesterday attending an industry only day), these Mission products look to be one of the stays of the show (they were not playable), together with other British (at least erstwhile British) products Arcam's SA35 and SA45, and the extraordinary (and very much British) Chord Suzi pre and power amp.

Jasonovich

"Who says affordable hi-fi separates are dead?"

You did! What HiFi had an article saying exactly that (talking about amps) about six months ago.
Was it the same contributor? Still, regardless they should fact check. Politicians are prone to cross talk, essentially it's the art of making the hole deeper (yes I've been there!), it seems publications are not immune either.
Well spotted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts