mission speaker drivers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Need some help foks.

I have a pair of mission e82 floorstanders and the lower(bass) drivers on one of them have just died. Cant really determine which or how many though, just sound really thin and tinny on my right side with no bass.just over 3 year old so warranty up-bummer.

Any way of deternining which ones are dead?

Any body have any idea on my options,that is do i send the ****** back to mission and pay to get them replaced or could i get new drivers and replace them myself....If so how difficult would this be?

Again,anybody any idea on cost of doing this and has any body else had the same problem?-i dont work them hard so very disapointed a pair of 1800 quid speakers would only last for just over 3 years.

Thanks for any help,cheers.

T

the record spot

Contact Mission directly; they're based in Cambridgeshire and will accept your request. I had a new terminal sent out last year which I fitted myself (this was for my 733i's which are ten year old floorstanders). I suspect there may be a charge for your driver, so they might want to see it to estimate the cost, or ask you to take to a nearby dealer.

Either way, you should expect them to help you out. Haven't got the address to hand for their email, but it's on their site.

A

Anonymous

Not sure which you have as the price and model number dont match? So seeing whats actually broke is beyond me.

Parts can prpbably come from any of the E range. Ebay have them crop up quite ofton. I have a pair of tweeters infact for the car. Just £10. The chap has many spares go through his hands. Mission themselfs will probably ask £40 a unit. Everyone always seems to ask £40 for spares, like its a standard price.

Sliced Bread

Sorry if this is a bit late, but I have had the mid drivers replaced on my Mission 782's, 78c and 780's! To determine which ones are fault I play some music with repetative beat and a reasonable volume and very gently touch the cones with my figner tips. It become obvious very quickly which ones are not working. Mission customer service is excellent so they will be very helpful. (especially with there standard 5 year guarantee)!

A

Anonymous

thermopyle:i dont work them hard so very disapointed a pair of 1800 quid speakers would only last for just over 3 years.

I work my little Mission E30s very hard with all sorts of amps - 100wpc Arcam A32, 100wpc JVC A-X5, 70wpc JVC A-X400, 2wpc JVC mini-system, car hi-fi, sony receiver, Leak Stereo 20...you name it, they've been driven by it - No problems what so ever! Mission make some cracking speakers in my opinion that really let my sort of music (rock, jazz, pop) sing...

It's a shame about your E82s...nice speakers they are, and a shame they've bitten the dust - however, check the connections (especially if you bi-wire) and check which drivers have popped by sticking your head next to them with some fairly loud music - then again, the crossover may have gone or your amp may have given up the ghost.

Hope they get better soon!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Are you feeling brave?

Use the fingertip test as described earlier to determine which drivers are not working. If all 4 bass units are not working the chances are that you have a crossover problem. If some of them are still working you've probably killed the non working ones.

If you still have some warranty ignore the following, just get it sorted by your dealer.

If some of the bass units still work.
Unscrew the non working units. Don't let the screwdriver go through the cone. Remember there are magnets there that will attract the screwdriver.
Remove the wires from the speaker, noting their polarity (+/-). This will probably involve a soldering iron but some speaker wires are clamped into place with a press spring. Speaker soldering is comparatively easy so long as you are careful. It's not like doing tiny miniaturised components.
Take a 1.5V battery and attach 2 small lengths of wire to it, one to +ve one to -ve. Then touch the other 2 ends to the speaker terminals. If it's working you'll hear a click. If this works I'd guess the crossover is at fault.

If you don't hear a click try attaching the wires as close to where the 2 wires go into the speaker cone as possible. If it works now there's a fair chance that there is a dry joint at the speaker terminals. Resoldering should fix it.

If you still get no sound chances are the speaker coil is fried. If you can unscrew the back of the dead unit you might be in luck and only need to replace the diaphragm (the bit with coil on). Otherwise a replacement unit will be needed.

You can test a suspected crossover problem by attaching a known to be working speaker (any bass or mid will do) in place of your Mission units and playing music quietly. if the known to be working speaker is silent you do have a crossover problem or a loose/dry wire attachment at the crossover end.

I know nothing about electronics and can offer no help with working out which crossover component has failed. They're generally simple to remove and replace wholesale though.

If you can do this it might save you a fair bit in postasge and labour costs.

It's not too daunting really. I'd welcome comments from others on the wisdom of doing your own fault finding on a pair of such expensive speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts