Mission returning....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

I'm getting on, but I never heard the original version. It sounds like these will potentially give studio monitor accuracy and detail etc. I'm not sure they are worth 3 and a half grand, even with the stands and gloves, but I bet they sound superb, in the right conditions. I suspect every part is brand new and not using parts, from current bins etc. The tooling and production costs, must be high, for a new range and of course, UK made, will cost more than made in China. I'd buy a pair, if I had a larger room and deeper pockets. Way out of my price bracket.
Hi,
I designed my own transmission line speakers. I used freeCAD (Linux) to generate the design drawings, sent off to the woodworks for CNC MDF cutting, costing £250 including the MDF (25mm). The drivers (3 way) and the CNC cut MDF cost £1,030 in total.

I have seen a forum post (PFM) where someone was rather angry that their PMC speakers costing in excess of £2k had £25 tweeters (reportedly).

If you have some skill in gluing, then it is quite easy to create your own speakers, where the cost is vastly lower than commercial. As such, you could obtain such speakers for a fraction of the commercial cost.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

I admire your willingness and ability, to make your own, but it's not a practical option, for me. I've never been good at carpentry. I'm sure the parts are fairly cheap to buy, but I'm not sure I could build a pair of speakers, where the panels are rigid and free from vibrations. Seamlessly integrating the crossover and drivers and gluing this stuff together, seems very daunting. I've watched videos of B&W speaker production lines and I now realise why they cost so much. Getting the tolerances right and testing in anechoic rooms, does give you a great product. Even if I could get all the parts, for a common speaker, say from PMC, or B&W, I doubt the end result would be anything close to their product. My QA3030i and stands costs less than £450 and they have a 5 year warranty. They do sound solid and free from coloration and distortions. I wouldn't know where to start, with this design. I guess I will have to pay retail, for my future speakers. I know there's a massive mark up on speakers and I do sometimes question the price tag and wonder how they can justify it. The Spendor A4 was on my shortlist, last year, but they are nearly £2500 and it's just wood and drivers etc. When I see pictures of these speakers taken apart, I am amazed how little goes into them.
Hi,
There is a DIY site :
Everything in the design is done for you, including the crossover. All that is needed is the CNC milling by the relevant wood works, and then construction by yourself- just gluing.

I get it that most people will not go this route, but a lot of the work is done for you if you should ever want to try,

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: podknocker
Peter C. made the point that people buy with their eyes now. (They always have though).

I like the look, maybe the white is a bit much compared to the old model, but you can always grille-up as many do, in which case they look like a traditional box.

Real shame about the price, but they'll still sell plenty.

Years ago, Rayleigh Hi-fi arranged a factory visit to Cyrus / Mission. It was a very impressive place. Seems like they're trying to get back to that....at least for the premium stuff.
I sincerely think these have been priced for a market that isn't the European one....

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
There is a DIY site :
Everything in the design is done for you, including the crossover. All that is needed is the CNC milling by the relevant wood works, and then construction by yourself- just gluing.

I get it that most people will not go this route, but a lot of the work is done for you if you should ever want to try,

Regards,
Shadders.
Wilmslow Audio sell kits of loudspeaker heroes of the past in various levels of finish. I was interested in the Heybrook HB1 kit. Perhaps some day

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

I've made loads of speakers and, if I say so myself, they were really quite good - every pair was bought by somebody. If you bought Monitor Audio in the early 2000's, there's a chance I might have made yours.
I actually 'made' nothing. Working at the MA factory, I took perfectly finished cabinets, filled them with bits, then tested them. Too easy🙂.

Really wish we could choose our manufacturer and have them send us the parts of our preferred model, at least saving ourselves some labour costs.
Assembling them is very much the easy bit.

Last edited:

podknocker

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9BJn0lMxI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIkEbu8XyKg

Really interesting, hearing the technical aspects of the production process and how Harbeth and Mission have different opinions of polypropylene. My old KEFs used this stuff and I loved the sound. I often wonder why only KEF and Tannoy have used a dual concentric design, to give better dispersion etc. Is it a patent thing, or is it just very expensive, to put the tweeter in the throat of a bass/mid driver?

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Peter C. made the point that people buy with their eyes now. (They always have though).

I like the look, maybe the white is a bit much compared to the old model, but you can always grille-up as many do, in which case they look like a traditional box.

Real shame about the price, but they'll still sell plenty.

Years ago, Rayleigh Hi-fi arranged a factory visit to Cyrus / Mission. It was a very impressive place. Seems like they're trying to get back to that....at least for the premium stuff.
The Rega factory is near Raleigh, Essex so very local

Tinman1952

I've made loads of speakers and, if I say so myself, they were really quite good - every pair was bought by somebody. If you bought Monitor Audio in the early 2000's, there's a chance I might have made yours.
I actually 'made' nothing. Working at the MA factory, I took perfectly finished cabinets, filled them with bits, then tested them. Too easy🙂.

Really wish we could choose our manufacturer and have them send us the parts of our preferred model, at least saving ourselves some labour costs.
Interesting! I bought my MA Silver S6s in 2003 so you probably did mine too. I think I like them even more now.......🙂

Reactions: Gray

What a cool job to have

Gray

What a cool job to have
Actually PP, I didn't think so. I expected the role to be more QC biased than it was.
You need to be a special type to do 'production line' work - and I'm not that type.
Pretty sure they'll have many more staff working a lot harder these days👍

My definition of a good job is one where you would actively choose to go there on a day off.
I've had a couple of those....a subject for best/ worst jobs thread some other time.

Actually PP, I didn't think so. I expected the role to be more QC biased than it was.
You need to be a special type to do 'production line' work - and I'm not that type.
Pretty sure they'll have many more staff working a lot harder these days👍

My definition of a good job is one where you would actively choose to go there on a day off.
I've had a couple of those....a subject for best/ worst jobs thread some other time.
Fair play. I wouldn't mind doing it for a couple of months though.

mike63

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
It was all going so well, till I got to the price. 😮
Same here. Along my audio journey, I've had quite few Missions in my set up at one time or another and the last of which were the 751s - beautiful bookshelf speakers - sounded and looked great. I didnt quite expect the 3,500 price tag.

Gray

I didnt quite expect the 3,500 price tag.
On the 3 hi-fi forums that I read, unsurprisingly, the price has attracted many negative comments.
It's obvious that so many more people would buy these at a more realistic price.
But, like I've said, that won't bother IAG - they'll sell all they need to.
(I like to think they read all these comments - you never know, they might start to give a sh*t 🤪).

Reactions: mike63

podknocker

A Mk2 version of the Mission 751 Freedom in cherry finish please, if IAG are watching. Seen a pair online, sold for £37 and I would love a pair for that. I bet they'd sound as good as my QA speakers. Not a great deal has changed in speakers, over the last 30 years. A few better spec parts in the crossovers and new materials, but there are decades old Mission speakers out there, standing up to new models, sonically and visually. A nice, small, bright and breezy sounding model, with that lovely 'bounce' and energy and with an open midrange and presence, that I remember from the older Missions. I would like specially made stands for these also, that allow the speakers to be screwed in. Mass load them and have no wobble, or ringing etc. A nice solid and detailed sound, that gets away from the current focus on safe, soft and warm sounding modern speakers. I keep reading reviews where they say 'they have a full, rich, warm bass' etc. I don't want that. Give me some top end and detail, for modern recordings and formats!

Last edited:
A Mk2 version of the Mission 751 Freedom in cherry finish please, if IAG are watching. Seen a pair online, sold for £37 and I would love a pair for that. I bet they'd sound as good as my QA speakers. Not a great deal has changed in speakers, over the last 30 years. A few better spec parts in the crossovers and new materials, but there are decades old Mission speakers out there, standing up to new models, sonically and visually. A nice, small, bright and breezy sounding model, with that lovely 'bounce' and energy and with an open midrange and presence, that I remember from the older Missions. I would like specially made stands for these also, that allow the speakers to be screwed in. Mass load them and have no wobble, or ringing etc. A nice solid and detailed sound, that gets away from the current focus on safe, soft and warm sounding modern speakers. I keep reading reviews where they say 'they have a full, rich, warm bass' etc. I don't want that. Give me some top end and detail, for modern recordings and formats!
that's one way to go if you want to buy cheap band often. Old speakers may soldier on but unfortunately foam will disintegrate, rubber will perish and crossover components will break down

podknocker

That's true. Even a pair left in the original box, in a cool place would probably deteriorate, after 20 years, never mind a pair that's been stressed to near bursting every day. Need someone to 'have a word' with IAG and get some new Mission 751 Freedom released. As I mentioned earlier, the newer models seem very lacklustre, from the few I heard up to around 2 years ago. They also look a bit drab and as someone else said, people do buy with their eyes, before sound, even with loudspeakers. Come on Mission!

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately so. Mission speakers used to be quite cheap, perhaps IAG plan cheaper models in the future.

Where they? They made some very high-end speakers back in the day 780 series were a real treat (still are) and they made a gloss black tower for around the 4k mark (or a little more) a name beginning with an E I can't remember now. And their "budget" offerings to this day will give some mid-range (800-1k) speakers a serious run for their money.

There was a time they couldn't put a foot wrong.

For this sort of money, they have some serious comp from JBL, klipsch heresys, KLH and a few more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts