Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol blu ray £7.99 only!!

Play.com's one day only promotion:

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/29505302/Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol-Triple-Play/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=2&searchfilters=ae212%7b646620,648062%7d%2b&urlrefer=search

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Damn! I bought it when you kindly told us last week about the £10 Tesco deal! As well as being £2 cheaper, this one promises to arrive sooner - the Tesco disc, ordered at midday on Thursday, is not here yet. I'm crying into my porridge! Still, I thought that last week's £10 offer was fair, so I mustn't complain .......

Son_of_SJ said:
Damn! I bought it when you kindly told us last week about the £10 Tesco deal! As well as being £2 cheaper, this one promises to arrive sooner - the Tesco disc, ordered at midday on Thursday, is not here yet. I'm crying into my porridge! Still, I thought that last week's £10 offer was fair, so I mustn't complain .......

I know it won't make you feel any better; I did not order from Tesco & wanted the price to come further down. I already watched the film twice in cinema (on IMAX the 2nd time around).

I did not expect the price to come down so quickly. Ordered one this morning! :dance:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I know it won't make you feel any better; I did not order from Tesco & wanted the price to come further down.

You're right, it doesn't make me feel any better! You were being cunning (and wise, as it turns out) in expecting the price to fall further! Still, I expect I'll revive when the blessed thing arrives from Tesco, Monday afternoon now and still not here yet.

Interesting that you have seen it twice in the cinema, once at IMAX. My most recent cinema experience, The Dark Knight Rises which I saw in the Dominion on Wednesday, was pretty poor in terms of picture (black level was more like mid-gray, really it was not good) and sound (almost nothing coming from behind and from the right, bizzarely). After about 10 minutes I started thinking how much better it would be on even my bedroom system. The reclining seats were great though. However, I've not seen Mission Impossible at the cinema, so I'll come to it with a fresh mind. As you have seen it twice, perhaps you could let us know how playing it on your home cinema compares with the ordinary cinema and also with the IMAX cinema.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
professorhat said:
Cheers - also price matched now on Amazon for those with Prime delivery.

Thanks for the heads-up - £7.99 and free delivery.

Mrs C loves Mr C (that's my Mrs C...not his Mrs C...she doesn't love her Mr C, I don't think.)
smiley-smile.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I know it won't make you feel any better; I did not order from Tesco & wanted the price to come further down. I already watched the film twice in cinema (on IMAX the 2nd time around).

I did not expect the price to come down so quickly. Ordered one this morning! :dance:

My £10 Tesco one arrived this lunchtime, seven days after I ordered it. However, I can't really play it during the daytime, and I have a meeting this evening, so it won't be until Friday evening that I have a chance to play the thing, never having seen it in the cinema, remember. I'm still keen to hear what you think of the Blu-Ray disc as played on your home system, since you have seen the film at the commercial cinema twice, once on IMAX.

My disc hasn't arrived yet. Will post my findings when I watch the film.

Regarding IMAX,

1) More than an hour's footage of The Dark Knight Rises was shot with an IMAX camera. So watching the film in any screen other than IMAX will result in downscaling of the picture. Try watching the film on an IMAX screen.

2) Likewise, the Burj Khalifa sequence in MI: Ghost Protocol has been shot with an IMAX camera. The effect was splendid on an IMAX screen.

Many non-IMAX films are also released on IMAX screens (Spiderman, Prometheus & Avengers for example). They're simply upscaled images to fill the screen. So the resolution suffers. But because Spiderman & Prometheus have been shot with a RED EPIC camera, the resolution is better than the conventional films but still less than an IMAX film.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
so it won't be until Friday evening that I have a chance to play the thing, never having seen it in the cinema, remember. I'm still keen to hear what you think of the Blu-Ray disc as played on your home system, since you have seen the film at the commercial cinema twice, once on IMAX.

I'm quite impressed with the sound and picture on the Blu-Ray, though the film perhaps goes on for about 15 minutes too long, but I remain keen to hear your opinion on how the Blu-Ray compares to your two cinema experiences.

Finally got to watch the film on blu ray last week (twice). IMAX experience was undoubtedly the best of the lot, with the opening shot of Budapest, and of course the Burj Khalifa sequence looking particularly stunning. The latter scene was enough to justify the IMAX expenditure! ;) Even the sound was brilliant

About 30 mins of the film was shot with an IMAX camera.

When i watched the film at my local cinema, I was suitably impressed with the Burj Khalifa sequence that made me decide watching it again on IMAX. Both sound and picture were good, of course not as good as IMAX.

I thought the blu ray transfer was excellent. There were a lot of panning shots but no judder, the fast motion was handled brilliantly and the pictures were expectedly sharp. Even the sound department did not disappoint.

If I want to compare, I would say the blu ray experience was on par with the local cinema experience, but IMAX was way better than the two.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts