mission 870se v WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
sorry did a copy paste of the last bit lol

basically wil be lookign to add a 2nd system ... i have some old , but trustworthy mission 780se speakers connected to my nad315 bee amp .. possibly looking to get the denon 38 micro .. but wondered which would be better for each system ?

its nop real biggy as i ,ainly listen to my music in my house with headphones .. the 2nd system is going down gf house :)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I had the 780SE's running on the end of my Pioneer in a bed room set-up. Loved them, but found the bass a bit too forward; probably more to do with my room size, though, and wish I'd never sold them now.

The Diamonds are wonderfully detailed little speakers and worked exceptionally well with the DM37, so more of the same I would have thought with the 38. Really wish I'd found the time to hook up the Mission's to my Denon when I had it to try that combo out but a quick sale got in the way. I suspect they would have worked extremely well together.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
yeah ive had teh missions about 8 years ( maybe abit more .. tiem passes quick lol ) and all my high-end has come and gone .. kept the missions in storage during periods as had better speakers .. but these have stood the test of time with me ,, sitting on my nexus 6 stands atm .. they dont get much use .. unless folks are out and i can turn the volume up :D

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Also consider these. I had these with my DM37, and although probably not quite as detailed as the Diamonds they do give a serious kick, particularly in a smaller room. I loved them, and at that price they're a steal.

EDIT - OOOPS! Perhaps not! Thought it meant price WAS £49, not SAVE £49! Oh dear, I'd better have one less beer *sigh*

T

the record spot

The 780SE was highly regarded in its day and it'll stand up well still. I'd expect a well looked after pair to sit comfortably with better components than the Denon, so it would last an upgrade or two over time. Excellent little box.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
yeah £300 for the missions back in the day seems like a bargain now .. although when i bought them they were my first proper hi-fi speaker ( i had a mission 700 surround system as well at teh time )

and also had the inards replaced as was a design fault with sap would run at high temps . so they are prob 5 years old

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Had my Mission's earlier this year bought for £35 with the original receipt; £250 in Jan 1995. Immaculate but for a coffee cup ring on top of one of the speakers.

Wasn't suggesting that you use them as a permanent hook-up with the Denon, just wished I'd found out how they worked together. Never mind, reasons to be cheerful as I order my Neutrons on Friday!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
They are! Not heard them with either of my amps to be honest but I suspect they may work best with the Marantz, although time will tell - either way I know I won't be disappointed.

Only heard them the once at a friend of a friend's place and I was TOTALLY captivated (I have no idea what they were played through but I was told afterwards it was not particularly "high end").

Seriously looked at the Leema Xero's for the SSAV £349 offer, but I would have had to have demoed them elsewhere and then done the "dirty" if I liked them (no thanks). Rega RS1's I could not find to listen to, and as much as I wanted to listen to the Focal 706V's for all the exceptional reviews/write-ups I have read on these, I just could not live with an exposed tweeter - or driver for that matter - as I have to think about damage limitation (wouldn't trust myself to end up poking a *** in it! lol).

New amp up next in a few months, and that's when my nightmare's TRULY begin!

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you've got a few different permutations you could go for. I ran 9.1s from a NAD C315BEE for a few months and really loved the sound they gave. Big thumbs up from me. I only upgraded as I won some lovely floorstanders from What HiFi.

TRENDING THREADS