Mission 752 Freedom.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, Just out of curiosity. Has anyone compared the Mission 752 Freedom to the older 752s? Does the Freedom model sound better? And what amps have good synergy with the Freedom 752s, and older 752. Kind Regards.

T

the record spot

Not compared them directly, but have had my original 752s for a couple of years now. They're very detailed, open and dynamic speakers. The main difference between the two is the arrangement of the tweeter. The 752 has a mesh dome metal tweeter, the Freedom inverts the position with the bass driver to the top and the now silk dome tweeter below.

People often comment that metal dome tweeters can be harsh, or too bright. I disagree. I think you can say that about any set-up if you get the balance wrong between the separates. In any case, speakers with silk dome tweeters can be accused of brightness too, so this is hardly the preserve of their metal brethren!

To partner, if you go for the 752, I'd avoid bright sounding electronics and I'd look for an amp or source which has a good low end to it. I used to pair the speakers with a Marantz PM6010-KI, which had detail but not enough body to it. My CD player doesn't major on bass and the 752s have been accused of being lean, so you see the problem. It sounded good, but really not engaging.

One Sansui AU-717 later and we're on the money; the speakers really sing, music sounds very lifelike and the setup really delivers.

Hope that helps; incidentally, while the Freedom is meant to be the improved model, think of it as the same but different. The original 752 has its fans (as does the 753); both however, would be great choices and stack up well even 15+ years on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for responding.

Yes, helps a lot. Thanks.

Very interesting to read your using an old Sansui amp with the Mission's. I could be wrong, I think there is another member here that is using the same Sansui amp with Mission 751s.

A

Anonymous

Hi rs,

Still using the lovely Sausui Au 717 - but now have a pair of original 752's to complement the original 751's. With 2 months of side-by-side listening for comparison can say they have very similar characteristics with a few subtle differences. Both are very open, transparent and revealing but would say the smaller 751's are perhaps a little more so (read - critical/unforgiving) with a touch more "punch". The larger 752's have a little more lower-mid range and bottom end and are perhaps a little more "forgiving". For the size, the 751 is an amazing speaker and excels at voice and piano. Still use a NAD amp to drive a pair in our family room. Now have an extra pair I am loath to part with - smart looking and such lovely sound. Have never heard a Freedom model in the 75 series but am very happy with what I've got.

A

Anonymous

Are the original Mission 751s revealing with recordings? For example, you play a song that is badly recorded, the 751s will sound bad?

maclab- What NAD amp do you use with the Mission 751s?

T

the record spot

I recall the 751s as being quite revealing, so it depends on whether you have a lot of discs that might be found out as having less than stellar production. I never had an issue with it though, but it does depends on more than just the speakers and the other gear you're putting them in with.

A

Anonymous

I've been reading that Audiolab amps work very well with the Mission 752 Freedom.

Is the new Audiolab 8000s better sounding over the Original (British) 8000a and 8000s?

A

Anonymous

I had the 752 Set up with the AudioLab8000A and they work great together. When i swicthed to Roksan Caspian amp it sounded too bright. Now using Whaferdale speaker and is also bright.. Should have gone for a more laid back speakers... I have not tried the freedom 752 tho.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

As a owner of the Mission 752 Freedom and somebody who hasn't looked into speakers for many years... with what is the 752 comparable these days? For example, if I say the MA RX-6... Is it way above the 752, or is it somewhat in the same league?

I find it hard to place the 752 after 13 years (or so) in the current speaker market.

Regards,

T

the record spot

I'd suggest, having heard some Dali Ikon 5s (£1000) last Summer that the RX6 would be a minimum but might be more of a sideways move than upgrade. Not heard it, but if the 752 wasn't outclassed by the Ikon 5...

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Still have my pair of Mission 752's. Replaced with the Rx 6's. Have never done a side by side comparison since i bought the MA's. Would be very interesting to see what the difference is. Shouldnt be a massive job to do as i now have banana plugs on the speaker cable for easy changing!! Still planning on selling the 752's though.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
But do you find the Rx6 'better' than the 752?

Problem is that I have my speakers for more than 10 years, so they must be doing something good, but I'm missing a bit of bass. So I'm thinking of changing speakers... On the other hand, a simple test by putting a DAC behind my Squeezebox (my primary source) gave me a little bit more (controlled) bass. So now what to do? Go for new speakers or keep the good old 752 and go for a nice DAC?

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
not really a help but im another fan of the older mission speakers i spent near £850 2 years ago on all my ma bronze speakers to find that they are all unreal at home cineama but for music they were not my cup of tea, anyway my friend let me borrow his mission 700 series standmounts and they are great the soft dome tweeter is very good not the last word on midrange detail but so smooth and the bass is wide and solid i like the fact mission speakers had a spell were they are front ported and use 2 or 3 holes rather than one big port.

so i would not right mission speakers off and i still think way to many people swap speakers far to quickly like record spot said he played with cd players/amps first.

good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts