Mission 733i on a certain auction site....

T

the record spot

I wouldn't normally plug someone else's auction, however, there are a pair of Mission 733i floorstanders listed on a certain well known auction site just now. There's an opening bid of £50, collection only (in Dorset I think) although the guy will post out at cost. If you do live locally and are looking for an inexpensive but good value speaker upgrade, you could do a hell of a lot worse than these.

He's also offering the chance to listen before you take them away and the appear to be in very good condition. These are great speakers and the seller is bang on when he says they just communicate the music, which they do with aplomb. Had mine for about 11 years now and they are still doing a fine job.

Apologies if this contravenes a site rule here; unintentional if so.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
They're 733s, not 733is, I think - and as long as you're not the seller or his best mate, which looks pretty safe given the relative locations, no problems with you posting this.

T

the record spot

Thanks very kindly; incidentally, the guy's listed them incorrectly - Mission originally put the 733 out with a metal domed tweeter which they refined on the "i" version. They didn't appear to change the label at the back of the speaker (can't tell on the photo but mine don't have the "i" designation) but put sticky red "i" labels on the boxes instead.

Your predecessors rated them as being 5 star boxes and "good with all kinds of music" at the time (1997 or 1998?). I think the Q35s (or 35.2's) picked up the group test win overall though - pah, what'd they know!

Part of Mission's golden age I think - the 75 and 73 ranges were superb for the money; even on performance alone taking away the VFM element, they delivered.

(And next week on the Hi-Fi History Channel, I'll be talking about shellac.....)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, and I wish late 1990s was the time of my predecessors, but I was there at the time. But you can't really expect me to remember the details of every speaker we've tested!

emotion-3.gif

T

the record spot

OK, I'll give you that Mr. E. - any particular favourites from that era yourself? Not necessarily Mission either. It seemed to be a good era for gear which was well specced and well built (Teac's VRDS-10 cd player springs to mind).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts