Minimum volume ... maximum sound?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What's the secret to getting the best out of listening to music at low volumes.Is the general consensus that valve amplification and the 'tonal richness' it provides the best solution?Or are there good hybrid amps / solid state amps that can achieve a full sound at low volumes with or without loudness/bass contouring?Is a high speaker sensitivity important in a speaker and which speaker designs are better at low volume .. electostatics, horns, transmission line etc.Or is the answer to just get some good headphones :)
What's the secret to getting the best out of listening to music at low volumes?

Is the general consensus that valve amplification and the 'tonal richness' it provides the best solution? Or are there good hybrid amps / solid state amps that can achieve a full sound at low volumes with or without loudness/bass contouring?

I understand the importance of high speaker sensitivity but what else concerning speaker design is best for low volumes .. big drivers, electostatics, horns, transmission lines, port arrangement etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
.. ps My speakers are 89dB (side ported) and I've been thinking of trying them out with a valve amp just to see how the combination sounds at low to modest levels ... which is where the volume control spends the most of its time.

matthewpiano

I've never been able to work out what the secret is. Most of my listening is at low to modest levels and, thankfully, my current set-up is superb in this respect. Strangely I haven't always found the Quads to be good at low levels when driven by other amplifiers so it has to be down to the synergy/current flow between the amp and speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I've found my genuine Class A SS amp, mixed with sensitive ported or TL speakers works very well. I think Acalex commented on the low volume capability of this amp.

Tubes may work as well, but I don't have enough experience to comment.

SteveR750

tino said:
SteveR750 said:
Headphones?

I almost added that line to my original post :grin: .. but I like the sound to be in and around the room not just in/on my head.

Without wanting to sound to facetious, move house. Easy for me to say I know, as one of the few *fortunate* results of getting divorced and losing your house is you get to rent, which means you can pick and chose and move upon a whim; though I wouldnt suggest that the pursuit of audiophle nirvana is remotely close to such drastic action. Well, maybe. :)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
tino said:
SteveR750 said:
Headphones?

I almost added that line to my original post :grin: .. but I like the sound to be in and around the room not just in/on my head.

Without wanting to sound to facetious, move house. Easy for me to say I know, as one of the few *fortunate* results of getting divorced and losing your house is you get to rent, which means you can pick and chose and move upon a whim; though I wouldnt suggest that the pursuit of audiophle nirvana is remotely close to such drastic action. Well, maybe. :)

Do you audition your houses? ;)

SteveR750

Only with my eyes!

Which is pretty poor IME, the if it looks big/square it will be fine doesnt always work, but I'm about to move for the 4th time in 3 years. The boxes are ticked for size, shape, solid floor, carpets, potential for big curtains, drapes, pictures; anything to help prevent unwanted reflections and standing waves. The fact that its nearer my kids is a bonus ;)

Like Matthew I'm not sure what or whether there is a secret. I know that a combo of amp and floorstanding are very good for low levels. One of my pre-requisites was a set-up that's particularly good due to the fact I play late at night and mustn't wake little'un.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I've found my genuine Class A SS amp, mixed with sensitive ported or TL speakers works very well. I think Acalex commented on the low volume capability of this amp. Tubes may work as well, but I don't have enough experience to comment.

Yes, the AMS35 is superb on this. It is very enjoyable at low listening level, no need to bring up the volume. The Jadis works even better on this...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts