minimum amp for b&w 805s speakers?

aidan

May 27, 2008
Visit site
was thinkign of taking out a small loan and getting b&w 805s speakers, what sort of amp should i be looking at to get the most out of these speakers? was thinkign maybe naim nait5i? with the matching cd player? or should i be l,ooking at something with more power, my room is small and the speakers will need to be put close to a wall, would this dim their performance too much?

thanks in advance for any help

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Im using 705 series speakers and they are power hungry speakers minimum of 50 watts which is what my pre and power has.

I am using with Naim electronics nac122x pre and nap150x. I find they do cope pretty well but they certainly are juicy.

I demoed the 805 against the 705 and chose the 705 because i find them very similar sounding. Only the bass and treble are more refined IMHO.

May I suggest some Dynaudio 1.1 contours as this is what I will be purchasing soon having heard them with Naim system and it blew me away.

It will suit Naim better - my opinion only. Im selling my 705's soon to buy them.

aidan

May 27, 2008
Visit site
thanks a lot for the reply i just checked out another option that may seem a bit extreme but should most likely sound better if i decide i can stretch to it, it would also make upgrading in the future a simple matter of better speakers.

i know in the uk plinius gear is around 3000 pounds, im from australia, and the 9200 here costs $5000, which is the same as b&w 805s speakers. lol, quite ridiculous, the plinius cd player, 9200 amp combo would sound good with these speakers? i know the plinius integrated puts out 200w per channel... i also know they got 5 stars in what hi fi magazine

am i going over the top? as a loan for 15,000 would take me possibly three years to pay back and end up costing me twenty... but i am impatient...

i suppose the basic question is how crazy am i being? thanks for any more replies

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i might be wrong but i seem to remember seeing a review that said the 805's need a fair bit of room in between the speaker and rear wall. i think i read 1 meter.

A

Anonymous

Hi. The B+W are a great all-rounder and highly compatible with most quality amps. I'd recommend you getting one with at least 75watts/channel (preferably >100W/channel) to get the best out out of them even though at 88db sensitivity means they can still be adequately driven with lower powered amplifiers. The Naim is rated at 50w and I'm sure would be fine but IMHO there's no substitute for power and I think you could find better (others will probably disagree). Something like a MF A3.2/ A3.5 (found ex dem/2nd hand) or Primare I30 would be a fabulous match.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts