Minidisc to Laptop / mp3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am trying to transfer a recorded event (via mic) from my minidisc to my laptop for onward copying to mp3/ cd. I have connected the MD and laptop via a 3.5mm jack to jack cable from the phones output (analogue) to the mic in / line in (pink) socket on the laptop and am trying to use sound - sound recorder in my Windows XP laptop using the path Start - Accessories - Entertainment - Sound Recorder. I have clicked on the speaker icon at the bottom r.h. toolbar to expand the volume menu to include the mic in volume slider on which I have unclicked Mute and set the slider to about half way. I have replayed the source from the MD and it relays through the speakers OK but when I press the red dot Record button on Sound - Sound Recorder it only seems to give a max 60 seconds of recording. Has anyone any suggestions on how I can successfully transfer this 1 hour long recording to my hard drive?

John Duncan

Get something other than sound recorder for starters, because it does indeed only record 60 seconds. I've used some bought software in the past but don't know the free ones - I will investigate.

Edit: Audacity looks just the thing.

A

Anonymous

Thanks JD, I actually have downloaded Audacity on a friend's recommendation (for some other use at the time) but not got my head around it yet.

Have you used it and do you know how I would carry out the transfer to hard drive folder that I wa nt to do?

Cheers!

Gaz

John Duncan

No i haven't, but I would expect it to be set recording levels/press record/play source. Ther will almost certainly be options to set recording quality so that you can record direct to mp3 instead of having a wav intermediary.

A

Anonymous

I have set the recording level to the lowest mic input and it's just bordering on distortion at high soprano frequencies.

However I am unsure as to which setting I should select for Export as mp3 or Export as WAV to enable a playback on Windows Media Player and a copy to cd.

Is anyone familiar with Audacity who can advise on the settings I should use to achieve a good recording from the minidisc which will play back in the same quality to cd / mp3 or is there another free download apart from Audacity which is worth pursuing?

All I want to do is input my minidisc recording and record it to a cd & mp3.

Help!

John Duncan

Export as wav to get the nearest to the original quality on the CD, though either can be played in media centre.

As for the record level - can you turn down the minidisc player? Presumably you're using the (variable-level) headphone socket?

A

Anonymous

Thank you John.

Yes turning down the ouput volume level on the minidisc did the trick and I was also able to save the project via Export to WAV format which means I can now choose to burn to CD or play via Windows Media Player.

Thanks for your assistance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts