Mini DV transfer to DVD..works but doesn`t?!

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. I have borrowed a JVC-SR DVM 70 and finally managed to transfer a mini DV to DVD...it wasn`t easy! No problem playing back on the JVC. However, on my Denon DVD 1930 it simply doesn`t work?? It reads disc error (I checked in the manual and the Denon is capable of playing DVD-R discs). I tried both DVD-L DL discs and DVD-RW and the JVC said these discs could not be used for this purpose. I used a Maxell DVD (two in fact, both worked). I then noticed by chance on the side of the JVC there is a stuck on note saying JVC or Philips DVD. Could this be the problem? I went to the shops yesterday but was unable to find these DVD`s. I have more than 20 family mini DV`s,so fingers crossed and than you for any advice.

iMark

I never even knew that such a converting recorder existed! You learn something new every day. It certainly looks like the machine for converting miniDV tapes to DVD.

I have found the manual for your machine here: http://books.jvcservice.com/Download/278756299/LPT1006-001B.pdf Downloading is very slow, so be patient. From reading the manual I think I know what the problem is. You need to finalise the DVD before you can play it in another player. (See pages 7 and 75) I remember we had to this manually when we used to burn DVDs on our Sony HDD/DVD recorder. Without finalising the discs wouldn't play on another machine.

I don't think the brand of disc should make any difference. Any DVD-R should work. However, you might want to look into copying these family videos on archival grace DVD. Verbatim make these discs which apparently have a lifespan of hundreds of years. http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/dvd/archival-grade-gold-dvd-r/

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you iMark for your reply, I was beginning to think there would be no replies! I did actually solve the problem. I asked the people from whom i borrowed the machine and they told me just whay you did, ie. finalise the DVD! So I got all 22 onto DVD. And as you said, the make makes no difference, just has to be -R. Those archival grace DVD`s look very interesting, thanks for that. All the very best to, thank you.

iMark

I hadn't looked on the forum for a couple of weeks so I hadn't seen your question earlier. Glad to hear that it all worked out in the end.

The extra grade DVD's or Bluray discs for archiving purposes aren't a bad idea at all, especially for unique footage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts