Military to be drafted in to assist NHS

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Government is considering drafting in the military to assist the NHS during the Covid-19 crisis. I would presume that this will be the medical arm of the forces.

Would it be possible to draft some more service personnel in to police supermarket checkouts to stop people panic buying? I'm sure a rifle muzzle poked up the nostril would soon make these idiots think again, (personally I'd pull the trigger).

Since the supermarkets have started putting a limit on identical items purchased there are arguments galore at the checkouts, (Source: a nice lady shop assistant in Morrisons today, who has basically had enough as her work colleagues are dropping like flies and they don't need all this sh*t from the public).

Reactions: Gray

Samd

Not just medics - we don't have 20,000 of them. I, as an 'over 70', went to local store yesterday to catch the first hour (over 70s only) and the place was packed with all ages and a gentle-looking woman at the entrance basically saying good morning!!

scene

Government is considering drafting in the military to assist the NHS during the Covid-19 crisis. I would presume that this will be the medical arm of the forces.

Would it be possible to draft some more service personnel in to police supermarket checkouts to stop people panic buying? I'm sure a rifle muzzle poked up the nostril would soon make these idiots think again, (personally I'd pull the trigger).

Since the supermarkets have started putting a limit on identical items purchased there are arguments galore at the checkouts, (Source: a nice lady shop assistant in Morrisons today, who has basically had enough as her work colleagues are dropping like flies and they don't need all this sh*t from the public).
With modern POS systems, could always reprogram the tills to replace the BOGOF offers with "Buy Two for the price of Four" to discourage hoarding...

Reactions: bigboss
D

Deleted member 2457

Supermarkets and Costco are limiting the amount of items you can buy eg Costco 1 packet of toilet roll each, 1 packet of tissues each. Waitrose 3 milks each.

D

Deleted member 108165

Thing is it's down to the shop workers to police it and they're under intense strain too.

Heartfelt plea by a critical care nurse on BBC news this morning who couldn't get the shopping she needed after working her shift, in tears pleading for people to stop hoarding. This isn't right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 2457

Samd

With modern POS systems, could always reprogram the tills to replace the BOGOF offers with "Buy Two for the price of Four" to discourage hoarding...
Sainsburys' tills have been re-progged but then, on refusal of,say, the 3rd item, the checkout op has to dispose of the 'extras' - all extra work re-stocking items. Mind you, I noticed one of the butchers working on 'returns'!

DCarmi

My son is a manager at a large Sainsbury's (he's 24). They are down on staff and managers being off sick but bringing in temps as fast as they can. Hi co-manager is currently off with Covid-19. He is working 70+ hours a week at the moment and doing 12 days straight with no day off. He says the grief he gets from customers is appalling and shoplifting has gone through the roof.
He isn't actually doing most of the work he is supposed to. Instead he spends most of his time protecting staff and dealing with rants from despicable people who don't give a damn about anything other than themselves.

They have pensioners who work for them (it's quite common and some are in the 80s). Despite being told to isolate, some are begging to come in to help because of the stress they see other staff are under.

There is no problem with them being able to stock shelves and there is plenty back in the warehouses. There's just not enough wagons transfer stock to store, to cope with the insane demand.

My son is used to dealing with shoplifters, and the generally unpleasant but I have never seen him so shocked and angry as he is now.

D

Deleted member 108165

I feel for your son and all the other food-shop workers out there, they are doing a stellar job against this plague of locusts. These hoarding cretins need to take a good look at themselves in the mirror and ask the question: Am I being fair to others? No!

Tell him to keep up the good work as there are plenty who admire what he's trying to doing.

Did my normal weekly shop after work on Saturday, the hoarders had been at most of it so I just adapted my eating habits to ready meals. Couldn't get any bread or milk of any kind, no baked beans, eggs or fruit.

insider9

Must admit I've moved house today and had to do a little stocking up, but that's because I had nothing in the house. And since Boris announced lock down I decided to grab some extra few cans of tuna 😂

D

Deleted member 108165

Must admit I've moved house today and had to do a little stocking up, but that's because I had nothing in the house. And since Boris announced lock down I decided to grab some extra few cans of tuna 😂
Recollect you saying that you were self-isolating Insider, are you okay mate?

D

Deleted member 108165

That's good to hear (y) No problem here at the mo, annual leave this week but work in airline cargo transport sector so back to work next week.

Not sure when the Rubies will arrive as I was told they'd take 5 days to get here, I was due to collect them from the shop but they're now closed :)

Reactions: insider9

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts